Amoeba LA to close?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by zakyfarms, Sep 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident

I see Music Man Murray just south of the 10 is gone. That place was a cool, spooky anachronism, though I don't think I ever bought any records there because his prices were kind of high.

2. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I went back to Rockaway today and I withdraw my overpriced comment. Great store, and very nice people working there,

thesisinbold and mikeyt like this.
  3. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

It all depends on the titles, really. A while back I do recall being genuinly shocked at the prices on Neil Young. LPs I had bought for $10 - $15 a summer prior were now in the $25 - $35 range. Made me glad I got all the LPs I did when I did. My focus nowadays is primarily jazz, which I often find great deals for, but usually I'll spot a UK Beatles or something I know sounds great for very fair prices. I think finding great deals is harder nowadays than it was five years ago. Some of the other stores I mentioned are terrible in that regard, but I'll spare the details.

4. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

The one time I was there, it took me about 4 hours to browse through all their sections and search for everything on my wishlist! :p

5. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I'll say this about the record bins at Rockaway, they don't sell junk. I've always found the condition of their vinyl to be great, even the $2.99 cheapies.

6. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Arclight movie theater has very nice bathrooms.

7. Tjazz

Comparing Tower Records in Los Angeles to Amoeba?

Tower had several stores in the Los Angeles area with new product only. Amoeba has 1 gigantic store new and used, so you can find rare OOP items.

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Years ago it was all pricks working there, really glad to hear it has changed.

9. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

Bathrooms are a tough one on streets like Sunset, Telegraph and Haight Street (where all three respective Amoeba locations are). It's the homeless and drug factor. In Santa Cruz, most place stopped offering public bathrooms because the homeless would lock themselves in, wash up, etc. Many found condoms and syringes clogging up the toilets. Gross, right? Well, expensive and gross. So, for Hollywood: Park, hit up ArcLight theatre (halfway up the stairs). For San Fran, Whole Foods, then Amoeba...

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

So wear your Depends when you go shopping!

11. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

Jamesmaya is right. I miss Rockaway's parking lot sales-gawd were they good! Haven't been in there for some time, will try to get there in the next few weeks. Their vinyl selection is great! And yes, they still have cd's there. LOTS of paper goods (songbooks, sheet music, etc.) Then there are the music awards. And like James stated they know condition!!

12. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I was surprised that I made it through a 4-hour visit to Amoeba without once ever feeling the call of nature. I think I was too distracted by the shock of finding more of my wishlist titles than I'd ever seen before all in one place. ;)

jhm likes this.
  13. ijustdontknow

ijustdontknow Forum Resident

YES!!! I visited Amoeba for the first time back in April. I've actually thought of planning a road (or train) trip up to LA just for another visit, especially after upgrading my turntable and system. Other San Diego shops just too small. Plus my wife is on to me when I suggest we head to OB for burgers or fish tacos.

14. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

I like Record City though. That's the best we have locally.

15. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident

The shame is what they'd be putting up in it's place. I was just in there a couple of weeks ago and I don't know if I'll ever go back. There's just nothing there worth the time for me anymore.

16. Marc Perman

There are about a dozen other record stores in LA worth visiting next time you're in town.

17. thesisinbold

I'm in L.A all the time. Rockaway is my favorite.

18. Grant

What were you looking for?

somnar likes this.
  19. thesisinbold

Used records. It takes me about an hour to find something I'd want to buy. I'm just over it.

20. Grant

I found used records the last time I was there, but the prices weren't right. I found I have to be in the right frame of mind with lots of time. These days, I just don't have a lot of patience to go through thousands of records, especially 45s. Don't know why.

21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I look for hours and find nothing. Anything that seems interesting to me that I don't already own is overpriced.

thesisinbold likes this.
  22. Marc Perman

Amoeba is nearly out of the used vinyl business, it's just those two bins in the front of the store and near the back of the LP section. Their vinyl stock has become like a massive Urban Outfitters.

thesisinbold likes this.
  23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

But they do stock decent new pressings / reissues.
    its a good thing that I bought a ton of records when the gettin' was good. I have a few walls of goodies to explore and re-explore. I sold off a ton of dupes and no longer needed things - but I kept most of the best stuff.

I don't need Amoeba for vinyl.

24. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Maybe in LA. I was at the Berkeley store last week, and my perception is that they're used vinyl has gotten larger over the last few months. Lots more selection then I've seen in sometime. Classical was particularly full and the jazz section was too. Maybe the new "super store" that Rasputin has opened across the street has given them new incentive, but whatever it is it's nice to see, and certainly they don't look a store getting out of used vinyl.

25. Tjazz

a lot of small used LP stores have opened in the LA area. So maybe Ameoba is not buying as much vinyl. Record Parlour is just a block away.

Rockaway no longer has a 99 cent CD bin. :cussing:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.