Time Warner Cable Is Now Spectrum - still sucks

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Erik Tracy, Oct 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Our cable service is as good as ever here in Louisville with Spectrum. Very few issues. They discovered that I was being billed $6 a month for some bogus "line charge" from TWC and they gave me a 3 year retroactive refund for it! Also, my cable box has quit randomly rebooting at least once daily as it did under TWC.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    MikaelaArsenault and mgoad30 like this.
  2. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale Thread Starter

This just gets better and better.

So, the tech finished swapping out some DVRs, checks the levels and puts in some attenuators to knock down the levels to be within spec, has me sign his electronic pad to close out the service visit and BAM - all the DVRs stop working.

He says this is 'normal' for when a visit is closed out as completed - DVR service is disabled. WTF?

So, he gets on his cell phone to call a tech only line for code activation, and he's put on hold!

He's been on hold for 15 minutes now and we still don't have tv in the house.

F me in the heart.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

It's times like this you should consider switching to a rooftop antenna and buy your own DVR. :)

4. Erik Tracy

Can't - I live at the bottom of a canyon. The antenna mast would have to be massively tall to get local reception.

I am considering a switch to satellite, but my neighbors complain of other things related to that.

5. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Seems to be sucking worse. Glitches and slow-downs abound in the last few weeks.

6. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I dont blame you........ THE QUALITY OF PROGRAMMING,ETC...... Keeps getting worse yet they raise the prices??

Its sick and insane....

7. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Thanks for the support and understanding. I realize that I'm not alone with these issues, but after 25 to 30 years of paying our monthly bill on time to "Time Warner" and to be treated like this, is simply "shame on us"!

I'm actually working on (Part 1) of our remedy today, with the installation of a "Clearstream 4", an indoor/outdoor HDTV antenna, which will grab any local HDTV stations coming out of Cleveland, as we are within the 70 mile radius that it requires and with a fairly clear run.

(Part 2), is to either buy a new Apple TV (the one I have now is an older generation) and just stream whatever else we have to see (Honestly, the only TV show that I watch anymore is "The Big Bang Theory", but we're three episodes deep waiting in the DVR, so I guess that I don't even need that anymore. Another interesting solution in our area, is to get "Sling", which is about $25 a month, with no contract and about 40 channels, (no locals), including most of the ones that we would watch. The only downfall to "Sling", is that you can only use it on "one" TV at a time (and I need the ability for at least two). You can use one TV and also one phone or iPad, like device at the same time, but I'm not about to tell my wife at 5 in the morning, while she is getting ready for work and watching MSNBC, as am I in another room, that she has to watch on a damned iPad! Especially after I was kind enough to install a wall mounted HDTV in that bathroom for her!

There always seems to be some sort of "catch" with these "outsiders". I mean, I'd gladly pay an extra $5 bucks a month, for the ability to also be able to watch on a second TV at the same time, but they expect you to add a completely seperate second "Sling" account to be able to do that, which is NOT going to happen!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    MikaelaArsenault and Dude111 like this.
  8. Erik Tracy

After talking with the tech (who really was a good guy and tried to help out), he is subcontracted by Spectrum because it's cheaper for Spectrum. He said he services Cox, Direct, Dish, TWC customers in my area.

9. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Okay. Time Warner Cable. I thought this was a thread about The Weather Channel.

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Just checked, and our TWC/Spectrum bandwidth in West LA has gone from 300mbps about two years ago to 410mbps today. That's down; the uploads are deliberately throttled to 20mbps to screw with us.

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I had a free week of HBO last week and it didn't take me long to realize they really don't offer that much content for $50 a month. Not as much as Netflix. I think HBO will be in trouble soon. Their On Demand service is lacking. Some fantastic programs, to be sure, but not that many. I see HBO having to partner with a sports provider at some point, which wouldn't be a bad idea.

12. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

We've had AT&T Uverse for years--only have Internet service at this point. Our base rate is $66 but we top out at 20mbps and since they data cap and throttle I'm paying an additional $30/month for unlimited d/l. Spectrum is offering us unlimited data, no throttling, and 100mbps for $44/mo. for the first year and 65/month after that. Seems like a slam dunk, right? We've had stellar service with Uverse but I'd love to save $400 clams a year and get 5 times the speed. Only downside would be changing our email addresses. Thoughts?

13. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I'm tossing UVerse as soon as we clear out the DVR and going to get Dish for TV. UVerse TV has been glitchy for the last 3 or 4 months. We can't utilize two HD channels at the same time (view, record/view or record). They sent a tech out who upgraded our interior line (for free) but still it sucks. I think they've added too much load to the main box that's about a mile from us.

Maybe I'll check out Spectrum for internet after reading your post. Maybe UVerse throttling the data is what's causing us to not be able to use two HD channels at the same time.

14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

And pay up the wazoo after your super-awesome deal expires after the first year...

So, i'm with stable Cox Communications...so far...

15. Scott44

Scott44 New Member

Here is a good one. Moved into my house in July, living in the palm springs area so we have a lot of seasonal residents. One day in November I woke up and I had no service from time warner when I called them to question my outage they told me they hooked up my service using my neighbors address because my address wasn't in there pulldown menu when they set up my account. It just so happens that my neighbor, a seasonal resident, came back and tried to establish service, found my account was listed on their address so they disconnected me to establish my neighbors connection. A technician couldn't get out to me for one week to "set up" my address in there data base and when he came they charged me an additional fee for hooking up my service. I think Time Warner cable/spectrum, is horrible !!!!

16. Erik Tracy

So, Wrecktum is the company that is out to get us.

We get the cable bill for last month and it's $50 more - wtf??!!

Call to find out that we were charged a "house rescue" service visit for the problems above. And it was swapping out their sh!t.

Demanded that the charges be reversed: it was not a "rescue" and the tech fixed and swapped out their boxes and correctly enabled them.

F'in Wrecktum.

17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

called to question about slow email the other day.......spoke to a guy named "bob" who was NOT in the united states (accent gave it away) i asked to speak to an american, "bob" said he was...i hung up.

18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

You aren't going to speak to anyone in America because they outsource their call centers to India.

19. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

:laughup:

20. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Where I live, I vividly remember when what is now Spectrum was known as Manhattan Cable TV.

21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

No matter what the price, if I had to choose Netflix or HBO, it's Netflix by a county mile. HBO is like the AOL of streaming, for people to lazy or dumb to see their old standby is out of date.

22. audiomixer

HBO has higher quality original programming; not a bunch of out-of-date; lazy and dumb movies available.
    :yawn:

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Dumb movies is what all those premium movie channels show because that's what most of the public wants to see.

24. audiomixer

Let me rephrase then. I subscribe to HBO for the original programming, not the movies.

25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

$50 a month for HBO..........no way no how.

at most $15, and if you bundle it will be even less.

no cable company, no satellite company, actually no company on earth would even think to charge $50 a month for HBO. you had to read something wrong.

MikaelaArsenault and audiomixer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.