Ridiculous static/dust problem

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bajaed, Dec 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident Thread Starter

For the last month or so my stylus has been picking up crazy amounts of lint off records. I don't have an rcm yet but the problem has never been close to this on the past.

Before playing a record, I use a discwasher brush with fluid then spray the record with Phan Stat and wipe dry with a microfiber cloth while it's spinning. Now I'm getting a ball of gunk on the stylus that needs to be dipped into my Onzow Zero Dust after every side. Tonight, I was playing an SHM version of Donald Fagan's Nightfly and had to clean the stylus halfway through the first side when I started hearing distortion.

I've also noticed it's been harder to get debris off with the Zero Dust and even after using a stylus brush there always seems to be a tiny thread that won't come off no matter what I do.

Nothing has changed in my system or room from the past that should be causing this. The only changes are I added an Oppo 93 that now sits on top of my Jolida phono amp where nothing was before and I changed my AVR (which is not in the phono chain) to a newer HDMI model.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  2. samid

samid Forum Resident

Winter? Colder/dryer air, more static. If your thermostat shows the humidity check it, could be too dry.

Muzyck and jupiterboy like this.
  3. bdfin

bdfin Forum Resident

I'm no expert and I am not sure what Phan Stat is....I'm guessing by the name it is anti static fluid of some type. Do the instructions say to actually spray it onto the record instead of maybe spraying it on the cloth and then wiping. It sounds like you obviously have some residue of something and if you're spraying the Stat on the record and wiping it there has to be a certain amount of it staying on the vinyl which may be gumming up your stylus. I have taken to using some cheap items from Home depot for record cleaning and it working fairly well. They consist of 2 of those 4" wide painter pads with the furry pad on the bottom. I use filtered water a couple drops of dawn soap and a capful of alcohol in a squeeze bottle to wash the record, then just use some plain filtered water to rinse I use a small shop vac 20.00 bucks from Walmart and vacuum each solution off between the wash and rinse step, wipe with micro fiber, flip over into another micro fiber cloth and repeat. Air dry for a couple minutes and ready to play or put in a new sleeve. There's nothing left on the record. Just used this method today as I am going thru a bunch of my old reclaimed vinyl and it all needs to be cleaned. If you have newer vinyl I would think something like this or similar for cheap would work for you....but you've got some build up of something it sounds like. Many threads on cleaning, store bought or home made cheap cleaning solutions. You do not need a fancy machine to get cleaner records......not saying I wouldn't take one, just not into spending a lot of money on the process.
    Do you have constant high humidity and or mold issues anything like that ?

4. bajaed

I have been using the same process for a couple years and the build up has never been like this. Even a couple months ago when it was hot and the AC was on, still had tumbleweeds building up on the stylus.

5. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

Do you have a jeweler's loupe to look closely at your stylus? You seem to suspect something is left on it after you clean it.

Some exotic goo might explain the accumulation on the stylus, but not the overall increase in dust. Good luck.

6. Fill Your Head

Fill Your Head Forum Resident

Is it possible that some records have more static problems than others?

I have the Beatles Mono box and every time I take out an LP all the dust in the neighborhood flies through the air and settles on the disc.Breadcrumbs,dandruff,dog hairs..

I'm convinced the records go on attracting dust even when back in their sleeves and in the box.

I live in a dry area.Would a humidifier help?

7. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

You're probably creating static electricity. Try a Zero-Stat and a Mapleshade anti-static brush instead of fiber brushes and liquid cleaning.

8. bajaed

I figured I would need to get a Zero Stat.

The Zero Dust cover has a magnifier built into the lid so I'm able to see what's on the stylus.

9. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

Do you have an air cleaner? If not, now's a good time to look for one with twice the recommended capacity and an ionic filter. Definitely check humidity (use a hydrometer - 45-55% is ideal) and get a humidifier if needed. Are your floors carpeted? If so, you may want to get a grounded anti-static mat like the ones used by electronic manufacturers. Place it in front of the TT and stand on it while handling your records. How about what you're wearing - shoes, slippers, socks and sweaters, especially fleece and wool can create quite a bit of static, not to mention excess dust and lint.

Finally, change the air filter in your furnace if you haven't already and this is a long shot but where is the clothes dryer located and when was the last time you cleaned out and checked the connections of the exhaust pipe? Minor stuff but it doesn't take much to bring about the static and dust problems you're describing and its only gonna get worse with winter here.

10. bajaed

All good stuff there JBryan. I'll look for an anti-static mat.

What has me perplexed is that nothing has changed other than the 2 new pieces of equipment listed above but the problem is much worse. I change the air filter regularly, not near dryer, no cats and dog doesn't shed. It's been worse with ac and heat.

