The Crown on Netflix.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by chumlie, Nov 6, 2016.

1. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just finished it. Very good series I thought. Refreshing to see Queen Elizabeth as a human being. John Lithgow I thought did a brilliant job as Churchill.

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

We are not amused.

3. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

I thought this was a thread about the DC-300.

Ghostworld likes this.
  4. JudasPriest

JudasPriest Forum Resident

Have seen the first 7 episodes. This is a genre that I'd normally run a million miles from but this is well worth a watch. Not perfect but so lush and some excellent acting on occasion.

5. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

I am half way through the season, taking a few days off instead of doing my usual binging. Loving the heck out of it so far. Episode two literally had me in tears.

I like seeing the behind the scenes politics, too, such as the way Churchill recovers from almost unbeatable disgrace -using his own cleverness and an act of god. I also like Queen Mary - she reminds me of Margery Tyrell's grandmother (Game of Thrones, played by Dame Diana).

Terrific acting by the three leads. It's a treat to see Matt Smith doing something different than "wacky" and succeeding immensely.

SomeCallMeTim and Dr. Pepper like this.
  6. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

We stumbled into The Crown after The Fall ended...which we were NOT prepared for.
    I'm enjoying it a lot. We split time between The Crown and Foyle's War.

7. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Rare to find something that my wife and I both enjoy, but this series fits that bill! Well written, filmed, and acted! High ratings from me. Love Lithgow's Churchill!

8. Silken

Silken Forum Resident

I've only watched episode 1 and I didn't like it that much but I've read so many good comments and reviews that I'll give ep 2 a try.

9. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I am about halfway through the season and loving it so far. The acting is great. I loved seeing Lane Pryce from Mad Men in a much different type of role.

10. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Not bad, but they weren't really that normal :cheers:

11. Silken

Silken Forum Resident

Yes! I took me almost 30 minutes to realise it was him.

12. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

An excellent series! I think it takes a few hints from Downton Abbey, but also the theatrical/visual style of Stephen Poliakoff in "The Lost Prince". It was a bit strange to see John Lithgow cast as Churchill, but after a few episodes I've grown used to it (and he does a great job!).

SomeCallMeTim and Chris DeVoe like this.
  13. vonseux

vonseux Re-channeled Stereo

I feel a 2h30 movie would be better than this whole series... sooooo slow

14. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

It's very well done and entertaining. My only issue is why couldn't they have made a greater effort to make it historically accurate. It irritates me when writers/producers do that, because in most cases what actually happened would have been just as entertaining. Aside from that though, very well-written, well-acted and compelling piece of work.

15. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

We are losing our ability to sit still and focus. I don't exempt myself either. Hopefully, we realize what's happening to our attention spans before its too late.

I'm renting the blu-ray discs from Netflix. Enjoyed the first 3 episodes. The 2:1 aspect is superb on my set-up. Inconvenient to consider, but those stuck with panel displays are missing out! I just love the wide aspect. Had this been released in UHD, then I'd have bought it.

16. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I'm kind of surprised that they're replacing the leads for seasons 3 and 4 (and I guess every two seasons after that). Can't they just age the actors using makeup and even CGI?

17. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

I like that Olivia Colman is joining. She is fantastic.

18. JudasPriest

JudasPriest Forum Resident

Halfway through season 2 and I think it's growing in confidence - superior to the 1st run so far in my book

mdm08033 likes this.
  19. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Agreed. Season 2 seems a bit “grittier” and is very good.

bluejeanbaby and mdm08033 like this.
  20. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I wonder if any of the people portrayed in the series have commented on it? My favorite scene so far has to be the bit where Phillip and his personal secretary flip a coin. Phillip calls tails and his friend says "Sorry, your wife."

Boo Rad likes this.
  21. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Whoa! Season 2!?

I'll wait for physical disc. No streaming in my theater. Frankly, these should be released on 4K. The downside to streaming is that fewer appreciate that last 20% of image and sound quality. Sigh.

22. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Season 2 was fantastic, and I really liked the episode titled Paterfamilias. The entire cast of this show outstanding, moving forward with an entirely new cast will be interesting. I read an interview somewhere with Olivia Colman where she said that Claire Foy had the Queen down and she was going to pretty much copy her.

benjaminhuf likes this.
  23. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Enjoyed this show a lot. Strong performances all around, and amazing production values. From the little research that I've done, quite a bit of this is based on real stuff.

bluejeanbaby likes this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

From what I've read, very little isn't based on fact, and most of that was done to tighten the timeline somewhat. Like the King's lung cancer.

benjaminhuf likes this.
  25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

we just started it. Looking forward to dragging it out