Buffalo Springfield debut released 50 years ago today

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JoeRockhead, Dec 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident Thread Starter

Buffalo Springfield s/t debut released Dec. 5, 1966 - 50 years ago today!

Thoughts on this landmark LP? I know it wasn't a big hit at the time of its release but just thinking of the careers that were launched with this release is pretty impressive.

[​IMG]

alexpop, keyXVII, Man at C&A and 7 others like this.
  2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Badly produced but still a superb album. My favourite Buffalo Springfield LP and one of my favourites by anyone. I have an original mono UK pressing that lists For What It's Worth on the sleeve & label but plays Baby Don't Scold Me.

Favourite tracks:
    Flying On The Ground Is Wrong
    Pay The Price
    Do I Have To Come Right Out and Say It?

but I love them all.

fr in sc and sixelsix like this.
  3. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

4. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Terribly produced and engineered and mastered, some good songs but not really a whole lot, Neil's acoustic solo version of Flying on the Ground is much better

5. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Thanks for the heads-up on the anniversary. I may have to spin some BS later. (That reads differently from how I'd imagined it...)

Some great stuff on the first album, but my favorites ("Bluebird," "Rock and Roll Woman") are on "...Again." I don't know if we'll see any new archival material from the band, but I'm glad for what we've got.

One of my big musical "what-ifs" is: what if Stills had kept a lid on his ego and Young had resisted the urge to quit the band repeatedly on the cusp of career milestones like the Tonight Show and Monterey Pop? I was hoping to see at least the rump version of the band on tour a few years back, but they imploded (again) before they came anywhere near me. Meanwhile, in a parallel universe, people are posting on this forum about how Buffalo Springfield needs to call it a day, and they should have quit back in '68 and taken up Crosby's offer - but then the world would have been deprived of a couple of stellar albums by Crosby, Cass, and Nash.

6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I don't know, I do love the Neil live acoustic version though. I know some of the songs on the Buffalo Springfield LP are not masterpieces but I really enjoy them and it's the only Buffalo Springfield LP where they sound like a band.

7. varispeed

varispeed what if?

And then I first saw them play for the first time three months later. Fifty years..... no way. Isn't it Dec 5 1967 right now? That's only a year.

8. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Are you trying to make me feel old?

A great album by a great band, that launched some of the most celebrated musicians of the 1970's. It is often said of such creative collaborations that "the whole is greater than the some of its parts" but with Buffalo Springfield the reverse seems true. Individually the members attained even greater musical and financial success than they did as a band.

forthlin and Man at C&A like this.
  9. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

IMO, I couldn't fathom any more archival material than the generous amount they gave in the Buffalo Springfield box set...which does, sadly, lack the mono mix of BSA.

10. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

What a band ''Mr.Soul, Bluebird, Kind Woman, Broken Arrow, I Am A Child'' to name just a few favorites. I still prefer to listen to any BS over anything the individual members went on to do, with the exception of the COUCH album.

fr in sc and Man at C&A like this.
  11. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Well, there's the long version of "Bluebird." And the Monterey concert. I'd also like the stereo mix of "Baby Don't Scold Me."

12. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Its a solid, timeless album, like grilled steak is to food. About as tasty too. Always a good seller. I greatly prefer the mono mix. I also prefer the original track listing over the 2nd one. It just flows better.

13. drasil

drasil Former Resident

this is a great lyric, Stills' tongue firmly in cheek:

I don't tell no tales about no hot dusty roads
    I'm a city boy, and I stay at home
    I make no excuses, I just don't want to roam,
    and I don't like being alone

the whole album is brilliant. I'm not sure why some folks upthread dislike the production. it just sounds like 1966 to me, and I love it. same with the original version of 'flying on the ground' with Furay singing lead. I know the classic rock listener tendency is to gravitate towards again in the band's catalogue--my dad feels the same way--but I've probably listened to the debut (and definitely to last time around) more often.

I think I like literally every note the springfield committed to tape, but the two songs above, 'out of my mind,' 'Clancy,' and 'do I have to come right out and say it' are high up on that list, and they're all right here.

I'm going to break the mono version out tonight. it's been a couple years.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I only know Sit Down, I Think I Love You from the debut, but it's a great one.

15. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

There's STILL something happenin' here
    What it is ain't exactly clear...
    :shrug:

fr in sc, CybrKhatru and JoeRockhead like this.
  16. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I cherish both of my mono copies, one of each tracklisting.

17. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Probably one of the top 10 LPs from '66, which is impressive.

18. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I have both the mono and stereo versions. One of my all time favorites of my collection. I don't know why folks give it a bad rap for it's production and engineering. It always sounded good to me. It's a 50 year old record created back in the day when they considered rock and roll fast food music. Who knew it would become the rock classic that it is today.

drasil likes this.
  19. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

We'll all eat a bison burger in Buffalo Springfield's honor. :) Yes, I agree it's a solid album and it has early forays into country rock that almost no one else was doing at the time.

20. WayOutWardell

WayOutWardell Forum Resident

Interesting, too that 'For What It's Worth' was recorded 50 years ago today!

21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I do like the sound of it a lot. When I said it was badly produced I was thinking more of the stereo mix. The mono is fine. Compared to records by The Byrds, Dylan, Beach Boys and Beatles released the same year the production does sound thin and flawed, but I like it. It makes it an unusual sounding record and that usually appeals to me. I forgot to put Out of My Mind in my favourites. Great track.

One thing about the Buffalo Springfield debut, as wonderful as the record is, the cover is abysmal!

22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The original track listing is great, but I don't think Go and Say Goodbye sounds right as an opener. I don't understand why they had to delete a good track, rather than just add For What It's Worth as the opener and leave the rest as it was. It's a short LP anyway.

Bernard hansen likes this.
  23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've just thought of something. I hope my UK mono isn't a fold down mix. Does anybody here know?

24. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

You never heard "For What It's Worth"??? It's a classic single!

I think the band needed some serious direction on this album because they sure sound lost.

alexpop likes this.
  25. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Sure, but it wasn't added until the reissue. It's not on the original album. Great song, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.