Steely Dan Aja vinyl shootout

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sam, Aug 12, 2013.

1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I already did that. In my system, aside from the greater lower end weight - yes bass and lower drums have more presence on the Cisco - my AB is far more open, and the midrange to high end is more open and immediate. Vocals and instruments like saxophones sound much clearer and sharper as though a layer of gauze had been wiped away. Again, in my system, with the particular copies I have, the AB is startlingly more present and alive in the midrange on up.

Preston and Cassius like this.
  2. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I think you mean (Columbia's) Santa MARIA plant.

:righton:

AnalogJ and ifyouever like this.
  3. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

4. ifyouever

ifyouever Forum Resident

You'll note that I separated out bass and drums from the midrange in list fashion, using an Oxford comma. Sax and vocals are more meaty and present on the Cisco on my system. Drums and bass are no contest. The entire range of the performance-as-live-music comes across with more substance. I'll grant superiority of airiness in the high registers on the AB and Nippon Japan, and caveat that it's due to EQ.

5. AnalogJ

The midrange on up is far superior on my AB.

6. ifyouever

ifyouever Forum Resident

That's terrific you feel that way. Enjoy.

7. AnalogJ

I'll let others judge for themselves, but I did spend $30 on the Cisco when it first came out as a huge Steely Dan fan.

8. ifyouever

ifyouever Forum Resident

Steve wrote a wonderful and liberating couple posts over the weekend re: his preference for midrangey, original tube cut classical pressings over the presentation Classic, for example, has favored. End of day, not even factoring in substantial differences our myriad systems can objectively make, people hear into these pressings with powerful subjectivity, habits, and conscious - and subconscious - predilections.

That they do so with passion is only commendable.

markp and Slick Willie like this.
  9. AnalogJ

I didn't like the classical releases from Classic Records. For me, classical wasn't Bernie Grundman's strong suit.

10. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Actually, our host remarked on this in another thread. Bernie Grundman was forced to use a mastering system he didn't like. The sonics are a result of the sound color of that system.

11. AnalogJ

Did not know that.

12. Audjack

Audjack Forum Resident

my AA copy has bg in the deadwax

13. NightRelic

NightRelic New Member

I'll weigh in on the AB versus AA. After I picked up the AB version at a tag sale, I compared it to my AA version. I was surprised how much better the original AB pressing sounded. I ended up selling the AA copy. I have a friend who has the Mobile Fidelity version. I'm hoping to compare the two. Ewe compared the Mobile Fidelity version to his AA copy today. Mobile Fidelity was better.

14. Beachtraveler

Beachtraveler Active Member

So I picked up a copy of the AB 1006 online and the seller told me it was vg+ (close to nm). Of course it wasn't anywhere close. Tons of scuffing and scratches, though the sleeve is pretty clean. I was going to return it because of the rating variation (there was no offer of a discount from the seller, only return).

Now I'm not so sure. I did an in depth cleaning with Tergitol and my Record Doctor V. I still hear lots of hissing in the background, but could that just be from the master?

I'm just not sure if I should hassle with returning it in the hopes of finding a cleaner copy (none in my local record stores). I think I paid $13 for this one because of the seller"S grading. Thoughts?

15. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Always a risk with this format... Look for a 'playgrade' in the future. I've had flawless looking LP's play noisy and scuffed up ones play silent :laugh:
    Hit the thrifts, I found mine at a garage sale. The AB should have a black background-
    Dropbox - Aja sample.wav

MRT and bluesfan like this.
  16. AnalogJ

I love the idea of "play grade", but how often do you find sellers that do that?

Beachtraveler likes this.
  17. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Not very often I'm afraid. There was one big US seller that would actually provide samples of said lp in a little widget. I thought that was great.
    It seems most of these sellers however state 'These were all found in an attic' or estate sale type of blurb, I tend to shy away from them. 'Personal Collection' usually are pretty good at offering play details if asked.

18. AnalogJ

Even "good" sellers rarely play grade.

AppleCorp3 and Beachtraveler like this.
  19. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

Looks like it could be a Back To Black edition, but not sure. I see a vinyl issue from 2015 on Amazon UK for 9.99! The barcode on that one corresponds to this release from 2008, pressed at Record Industry. Steely Dan - Aja
    Could be they are both the same exact release?

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  20. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Read this thread and went searching thru my garage boxes digging up three copies. I listened to the AB first and what's not to like? It has a P4 ...don't know what that means. Another was AA on cover and label but one of the sides was AA scratch B. The other was AB with the union jack. I didn't have the "want to" to play all three just the first one and it's great, maybe another day I'll compare. Never was a big fan of this record but it's grown on me. That's good because I'm not burned out on it like some have opined.

John Bliss likes this.
  21. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I have tried to get a Cisco but always out bid. I was going to buy one when it was released but forgot.

I have a AA pressing and it is down right lifeless and cold. My Japan CSR cd pressing destroys it. Pretty awful sound for a great record. Never liked it.

Just got a AB pressing. Now this is more how it should sound. I am a bit confused on what pressing it is and where it was pressed. Only writing in deadwax is AB-1006- (RE-3)-A and last letter B for side B. I think there is a slight J stamp on each side.

c-eling likes this.
  22. Beachtraveler

Beachtraveler Active Member

On another note, saw them this weekend in Vegas and they were fantastic! They even brought Larry Carlton out to play on Kid Charlemagne. :D

23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  24. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

I bought that vinyl from Soundstage 2 years ago. Thoroughly cleaned and still have not given it a listen. Your quote will have me give it a listen tonight. A Monday night with the Dan. Nice solid 180--200 gram vinyl. An interesting listen shall I encounter, hearing this 1970's piece of sophisticated sarcastic pop on new audiophile vinyl.
    For no worry I shall never part with all my original AB 1006's. Thanks for the reminder Alexpop.

:D;):edthumbs::kilroy::pineapple::cop::righton::cool::goodie:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  25. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

What's the deal with the Union Jack in the runout? I have one of these.

GentleSenator likes this.