Hacksaw Ridge

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Hermit, Aug 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The movie wasn't nearly as good as the book (few movies are). The book is quite good but does get bogged down with his later life and struggles with faith & alcoholism.

townsend likes this.
  2. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I was going to see Doctor Strange and Ouija, and at the last minute I added Hacksaw Ridge -- and it turned out to be easily the best of the three movies! I loved it.

3. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

And as always how bout them Japanese casualties ? Wiki:

77,166 Japanese soldiers, excluding those who died from their injuries later. No figures are given for supporting Japanese forces killed. Allied grave registration forces counted 110,071 dead bodies. 42,000 to 150,000 local civilians (including all male citizens over 18, and many drafted male and female students under age 18) were killed, committed suicide or went missing, a significant proportion of the estimated pre-war 300,000 local population

Think about that for a moment.

trem two and EVOLVIST like this.
  4. I've had plenty of time to think about that.

I've written about an incident on northern Okinawa, before the Marines went south, where they came across an open field of dead men, women, children, old people, all native Okinawans who had been machine gunned by US fighter pilots. Whether the pilot(s) had known that they were civilans or not is unclear. Neverthless, they were getting the hell out of dodge and didn't quite make it.

There was also a lot of prostitution in northern Okinawa, as the locals were corralled into what amounted to barbed wire prisons. Often if the woman wasn't offering her services, a Marine might take it anyway, as I know a Marine who witnessed other Marines taking turns on a reluctant young woman. Even children were offered up for sex by their relatives in order to be set free.

Yeah, so, in many ways it was the "Greatest Generation;" still, times change, people don't.

Scott222C likes this.
  5. winojunko76

winojunko76 Forum Resident

I need to see this as I love WW2 films. It's being called the best since Saving Private Ryan so I have high hopes.

6. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

There's a real sweet love interest as well. Lawd, that girl is gorgeous.

7. Monosterio

I kept wondering where I had seen her before, so I looked her up: Her name is Teresa Palmer, and she was in Lights Out from earlier this year and 2015's Mad Max: Fury Road. I'm guessing the latter is where she caught Mel's eye. And she's Australian, btw.

8. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Saw it yesterday and really liked it. Surprised to see Vince Vaughn as drill instructor. He did a very good job.

Teresa was in that Zombie movie a couple years ago. Lovely woman.

9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Going to see this Friday. My dad was a WW2 vet. From what Mel said he actually had to leave some of the unbelievable heroic things the man did out of the movie. He didnt think people would actually believe it because it was so over the top. A true hero.

blind_melon1 and budwhite like this.
  10. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

How gory are the battle scenes? I won't watch the beginning of Saving Private Ryan again and I heard this one's worse.

11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I haven't seen it yet, but I think you should skip it if SPR was too much. Here's a line from a review I read:

Karnak likes this.
  12. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

This film is consistent with the brutality seen in the SPR D-day beach scene. I felt Hacksaw had fewer false notes in it than SPR, where (IMO) Spielbergian schmaltz managed to creep in.
    The battle sequences in Hacksaw are white knuckle frightening...and has a surprisingly good rescue climax. This is a great anti-war film.

smilin ed and Scott222C like this.
  13. John54

John54 Senior Member

Is that near the Tallahatchee Bridge?

GodShifter likes this.
  14. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

A minor note, but she wasn't in Fury Road. She dropped out of the project.

15. Monosterio

Ah, OK. I thought she might have been one of Joe's wives. Thanks!

16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

An easy mistake to make; I thought the same.

17. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

I had a little trouble understanding how Doss wasn't spotted by the enemy in his later heroic efforts, - how large was this battlefield? The battle scenes were very disorienting, but perhaps that is a tribute to the filmmakers. With the noise, the dirt, the smoke, and constant threat to life and limb, it's a wonder any would make it out at all.

18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Grace.

Rhett and Karnak like this.
  19. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

He also used LOS (Line of Sight) when he could by using the big tree he used for the rope, trenches, holes, etc. to block their view.

Karnak likes this.
  20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

21. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Same here, love war movies.... :magoo:

22. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I'm assuming most of the snipers were taken out during the bombardments and initial charges. I remember seeing Vince Vaughn's character, while injured in the foxhole. picking off one sniper. Then when Doss drug him on the blanket to the tree and rope, Vaughn was shooting at others who were following from behind.

23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Can I ask where and when you served? Not being testy or a smart alleck. Would like you to share if you feel comfortable doing so.

24. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

Saw this today with my son and Dad. Loved it! Outstanding movie! Mel Gipson hit it out of the park with this film!!

25. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Saw it today and the battle scenes are brutal. This guy really was a hero. Wow!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.