The Blacklist with James Spader

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Panda, Sep 19, 2013.

1. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

I hope my comments were not understood. I probably should have been clearer.

I have an incredible appreciation for James Spader as an actor for the exact reasons you've cited. His role as Alan Shore and his delivery of very complex dialogue were brilliant. This application of his skill set was exactly what made him so enjoyable to watch. What I had implied was the creatives
    with Blacklist had smartly let him do what he does best: show off. It was meant as a compliment, not disparagement.

2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

was there even one person in the entire united states of america that thought that alexander kirk was actually in that car?

i am quickly losing interest, although they tried to keep the original storyline going with the patent guy and the FBI, the whole liz, tom, and baby thing had better end soon, at least for me anyway. and i really don't even care anymore how the end it, they can kill all 3 of them, just get it done.

shokhead likes this.
  3. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I don't care about the love lives of the other members of the FBI team either.

shokhead likes this.
  4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i think the blond girlfriend will soon turn out to be an antagonist. in fact, i'll be shocked if she isn't.

5. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Maybe a spy?

6. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Maybe she's in cahoots with the Christine Lahti NSA character?

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The moment they go into those areas, I yell at the screen "BORING! Padding! Ponderous, man!"

Well, my point is that he's not showing off -- he's performing the dialogue as written. He's not chewing up the scenery and going over-the-top crazy. I think what drew Spader to the part (aside from the money) is that Reddington is a guy who has many layers and is hiding a lot of things from the people around him, plus he's smart enough that he's almost always one step ahead of his enemies. What's interesting to me is that he's a well-educated, erudite man who knows fine wine and good living, but also knows how to torture people and ruthlessly kill them without any warning. Red is definitely a memorable character; my main problem with the show is that all the other characters are about 1% as interesting.

DesertChaos and bababooey like this.
  8. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

This series seems to be going anywhere. The subplot, which was what kept the series alive (the relation between Reddingtonand Lizzy, Lizzy's origin) and use to play with unpredictability has become an predictable and corny boring staff. Criminal of the week doesn't surprise anymore either.
    How could they turned a good and top rate productions series into something so stupid, boring and predictable?

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Welcome to American network TV.

Generally, I think the culprit are the 14+ producers named at the head of the show. What I believe generally happens is the plots, long-term storylines, and character traits start to be written by committee, and so the overall concepts get watered down because they have to satisfy so many people before they get filmed.

10. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I see it's been so exciting nobody has talked about it since Oct.

11. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

They almost divulged if Red is her father! Again

Vidiot likes this.
  12. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Red whispers in Kirk's ear. We don't find out what he said, but suddenly everything is resolved. Who knew you could be this lazy and write for TV?

Veltri likes this.
  13. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

We both swore he whispered "yes".

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

"There is another." ;)

15. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

I gave up on the series a while ago but reading the comments just enhances my feelings - a great little mini-series idea, not so much an indefinite tv series. Sheesh, even when I gave up over a year ago it was dull and predictable, meandering along aimlessly - great case for giving them the heads-up - "hey guys, you're done....wrap it up in the next few episodes."

Spader is good, very good, but his thing wears off, especially when the plots and supporting cast are a little weak. Even Mrs DC, who loved the show and looked forward to every new episode has almost given up - it's now a "watch while doing workout on the treadmill" show and now has 5 or 6 episodes on the dvr along with her other workout shows.

16. rjp

rjp Senior Member

very bad 'fall finale" - another new idea that is a boatload of crap.

i thought for sure they were going to set up "tom"s" new show.

and we all now that the "who is father" question is really answered.

after the holidays they really really need to get back to the villain of the week premise or they are going to lose me, and i love spader but this 'father" thing is getting real old real fast.

17. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I'm with everybody here.. getting really bored with it..
    Shoot up a church shoot up a hospital..
    Whats next shoot up a toystore.. :rolleyes::laugh:

18. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

no ! it will be the dentists

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Naw, they refused to commit and had Reddington mutter, "what do you want me to say?" This goes with the popular theory that if you torture somebody long enough, all they'll do is tell you exactly what you want to hear... not necessarily the truth. I'm very tired of the producers just jerking us around. They need to do this:

[​IMG]

20. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Still watching it but it hasn't been great.

21. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

They backed themselves in a corner... time to end it..

22. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Is the baby kidnapped in every episode now??

Vidiot likes this.
  23. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

That kid certainly can act better than her mother.

Mirrorblade.1 likes this.
  24. AJH

AJH Senior Member

I recently read the ratings are not very good for this season, and the chance of the show being cancelled are now very good unless there is a major turnaround in the ratings.

25. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

Still on board . . but I admit, the "you lied to me I hate you were right all the time Red you lied to me . . etc." merry-go-round is wearing a little thin.