I may order a new zero dust. It's about 3 years old and maybe it's losing some stickiness but there is also more to remove from stylus.

11. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Wash your records in deep ONCE and forget about it. That's what I did and my styli havn't collected a single spec of dust since 1995.

showtaper likes this.
  12. AudioLoup

AudioLoup Forum Resident

Referring to a post I have already re-posted here and there:

13. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

I can't believe the amount of stuff people do to their records in the name of cleaning......

14. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Last time that happened to me ( it's a drag) is when I used my cleaner without vacuum. Went back to the one time "cleaner" vacuum, then distilled water felt brush maintenance cleaning only after. Problem gone.

15. 2 things: Have you moved your system recently? Perhaps near an air exchange vent? if so, dust particles are moving towards your return vent on their way to your furnace filter. Does your system contain a TV? I used to have a similar problem in one of my systems (in the living room.) I think the TV was attracting the dust particles to everything near it and the other systems in my house were not having this problem. I relocated the records and the problem is no longer a problem. My fix was to relocate my records. And watch less TV.

16. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I had a perpetual static problem immediately upon getting an Xpression III w/ 2M Blue. The ONLY way I got rid of it was to hit each side of the vinyl with the ZeroStat while I held it by my hand before placing it on the platter. When flipping, I don't use the ZeroStat. As soon as I started doing this regimen when listening, static issues are gone.

But if I incorporate a carbon brush, static issues may arise on occasion.

17. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Get yourself one of the "In the Groove" roller cleaners. I've been using it for nearly two years before play. It picks up all the surface dust and lint, etc., and does not leave any residue. It's also great for cleaning rubber and sorthobane record mats. You do not need to press hard for the device to work. When it's dirty just wash it with some mild dosp and let it dry, the surface tackiness will return.

Amazon.com: In The Groove Record Cleaner: Electronics ยป

Use of this will add some static though. To quickly rid yoursekf of that, use a Milty Zerostat ($90), or do it FREE with a USED Bounce fabric softener cloth. Just use a cloth in the dryer with your clothes. It comes out fairly soft, and free of the active chemical voating, but still has a strong anti-static property. I've been using them this way fir several years, just don't ever use one straight out if the box!

18. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

buy a RCM answer to 99.9% of vinyl problems spin clean/knosti or ideally a vacuum Rcm

bajaed likes this.
  19. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

When I got my MMF 5.3 TT, I just knew I was going to regret getting the model in gloss black. I also found though that dust was being attracted like a magnet to not only the TT but I could watch particles jump onto the disc just by holding it in my hand. And the static was also causing lots of noise during play.

I've seen those Zero-Stat guns for several years but the cost of them seemed too high to find out if they work or not. I emailed a company that produces anti-static devices for various types of manufacturing processes and even he recommended a Zero-Stat gun. Maybe he's also an audiophile?

I broke down and bought one and it was a night and day revelation. Even the dust lifts off of the TT with the Mapleshade brush. I zap that too. Maybe I should zap my cat?

I place the LP on the TT, turn on the motor and as it spins I zap the record about 5 times while using the Mapleshade brush. I never have or hear static anymore. Really.

I have an LED light clamped to my stand so the records really can show debris. Before I got the gun, it was horrifying what was on them and wouldn't release. It just made matters worse using a carbon brush on them. Even washing didn't illuminate the static.

I highly recommend the Zero-Stat and Mapleshade anti-static brush.

That'll be 10 bucks please. :righton:

bajaed likes this.
  20. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

I have occasional dust buildup but the absolute worst is the peter Gabriel 45rpm reissues. I can't play a side of any of them without having to stop half way through to clean the needle. Why those alone I have no idea.

21. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yes and no. It depends on how bad the problem is. I have humidifiers all over the place and it doesn't solve the problem 100% for me. Makes it better, but it doesn't go away completely.

I'd get one though and test it out. Just keep in mind the size of your place and what the humidifier can handle.

If you have a zero stat gun you can always give the lp a shot while it's still in it's sleeve (i.e. before you pull it out).

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

1) try a new kind of microfiber cloth, or a new one period, maybe it's shedding.
    2) your stylus is shot and has a sharp edge that is gouging out old dirt, that's my guess.

The Pinhead and bajaed like this.
  23. muskrat

muskrat Well-Known Member

You washed the cloth! I did the same thing. Washing breaks down the fibers into micro lint. Wash record and throw that cloth away. I've hand rinsed them with no problem, maybe it's the dryer.

24. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

my best answer too, always a sign the stylus is going or gone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.