"11/22/63" Hulu mini-series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Mar 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What extras do you get with the blu ray?

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

• When the Future Fights Back: (1080p; 1.78:1; 15:13): Though relatively short, this making-of featurette is remarkably comprehensive, featuring interviews with author Stephen King, screenwriter and executive producer Bridget Carpenter, executive producer J.J. Abrams and numerous members of the cast and crew. Subjects include the changes from page to screen, casting the miniseries, the story's underlying themes and the challenges of accurately re-creating one of the most famous and studied events of the 20th Century. The featurette also incorporates a variety of period news clips.

Vidiot likes this.
  3. alexpop

I like all the S King universe references in small town /diner. Begs repeat viewings,no doubt.

mrstats likes this.
  4. alexpop

Seems the DVD has that, and its short.

5. alexpop

What's the production cost of this show? Must cost a lot to reproduce the period setting.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think it was somewhere around $25 million for 8 hours, which is par for the course for a decent HBO or Showtime kind of show. Hulu, Amazon, and Netflix are spending Big Bucks these days for shows like this.

I caught some very cheap VFX in the show, so it's not as lavish as you might think. The single biggest flaw the show had was there were only about a couple of hundred extras in the Dealey Plaza 1963 assassination scene, and according to all the newsreel footage and photos I've seen, there were thousands of people there. I have no idea why they didn't make a greater effort to do that in the show.

They also left off the "Hertz Rent-a-Car" sign on top of the Texas Book Depository, but I assume that was because they couldn't get legal clearance for it for the show. But it was there that fateful day.

goodiesguy, Lewisboogie and alexpop like this.
  7. alexpop

A example, the drug store scene ( second episode) the kid checking out the comics stand which had only DC comics, no Marvels ( being 1960), pretty good period detail.

Vidiot and EVOLVIST like this.
  8. I thought it was well made and entertaining. The story was streamlined a bit compared to the novel.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

True, they did some stuff very well. The soda fountain scenes were pretty good. The cars were right, but my frequent complaint about historical pieces is that the cars are all in perfect condition, and they should be a little beat up and dusty, not pristine. That's been a movie problem going back 40-50 years; all the old cars in the Godfather movies are too perfect (as one example).

10. alexpop

Yeah..was too late to fix my post, but the mag rack could have had some Harvey Comics as well ( big D.C. plug).
    Good observation about the cars ..guess everything looked too squeaky clean.
    Wouldn't mind a spin off series similar again on a sixties theme...sorta Route 66 meets The Fugitive.
    Guess better watch Madmen(again).

11. Thisis where a little extra CGI would come in handy since I doubt that the owners of those classic cars (including any studio they rented them from) would want them beat up.

12. alexpop

Actually one of the cars Franco & co drive around in while staying next door to LHO is a beat up rusty blue car.

13. alexpop

Just wished they extended the series a bit longer. Loved the period setting.

14. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Just finished reading the book last night, and loved it.... so I'm definitely interested in checking out the mini-series.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  15. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I loved the book, but was underwhelmed by the miniseries. It wasn't bad, but I think it was a missed opportunity.

16. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Yeah, the miniseries certainly wasn't bad, but what was supposed to be "the climax" -- the shooting -- wasn't paced well, and it didn't quite work. On the other hand, the "last dance" scene with Jake and an 80-year-old Sadie at the tribute dinner packed an unexpected emotional wallop.

17. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Exactly. I have numerous complaints about the movie - enough to make me skip over the last two or three episodes to get to the denouement - but the cars were a joke. Anyone who lived through that time, or at least saw the cars from that period first hand, knows those paint jobs went south pretty fast.

Vidiot likes this.
  18. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

This is a very good point, considering I had a neighbor 40 years ago, that rented out several classic automobiles for films, and such. Of course the last thing he'd want, is for one of his cars to be damaged, or even scratched.

19. misterjones

Missed opportunity sums it up. I would have liked to have seen the main character go back and forth between the past and present more before he finally got to 11.22.63. We have just one example of how the world might be changed (though I thought that one instance was weak).

Also, what happened to the diner's owner when he returned the second time? It was supposed to take only moments to leave and return (regardless of how long the time traveler was or thought he was gone).

20. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I agree with previous posts about disliking the Bill character being expanded to give Jake a "sidekick".... I would've rather had a monologue/voice-over than that kid's annoying performance.

Silken and vegafleet like this.
  21. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

I've always noticed that problem with period films/shows. The cars all look like they all came from a museum. What, did everyone in the city JUST buy their cars yesterday?? Same with the wardrobe--always perfect, crisp shirts and dresses. Nothing at all showing normal wear and tear. Regarding the classic cars, I wonder if it has anything to do with the owners of the cars preferring not to tamper with the car by dirty-ing it up? They do after all work so hard to get them to be as perfect as possible.

22. I'd think there must be some junkers out there that could be bought, fixed up, and appropriately roughed up for shooting. But perhaps it isn't usually worth the hassle of finding and fixing them, or of making specially-designed car bodies for roughing up.

23. misterjones

I suppose a bigger budget production could "de-colorize" them using computers.

Also, the old cars often seem a bit too snazzy for the person driving it.

24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Or just replace them completely with CGI (which would be quite easy).

25. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

The mini-series left out a lot of details about the "post-apocalyptic" future... so much so, that it didn't even really seem anywhere near as horrible a future as the book made it out to be. Aside from a couple shots of damaged/destroyed buildings, and one character very briefly mentioning "bombs dropping", it could have easily just been an "incredibly run-down" future, as opposed to one that was decimated by nuclear war. Out of all the sections of the book to water down and leave out important details, this shouldn't have been one of them.

Overall, I thought the mini-series was decent enough, but as with most SK adaptations, the book is a million times more rewarding. It reminded me a lot of the 1994 version of The Stand, in that both adaptations are perfect examples of why even a 6 or 7-hour mini-series is simply not long enough to cover all the important parts of an 1,100-page SK novel.

Vidiot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.