YES "Fly From Here" with re-recorded vocals in 2017?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Musician95616, Dec 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just came across this bit regarding Trevor Horn re-recording all the lead vocals on "Fly From Here". Interesting.....

At his 8 Oct 2016 solo show, Howe made reference to a forthcoming project involving Fly from Here, although he didn't give details. Jon Kirkman in a Dec 2016 edition of the Yes Music Podcast then reported on his May 2016 interview with Horn, saying: "the last recording that he worked on with them was Fly from Here [...] Trevor has re-recorded all the lead vocals for that album and I asked him if it's coming out and he said yeah, probably next year [2017], so that... that would then make Fly from Here the second album from the Drama line-up." Kirkman described how Horn played him the album and the interview continued:
    Kevin Mulryne: Was that [re-recording the vocals] his idea?

Kirkman: I don't know [...] he'd done it, he said, 'Well, I've re-recorded all the vocals for Fly from Here. [...] BenoƮt [David] is still on it [...] [but] I just thought, as a project, it would be nice to do.'

2. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

How useless. Why? Who needed or wanted this?

3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

How odd. Can't imagine many are going to buy it that did not already do so, though I suppose a few may pick up a second copy (I won't). Wonder if there is bad blood between Yes and Benoit David.

Dr. Mudd likes this.
  4. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Wonder if this means they'll boot Jon Davison and tour with Horn?

5. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

So a bad album rerecorded by possibly the worst Yes frontman ever? Yeah, no thanks.

6. zen

zen Senior Member

Fly From Here a bad album? No.

Knowing Horn.....big F'n no.

7. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

Are you referring to Trevor Horn or Benoit David ?

JediJoker and bagofsoup like this.
  8. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

Not bad, but not great.

9. It seems like a pointless endeaver. The vocals are just fine as-is.

10. Jef Skindzier

Jef Skindzier Forum Resident

Could be interesting as a deluxe version, maybe with 5.1.

micksmuse likes this.
  11. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

Trevor Horn. Never liked him. Great producer though. Benoit David isn't much better as a singer though.

12. zen

zen Senior Member

My guess....the album would carry more weight if Trevor Horn was the lead vocalist rather than Benoit David.
    Even though Benoit David already sounds like (a great sounding) Trevor Horn. I say, LEAVE IT!!!

13. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

The 'suite' is pretty good and catchy. The remaining tracks are a bit 'meh' IMO.

14. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

I admit, I'll buy it, though, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the vocals. It's just kind of a boring album.

And, hey, Benoit David did just fine and, while Trevor had some problems on the Anderson stuff, his job on Drama was perfect.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  15. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

Thanks for clearing.
    Trevor Horn was fitting in well with Drama, not the classic material.
    I liked Benoit David. He did quite a good job considering how he was burned by the group and then dropped.

16. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

If they got Jon Anderson to re-record the vocals I might buy it again, especially if they also got him to rewrite the lyrics and melodies.

17. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Awesome. Trevor Horn is the only vocalist that makes Yes listenable for me. Loved Drama, enjoyed Fly From Here, loathe everything else. Will enjoy this if it comes out.

Not being a troll, just expressing an opinion BTW.

18. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

How odd. I have to say, though, that this thread has made me want to hear the album, given that I've always liked Drama (and The Age of Plastic).

JediJoker, John Bliss and SuntoryTime like this.
  19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

why in the name of the heavens doesn't trevor horn get the producers back together? the hell with re-recording a mediocre yes album, call lol creme and just do it, the producers 'made in basing street" was my personal album of the year for 2012.

JulesRules and PJayBe like this.
  20. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Color me baffled on this one. I actually liked Fly From Here a lot more than I was expecting and consider it to be one of their strongest latter day efforts. Trevor Horn was the secret ingredient that really made the project work, both in terms of the production and the writing but while I don't mind his voice, I don't see much point in him replacing the vocals here. Benoit David did a fine job, IMO.

John Bliss, sound chaser, ARK and 7 others like this.
  21. Saganomics

Saganomics Billions (and billions)

What did Benoit David do wrong, other than lose his voice on tour? That's cause for re-recording all his vocals? Man, I hope Jon Davison doesn't become ill. They might not even slow the car down when they throw him out.

22. As I said recently in the ARW thread, I'm looking forward to both this and the new Buggles album that's supposedly coming out next year as well... Now all we need is for Trevor Horn to release something with either The Producers or The Art Of Noise to make it a 2017 hat trick!

John Bliss and jupiter8 like this.
  23. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

would've made more sense to just do this right out of the gate. Have Trevor record the album and David tour with the band. Probably would have generated more interested at the time. But the time has passed.

24. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Interesting, I have to imagine that it will sound mostly the same... Not sure why they'd do this, but at the same time, I don't mind that they do. I actually like Fly From Here a lot as an album.

25. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

If you Drama lovers haven't picked up Kevin Gray's LP master (this year, I think), you are really doing yourself a disservice. He really kicked ass on it (Fragile too).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.