New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Mine just arrived....flat, quiet, excellent.

jon9091 likes this.
  2. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Ach, sure, they've remastered the sleeve too. Helps you tell it and an original apart.

3. 68Mustang

68Mustang Forum Resident

Ugh it's not pulled through from imgur...

4. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

New smog free edition, now with less pollution!

Cliff, mikedifr0923, c-eling and 4 others like this.
  5. radiophonic

radiophonic Forum Resident

Looks like they've pushed the colour balance a bit, for visual impact. Quite unnecessary. Peter Christopherson was an excellent photographer and the old colour balance captured the menace perfectly. Mine is slated for delivery next week. I have a UK 3rd pressing in practically mint condition but the new one was only 16 quid, so I figured it was worth the risk.

jon9091 and Vinyl Addict like this.
  6. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Badly reproduced covers bug me as well...but isn't this what REALLY matters?

Thanks.

7. Smegman

Smegman Forum Resident

It's pretty obvious what they did with the new cover: the orange/teal treatment, opposite colors. If you look closely, you can see Optimus Prime near the pig.

8. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The cover isn't badly reproduced. Tone differences can be down to combination of different inks available today and the different card used. Maybe the original artwork is closer to the new colours? Unfortunately my copy had worse surface noise than the original.

richbdd01 likes this.
  9. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

I am liking this a lot. The popped cover art is to my liking. The sounds are very cool. It breathes at last whilst still being raw. Flat, clean and heavy (weighed in at 188gms 0n kitchen scales)

bootbox and culabula like this.
  10. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Mine is utterly flawless; I think it's the first time I've heard 'Sheep' on vinyl without that bloody crackle.

11. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Argh, and I gotta wait until December 2. Ratzinfratzin....

Vinyl Addict, Kyhl and Efus like this.
  12. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

I agree......if we were looking at the original cover everyone would be saying how "yellow and washed out it looks"

richbdd01 and dkmonroe like this.
  13. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Yeah, my Animals is on the slow boat from Europe as well.

The new BG DSOTM arrived a couple days ago, finally listened to it last night.
    I am comparing it to the Gray 2003 release, which mine is very quiet piece of vinyl, obviously cut hot.

I've got to go back to listen at some volume, which could be the difference, because initially I'm a bit underwhelmed by what I'm hearing.
    The 2016, is flat, quiet, though not as quiet as the 2003, which is good for me

Pretty open soundstage, nice seperation, except for the more congested sections, which do sound a bit better than the 2003, and its a real evenly mixed sound, which I'm not positive is a good thing.
    My amateur opinion, but dialing back the high end a bit, while helping certain sections, takes a big edge off the guitar work here (small guitar lick before the Time vocal, the sharp chord transition to Reprise being a couple examples) A good thing is the alarms and chimes are less of a shock on this version, than the 2003.
    I'm a guy that likes the high end and plenty of "air" on the recording, and right now, I'm leaning toward the 2003 over the 2016.
    But I'm going to take a 2nd listen to both records today, the BG volume up to see if that helps the overall guitar sound.

Really like hearing that BG's Animals maybe cut a bit more aggressively than these other 70's Floyd re-issues.

Kyhl likes this.
  14. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I'm sorry, but that picture will never look "cheery!" :laugh:

c-eling likes this.
  15. dkmonroe

Everybody's always like, "Oooo! OOO! This is somewhat different from my original and to the extent that it is different from my original, it is WRONG!" :laugh:

16. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Its a bit like when you look at old photographs from about 30 years or so ago, the colours always look a little 'anaemic', less vibrant etc. I don't have a great preference over either cover.

17. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

Thanks for your review, can't wait for mine, also on the slow boat to Portland.

I assume from your comments that the lp is not in a separate poly inner, but just in the cardboard inner sleeve like the EU WYWH? Hate when they do this...

18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

For sound quality improvements, or at least which sound the best within this reissue series, how would you guys rate them each from best to least?

richbdd01 likes this.
  19. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

My resolve not to buy into more remasters is dissolving - esp for Animals.

So, is the consensus to go to amazon.uk for Animals?

Hattipper likes this.
  20. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

So every other cover of Animals from every country on every format has been wrong until now? Interesting. :laugh:

21. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I might be at odds here with most, but I prefer the new cover.

22. dkmonroe

I doubt that EVERY Animals cover in EVERY format has been exactly the same. And I'm not saying that any previous covers have been "wrong", I'm just saying that the fact that the new one has some color to it doesn't make it self-evidently "wrong."

But most people are going to be like, "Hey, this isn't EXACTLY LIKE the copy I already have! How disappointing!" :laugh:

superstar19 and Kyhl like this.
  23. dkmonroe

Pfft. That smoke-belching factory is so cheery in the new one, I expect Baby Sun Face from Teletubbies to be rising over it! :laugh:

24. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Well, it's still not a cheery cover. Just slightly less gloomy.

superstar19 and dkmonroe like this.
  25. dkmonroe

Here's a better one:

[​IMG]
    Doctors have confirmed that even looking at this image for too long causes cancer in lab rats!

Jwag1, Vinyl Dude and painted8 like this.