Pink Floyd The Early Years 1965-1972 -Anticip/ation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Jul 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The covers are buried somewhere in this thread, cannot find them right now but I could re-post them if that's okay.

2. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Sure. If you want you can send me a message as well but no worries, really! :) If I use them they'll just be use when I rip them to digital format.

3. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Here's part one

4. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

And part two

5. Wells2010

Wells2010 Well-Known Member

Just picked up mine. I got the Pompeii disc but no OBC disc. My record guy is trying to track it down. On the other hand, its fabulous . Report more later.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  6. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Great! How did you find them? My searching was hopeless.^^

7. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

You can search within a thread and by member. Tried sleeves, covers, iTunes and a few others as keywords and finally found it with "artwork". The search is a little screwy sometimes

8. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

The OP corrected this and the frame rate is 23.976 (which makes much more sense). I'm assuming the NTSC DVds play at the standard 29.976.

andrewskyDE and Esperanzan like this.
  9. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

You kidding, I did write exactly the same keywords and nothing came up.^^ :sigh:

10. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Any opinion on the sound quality of the bonus disc yet?

11. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

It does. It really does.

andrewskyDE, Rekkerds and Mazzy like this.
  12. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

These look great, thanks!

andrewskyDE and Esperanzan like this.
  13. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

"But tacking on a few extra tracks that sound like garbage"....kind of what Jimmy Page did on the latest Zeppelin BBC CD.

I can sort of see why he did it given it was that or nothing for those historical recordings but, on the other hand, I can also appreciate your point of view.

14. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Is the audio on the included multichannel mixes, AHM, Echoes and Pompaii, 24 bit?

Six Bachelors and coffeetime like this.
  15. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Raving & Drooling

Ok so, I realize many are getting this box over the next few days and I don't want to be a downer, I'll be picking up a copy as well tomorrow! However, I'm starting to feel a bit weird about this box... content wise I'm excited, completely a dream scenario since the mid 80's for me, even with the couple missing bits and pieces. My issue is, I've always felt the set was over priced, by at least 300 dollars (it's $650 CAD)... especially now that I've seen the unboxing and a few descriptions of what others are seeing. It's like they dropped the whole shaping the box like a van thing, but kept the price point the same. The box just kind of seems quite underwhelming from a quality vs cost standpoint (disc issues, last minute content changes, same type of materials used in the immersion sets at 5 times the price, a massive box that probably didn't need to have a second smaller box inside it, potentially flimsy cases, saying it has 27 discs when it's closer to 18 due to video discs in two formats). It's hard to admit that my fave band is gouging their deeper fan base, but, it kind of feels that way... which leaves me in a weird space. I guess the worst thing about it is that I'll pay for this and get it home and enjoy the hours of material, but I will feel a little ashamed for doing so, and that seems kind of off to me.

I had to vent, hope you guys understand! ;)

16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I've just found out that the 2-cd compilation will have an Argentine release tomorrow. It will help me wait until I receive the box (hopefully) next week :D

17. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

The missing multitracks certainly explain why it has never been remixed.

goodiesguy likes this.
  18. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

You're not alone in that. Granted, I've held to my "wait until the price drops dramatically or the individual volumes drop" resolve, so I don't really have a pony in the race, but it's still frustrating to see build quality issues in a set that is this expensive - whatever the licensing and labor costs to assemble it may have been.

In some ways, I wish they'd gone the route of the Steve Hillage or King Crimson boxes to create something less remarkable as a collectors' piece, but more friendly in the cost department without skipping out on the musical and visual content.

19. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

I got mine today. I was considering buying the box, but as there are a lot of things in the box I don't need (the vinyl and the video stuff), I thought I'd start with this 2CD set and see where I go from here.

What impressed me the most, actually, was the beautiful booklet, which has a long story about Pink Floyd's early years, and some fine photos of the band. Music-wise In the Beechwoods is definitely worth mentioning. Surprisingly it is an instrumenal. I thought there was singing on it, but nevertheless it's a marvellous tune. And I gotta say, the 2010 mix of Matilda Mother beats the hell out of the album version.

turnersmemo and rontoon like this.
  20. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

I think that you may be the only one here who will be surprised by this.

21. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

22. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Should be, the multichannel mixes are all on DVD/BluRay.

Hymie the Robot and Hattipper like this.
  24. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I'm kinda like an opposite. I'd love to have the full content (books, posters, vinyl singles, etc.) but I don't have enough money for this box set unfortunately, no matter if it's 300 or 500 bucks.^^
    Besides having the two-disc compilation soon (which is cool already), I will wait till christmas though if some family member's gonna help me for it, or I will wait for the individual boxes and check ebay sometime if at least someone's gonna sell the bonus sub-box and vinyls in the future.

25. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Just for my own obsessive compulsion of having all of my CD's on the shelf together I do wish they would have gone with the old school 4 CD boxes for this vs the (I'm guessing) DVD sized books.

bobcat and andrewskyDE like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.