Pink Floyd The Early Years 1965-1972 -Anticip/ation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Jul 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Yikes! I'm very sorry to hear that. I hope you are able to sort it out and that they will take care of you. It's defective if the entire top of the box is missing.

Rosscoger likes this.
  2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Clear as mud, ha!

So some people actually have a Pompeii disc?

3. Wells2010

Wells2010 Well-Known Member

Yes

4. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

Blu Ray doesn't support 1080p/1080i 60 hz?

5. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Raving & Drooling

Everyone will get Pompeii stereo in this initial release (im assuming if they make more this will be fixed so that OBC and Pompeii have their own trays)... the issue is due to how they tossed the OBC 2016 into the shipping box on top of the box set, I feel like many wont get that disc for whatever reason.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    Six Bachelors likes this.
  6. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Why did they want to pull the Pompeii disc at the last minute to start with?

7. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

The blu-ray format can't do 1080p/60, it would need to be 1080i/60 (which here means fields per second rather than frames since it's interlaced). But players can de-interlace to output 1080p/60 to a display which can handle that.

8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

What the... When the main lid's missing someone probably has even stolen the bonus disc? Such a cr*ppy business. Sorry to hear that.

Rosscoger likes this.
  9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Doesn't support 1080p at 60Hz, only 1080i.

10. AlexC

AlexC Forum Resident

That means Pompeii is coming as another release! Maybe that secret Black Friday disc?

andrewskyDE likes this.
  11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Why are they pulling the Pompeii audio disc from subsequent releases?

Sorry for so many questions.. this is a tough thread to follow.

Note to Gorts- maybe the next version of the forum software will allow for a Wiki in the first post :)

Bill Mac and J_D__ like this.
  12. Cenobyte

No one knows, it was obviously included in the manufacturing and perhaps it was supposed to be a last min bonus disc which ended up being put in the OBC era case by mistake and by the time they realized it wasnt OBC 2016 it was too late so they tossed OBC in with the shipping box and called Pompeii Stereo a "bonus disc" as it wasn't on the track listing PDF released a while back.

13. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

Maybe it's time to lock this one and move to realiz/ation...?

14. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I mentioned this earlier. Maybe a vinyl version of the Pompeii performances for RSD. But let's surprise.

15. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Would be great if we're reaching page number 300 before the locking.^^

16. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

I am one of those confused here. The Pink Floyd Facebook page states that Pink Floyd fans ordering 'The Early Years 1965-1972' will get an extra piece of the band's history. The box-set will now also include a supplementary disc featuring the band's seminal Live At Pompeii concert as a 2016 audio mix. This means that every box should have it, because it's a bonus disc. It doesn't have anything to do with the Obscured by Clouds disc. I don't understand where people have that from.

bobcat, RiRiIII and andrewskyDE like this.
  17. Cenobyte

So, Volume 6: Obfusc/ation was supposed to have OBC 2016 as disc one. when you open the box and look at that space it will actually be Pompeii stereo (a mistake). The OBC 2016 disc was then added outside the box to correct that mistak. Then they released that "bonus disc" blurb on Facebook to cover their asses. There is no space in the Volume 6: Obfusc/ation box to house the bonus Pompeii Disc once you put OBC 2016 in the case where it belongs. Hope that makes more sense.

Tokyo Ghost, SamS and andrewskyDE like this.
  18. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

It was explained by Rontoon a few pages back, that this was in the original listing but then removed. It was sent to the manufacturers though by mistake. My question is, why was it considered, then pulled initially.

Cenobyte likes this.
  19. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

They originally meant for there to be a Pompeii disc, but then changed their minds and wanted it to be the OBC remix. But by error, the Pompeii was what was actually included in the box. Once this was realized, there were two solutions. Open every box and replace the Pompeii disc with the OBC or throw in the OBC disc in a paper sleeve and call the Pompeii disc a bonus. It was an error which resulted in a bonus (well, if your box includes the OBC disc), not a favor where they tossed in an extra out of the kindness of their hearts. This is why the Pompeii disc is within the actually box set and the OBC is tossed in.

20. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Oops, we answered at the same time.

Cenobyte likes this.
  21. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

Yeah, I was talking about display. I know how 25/50hz 0r 30/60hz can be upscaled and viewed . But really the issue is material, some of which I presumed had been shot on video, being reported as 24p, that seems odd. Didn't realise all that early Floyd footage was shot on film. The discs must be a mixture of 24p and 60i, mustn't they?

goodiesguy likes this.
  22. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

Not according to the Facebook page. The Pompeii disc is the bonus disc.

The bottom line here is that every box shall have both discs, and those who have bought a box that lacks one of them feel cheated, I can totally understand that.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  23. Wells2010

Wells2010 Well-Known Member

Im happy to have the Pompeii audio disc instead of OBC. Although it would be nice to have it seems how i paid for it.

Cenobyte likes this.
  24. Cenobyte

The Pompeii disc is only a bonus because of a manufacturing mix-up which was obviously caught too late to fix. I'm happy it's there and it's a good add-on... but it's in the spot OBC 2016 should be and OBC is floating around in a cardboard sleeve outside the box, which is why some people will be missing that disc, sadly.

rnranimal likes this.
  25. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

Can more people report on fps please - I'm getting worried. I recall the Dr Who debacle where they essentially slowed the video down by encoding it at 24p then stretched/ dropped the pitch of the audio to sync it all.

rnranimal and goodiesguy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.