Does anyone use a Chromecast Audio?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Spaceboy, Nov 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member Thread Starter

I just got one and am wondering if you can use an android phone to play music from your PC through the chromecast? I tried but it doesnt let me access files on my PC with my phone for some reason. Will I need to put the music on a NAS drive to be able to access them?

2. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

You need to be running a DLNA server on your network. If your NAS already has one running then either:

1. Copy your music to the NAS, or
    2. Configure the server to point back to your PC for its library.

If you don't already have a server, both MinimServer and Asset UPnP get good recommendations. They can run on either the PC or the NAS. Your Android phone would then act as the control point.

Spaceboy likes this.
  3. TEKWRX

TEKWRX Am I Demon?

Look into the BubbleUPnP app. Works great with Chromecast Audio

4. Spaceboy

Yep, thanks both of you. I have it working now!

5. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Great little device, bargain for the money and sounds good.

6. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Señor Member

+1. I use it with Plex running on the Mac for lossless audio.

pdenny likes this.
  7. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

+2 for Plex. I have the Plex server running on my Linux desktop where all my music resides. I have the Plex app running on my iPhone to control everything.
    I have a few issues with the iPhone app, but other than that it works great.

8. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Best £20 I have EVER spent. Android phone plus Plex (Muzecast supports Chromecast now too and is a far more user-friendly client/server than Plex).

9. Spaceboy

I'm having trouble with BubbleUPnP, I can't get it to just send the pure digital signal to the chromecast, I can adjust the volume on my phone which means it's messing with the digital signal. I have the Chromecast ouputing a digital signal to my Mojo DAC which then feeds my amp, so I want volume control only on the amp.

Also why does it always repeat albums or songs? I can't get it to stop that.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  10. Cjb2233

Cjb2233 Forum Resident

+3 for Plex.

11. Spaceboy

Plex seems complicated to set up. It's not obvious for people like me.

12. gary191265

Plex is not very user friendly at all. Plus it's predominantly aimed at visual media, rather than audio, which adds another level of complexity.

Rolltide likes this.
  13. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

I don't have one but there is a plugin for logitech media server (LMS) plugin that allows you to use chromecast audio with LMS.

14. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

Maybe I'm a nerd, but I didn't find Plex difficult to set up at all.
    I installed the server on my desktop. Used the set up to point it to my music files, and let it scan everything.
    Then I downloaded the app for my iPhone, it found my server & my collection with just a little input from me.
    I had everything going (not counting the time for Plex to scan my media) in about 15 minutes. I could be mis-remembering, but I really don't remember any glitches in the setup.

I'd actually like to try some of the alternatives, but it's looking like I don't have them on iOS, I'd need an Android phone.

15. gary191265

I didn't find it difficult but I can see how others would. Then there are a myriad of options to make sure it's playing stuff at the right bitrates and tagging properly (as it often seems to ignore id tags, even if you've got them nailed right down.

Damien DiAngelo likes this.
  16. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

I bought one 6 months ago and am pleasantly pleased with the results . I use mine with my bathroom system , Insignia receiver[ $15] ,Monitor Audio Radius speakers [$2] IPhone4[free].
    One drawback with using an older phone is that I have a problem getting apps that are up to date .....for instance , the YouTube app needs an updated phone , which means I cannot
    go to vids that you wonderful folks have posted.
    Sound quality is a definite cut above a direct connect to the amplifier with a T connection .
    I would def recommend buying one , given the low price of c. $30.

]

17. MothAudio

MothAudio Active Member

[​IMG]

jfeldt likes this.
  18. MothAudio

MothAudio Active Member

[​IMG]

Anyone try the ethernet adapter? Compare / contrast vs wi-fi.

19. gary191265

What Ethernet adapter?

It's OK, scrap that, I've found it now. I might try one with a homeplug.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  20. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

I recently replaced my home receiver. The new one has a USB input that works with ipods/ipads/iphones and also Bluetooth connectivity. "Great!" I thought. The ipod/USB option worked okay, but I started thinking "why not use my laptop - it is always in the room". I had two options: 1) a wired audio connection from the laptop to the receiver and 2) Bluetooth. I quickly ruled out Bluetooth as the sound quality isn't there.

I recalled seeing praise of the Chromecast Audio device. Their blurb says that it works using wifi, and yields better sound quality than Bluetooth. The box says "cast your favourite music to your speakers" and has a now compatible with Spotify sticker in additional to the logos on the side for Apple and Android. I Googled Windows 10 and there were setup instructions. I dashed to the local BestBuy and bought one.

What all of this doesn't tell you is that it primarily works with streaming services like Spotify - you cannot just cast your local music files from itunes to this thing. It is going back to BestBuy tomorrow.

21. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I use the Bubbleupnp app on my android phone to access all of the music in my collection (15,000 songs) and send it to the Chromecast Audio.
    I know you said you might be using iTunes/Apple, but there should be a way to do it.
    I wouldn't be so quick to rush back and return it. Do a little more research.

22. gary191265

15 minutes to install a client/server on your PC...which is surely less time than it will take you to return it?

Plex, Muzecast or Bubblecast are at least 3 of your options. I've only EVER used my Chromecast to stream music directly from my PC.

23. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

Thanks for the info, but I don't want another piece of software messing about with my collection. It does not meet my needs.

24. Mr Olsen

Mr Olsen Granddanois

I just bought a Chromecast Audio device to use with my main hifi setup, including the external dac in my Marantz SA8005 cd-player: (Android phone - Chromecast Audio - toslink cable - external dac - amp/speakers). This should bypass the Chromecast dac and send a pure digital signal to my hifi, right?

I use my Creek amp to control the volume coming from my speakers but the volume control on my phone adjusts the volume too. How come if the signal cast is unconverted digital? Should I turn up the voulme on my phone to get the best quality signal through to my external dac? Help please :confused:

25. gary191265

The phone is communicating directly with the Chromecast (which has it's own volume control). I leave the Chromecast volume on full, and control the volume from my amp...unless I need to turn it down quickly if I get a call or there's someone at the door. I'm using a Cambridge Audio DAC via toslink.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.