Chicago II Steven Wilson Remix Announced ! 01/27/2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ninecats, Apr 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Must come down to rights, at least we have the 5.1 DVD-A mix.

2. Perhaps this has already been answered in this thread or elsewhere, but why would Steven Wilson work first on Chicago's second album? Are there any plans for him to apply his magic touch to Chicago Transit Authority or subsequent albums? (BTW, I greatly admire his work and purchase much of it; I think he has a fabulous ear for remixing classics that we all know and love.)

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Most albums, including CTA, sound fine. The second album has a problematic stereo mix.

Joti Cover, SteelyNJ, g.z. and 7 others like this.
  4. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

I'll take that bet.

vonwegen, eelkiller and videoman like this.
  5. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Doesn't make any sense. If he was going to do a 5.1 he'd have done it while he was remixing the stereo. What's kind of surprising is that there ISN'T a 5.1 with this release since that's become what Wilson is known for. (My guess --- and just a guess --- is they don't want to create confusion with the Quadio release, or detract from it.)

But if there's not going to be one with this release, I really can't imagine there would be one to follow.

Tristero, alexpop and Steel Woole like this.
  6. videoman

videoman Senior Member

It would be nice to hear somebody take a crack at remixing Live at Carnegie Hall. Wilson, reportedly, doesn't like mixing live recordings. And I don't know how much could be done to make the horns sounds better. Might have been a mic-ing problem. And probably a bigger project than the market demand for it would warrant. But that thing has always been a pile of poo from a sonic perspective.

vegafleet likes this.
  7. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

The Rhino remaster sounds considerably better than the Columbia CD... plus an extra disc of unreleased recordings from that series of concerts... the packaging is in a similar style to the Quadio box... all posters and book done to scale. If you like this album (I do) it is worth checking out.

Gardo, AudiophilePhil and Headfone like this.
  8. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Yes I have that set. Nice package and it DOES sound better than before. But the horns still sound like kazoos.

AudiophilePhil and vegafleet like this.
  9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Guess" Makes sense, though it could be staggered i.e. wait a year for the Quadio to sell. It does feel inevitable and if not by Wilson ...maybe someone else.

10. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I'm not entirely familiar with early Chicago but I have listened to CTA and Chicago II in the past. I am also tempted to pick up this Quadio set though but we'll just have to wait and see whether a SW 5.1 mix will become available in the future. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if he still went ahead a created a surround mix while a stereo remix could yet become what we may be getting treated to in January. I will definitely be picking this up unless, HDTracks releases a Hi-Res download around the same time. :)

11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The Wilson stereo is a no brainer regardless of a eminent / future ..whatever, in regards to a 5.1 mix, as his stereo is so ( for the masses)cheap.

RoyalScam likes this.
  12. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

You hit on a key word here, remix. The difference in this case being that the end result happens to not be in 5.1. With so many opinions out there suggesting that the original mix of Chicago II left a lot to be desired (which Rhino conveys not-so-subtly in their press release), it makes perfect sense that the market can bear a stereo remix of the album.

Also, with Quadio being such a recent release, a 5.1 right now makes little sense. Later, perhaps but the powers that be may very well think that Quadio is the last word when it comes to an enhanced listening experience for the early Chicago albums.

And finally, why 2 before CTA, aside from the fact that 2 needed it? SW is on record in stating he only works on albums he loves. Reading his own words, it sounds as if Chicago 2 resonated with him. What came before or since may or may not rank as high but working on one album in a band's catalogue is no inference that any of the others will be tackled in the same manner.

13. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

I would think this will be available as 24/96 on HDTracks when released. Hoping.

DonnyMe likes this.
  14. THIS! The album could use a lot of help. Personally, I love Carnegie as it was my introduction to '70s Chicago. It would be a holy grail for me if SW took a crack at this.

15. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

According to what I've read the 1972 Live in Japan kills the Carnegie set

bigal00769 likes this.
  16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Eh.

As with The Who at Woodstock, my feeling is the perceived problems have more to do with the band's feelings at the time rather than the end result.

Gardo likes this.
  17. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Yes, but better kazoos... upscale kazoos... :)

18. videoman

videoman Senior Member

The contra-kazoo sounds particularly nice

gregorya likes this.
  19. videoman

videoman Senior Member

The band sounds a bit more trepidatious on Carnegie Hall I think. Like they are more self conscious of being recorded. And the vocals don't sound great in a lot spots. Cetera and Kath both sound to be wandering off the mic a lot.

20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I thought the band themselves have said they prefer Japan to Carnegie, because they were so nervous about playing such a prestigious venue ( remember it wasn't common in 1971 to play this legendary venue ).

Joti Cover likes this.
  21. videoman

videoman Senior Member

They may have. It certainly sounds like it to me.

Myke likes this.
  22. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Great news! That Rhino stereo remaster honestly is a bucket of mud, one of the worst cd's I've ever heard. I guess this press release is a long overdue, side-ways apology for endangering the aural health of Chicago fans. Come to think of it, they owe everyone a refund--we should be able to trade it in for credit toward the new SW mix! Good idea, eh? :D

23. jedidarrick

jedidarrick New Member

So will Wilson remix any of the other Chicago albums or is this just a one-time thing?

jackinbox likes this.
  24. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Just a one time thang.

25. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

Unless he wants to.

jedidarrick likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.