New Schiit Preamps and Power Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jeffsab, Oct 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

They won't. Jason Stoddard said so in his book "Schiit Happened".

2. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I don't know if everyone saw the video that Darko did at Schiit head quarters. It's pretty entertaining.

You have to click on the blue link to watch at Vimeo.

Kyhl and Ham Sandwich like this.
  3. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

I just wanna know when the Freya is gonna ship dudes! :tiphat:

4. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

So that's why hifi manufacturers don't often feature in videos... :faint:

33na3rd likes this.
  5. ServingTheMusic

Uh-huh.:agree:

6. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I will be very curious how these come out.

7. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

'Schiit' is not just a catchy name it's also a fairly accurate description of their customer service.

8. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

Something I don't completely understand on this one - if you put these into mono mode, they put out 400w @ 8 ohms... If I have speakers that are rated 20-400 watts at 4 ohms, what's that mean for me? Better to just run one if the thought of monoblocks was enticing?
    (for that matter, how do they get to 400watts @ 8 ohms from 100wpc?)

9. ServingTheMusic

Elaborate...?

10. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

What speakers are you using? I seem unable to view your profile page.

11. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

That's how bridging works. Bridging doubles the output voltage swing. If an amplifier is a perfect voltage source, bridging will quadruple the output power.

[​IMG]

12. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

Saga will be mine I predict. I already have a Valhalla 2 and it is great for what it does. A pre amp with tubes and remote for $349? Unreal!

13. jimbutsu

Don't know why that would be... I'll check it out.

I'm running ML 60XTs - supposed to take 20-400 watts @ 4 ohms. I've got a nova 125SE right now, which puts out plenty of juice. In reality, one wuld probably be plenty anyway, but decent monoblocks at such a low entry point are just too intriguing...

14. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

With those speakers, I think you'd have all the power you would need with a single amp but mono blocks certainly wouldn't hurt anything.

15. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I have never had any problems with their customer service. I've emailed them a few times and bought several amps and DACs from them. The only potential customer service issues I could foresee would be miscommunication in emails or lost emails if you pepper them with lots of pre-sales questions. I have zero worries about their warranty and product support. I have zero worries about my Schiit gear ever needing support, but if it ever does I know they'll fix it if it's in warranty and do their best if it's out of warranty. I don't expect any of my Schiit gear to ever need to be sent in. And I'm fully expecting my Gungnir and Modi DACs to be fully working 20 years from now.

For many people their pre-sales questions are already answered or addressed in posts on various forums and in reviews of the products. For the people that find the answers online like that there is no need for them to even communicate with Schiit for pre-sales questions. If you need a lot of pre-sales help and hand-holding then perhaps buying something that is sold through traditional brick-and-mortar local sales would work better for that (and cost more).

16. ServingTheMusic

Thanks for the details. I find it disconcerting when posters make general statements indicating customer service is good/bad with no specifics. It serves no purpose without context.

The only thing that customers may find frustrating is they don't answer their phone, ever. So I guess they do everything by email, which is not a big deal. Other really good companies do this to. Some even only offer support in their forums, like Roon. As long as you get the answers you are looking for it all works.

17. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

I've emailed them twice with questions and I just looked up what their response times were. It was 11 minutes the first time and 24 minutes the second time. That works for me.

Dino, Dreadnought and supermd like this.
  18. ServingTheMusic

That would work for me too. :righton:

19. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

When you bridge amplifiers (as in convert stereo amp to monobloc) each individual amplier output "sees" half the load. So, in the example above with an 8 ohm load, each output sees a 4 ohm load and works according to this. Connecting 4 ohm speakers to the bridged monobloc configuration would result in each output working into an effective 2 ohm load. This can become challenging for ampliers not designed for 2 ohm loads. Overload protection may kick in.

jimbutsu likes this.
  20. Ham Sandwich

I believe these amps may require the use of the balanced input (and a proper balanced signal) to use them as mono blocks. When they've talked about the mono block configuration they've been mentioning it in conjunction with balanced.

21. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

This hasn't been my experience at all....I'm in NY, and I've received responses from them at 11pm my time on a Saturday night, no less!

22. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

So no phase splitter? The problem with this approach is that the balanced line input must be symmetrical about zero volts to get the opposite voltage drive required for the bridged output. The worst case scenario would be 100% of the signal is on one phase and 0% (effectively zero volts) on the other. I think what you are meaning by "proper balanced" is equal and opposite voltages on the hot and cold wires - not always guaranteed. Normally a differential input stage will extract the difference signal from hot - cold phases.
    Does this mean that the Schiit power amps will only work properly in monobloc mode when driven by Schiit preamps?

23. jimbutsu

Quite clever of them if it does...

(But also a little risky)

24. Ham Sandwich

By proper balanced I just meant that I don't know if some of the cheats or methods some people (or gear) employ to convert unbalanced to balanced may not be suitable. We'll have to wait for more info about the amps and how they do the mono block mode to know more. But for now I'm assuming the mono block mode is going to require the use of balanced audio connections.

25. zonto

zonto Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.