Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

No more WW2 movies good god.. a tired subject..

2. Mirrorblade.1

Shouldn't the new Planet of the apes movie be guys in suits..?
    I mean come on..how much more CGi apes will the do.
    Or Andy hop around like animal.. :rolleyes:

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - $481 million.
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - $710 million.
    War for the Planet of the Apes - not opened yet.

I'd be very surprised if the new film makes less than $500M. As long as the films have a mass audience, they'll keep making them.

4. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

As a large format geek I will definitely see Dunkirk theatrically but precious little else from that list. However, as comic book adaptations don't do it for me I doubt I am the target audience. With that said, surely most of these franchises have run their course by now.

5. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I have mixed feelings about the "Apes" reboot series; as a big fan of the original (mostly the first, but with a soft spot for the whole original series of films), I've been surprised the reboot film series has been better than I would have thought (the Burton remake obviously set the bar pretty low of course).

But while a straight remake of the original '68 film isn't particularly a good idea, something of that ilk would be nice for the new film series. Meaning, something that brings in that future-setting shock value of Heston discovering the apes and whatnot. While it's debatable how much the reboot series is following the "timeline" of the original, "Dawn" and "Rise" have very roughly covered the material from the *fourth* and *fifth* films in the original series, "Conquest..." and "Battle for....".

There were actually hints/rumors at one point that the third film in the reboot series would continue this trend (essentially doing the five films in the original series in a different order, 4-5-1-2-3), and would be called simply "Planet of the Apes." While that would probably be confusing from a marketing standpoint and would result in people thinking the whole thing was being rebooted *again*, I liked the idea of the third reboot film coming back around to that timeframe in the story.

However, it looks like perhaps "War..." will be filling in the gaps between the 5th and 1st film in the original series, and that could be an interesting story too. But visually and storytelling-wise, I'm not super enamored with a film set entirely in a forest and with most of the cast being CGI talking apes. The CGI in the last Apes film was as good as it gets, no question.

6. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Yeah! Moar Star Wars!

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  7. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

[​IMG]

8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

This will be huge regardless of reviews.

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Internationally? Sure. US? Not so sure.

The last one didn't bomb in the US, of course, but it performed the worst of the 4 with $245m. The 3rd place "Transformers" is the original, with $319m - that's a pretty steep drop, and way off the biggest hit of the bunch, which passed $400m.

However, "Age of Extinction" did HUGE business internationally - more than $1 billion total!

It'll be interesting to see if the franchise continues to slide in the US while it maintains or grows overseas...

Deuce66 and Vidiot like this.
  10. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Please see the same audience that thought Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and American Idol were so great once per week, they could watch several episodes of it (sometimes two hour versions) multiple time per week. I know that's TV vs. Movies, but same paradigm.

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

What's really troubling is that Paramount has reportedly created a "writers room" solely to develop Transformers as a franchise: doing at least one film a year in addition to whatever Michael Bay does. So there's going to be "side stories" similar to Star Wars: Rogue One, featuring other characters and other toys/robots as an ongoing story. At some point, when does the audience say, "I've had enough of this ****?"

budwhite and Cousin It like this.
  12. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Well I know I've said it :agree:

Pete Puma and Stormrider77 like this.
  13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Agreed. I wouldn't pay to see most of those. If I had to pick one, Star Wars. Guardian of the Galaxy 2 should make a gazillion, though.

Can someone make in 1968 again and take the train set away from the children?

My prediction is that within two years, not one American made movie with win an Academy Award because of our obsession with comic books and superheroes. The 2020 Oscars is going to look like the BAFTAs.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

From your grammar, you must be a screenwriter! :D :D

15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Another year and another reason I go with non american made films. Hollywood should be renamed CandyStore. I get a cavity in my brain just looking at some of those titles.

Carl Swanson and Gumboo like this.
  16. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

While I love mindless entertainment as much as the next person, I still long for a movie like "On Golden Pond" or "Fried Green Tomatoes", a great spaghetti western like "The Outlaw Josey Wales" (Clint's son should reprise the role, hell he looks just like Clint).

I miss great storytelling in movies.

The Hermit likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

I guess we'll see!

I hadn't heard about "Transformers" spinoffs. I think those will be a harder sell than "Star Wars" spinoffs because Transformers has a much less "rich" universe - at least to the general population. Maybe there's a lot of intricacy to the Transformers universe but most people will just know the basics, so I think it's harder to generate interest in spinoffs...

Vidiot likes this.
  18. Oatsdad

That makes one of us! While I love great storytelling too, I think both those movies are pretty awful - sentimental, contrived and mawkish... :hide:

russk likes this.
  19. Claus

Claus Senior Member

ditto.... don't like this Mainstream stuff.

20. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I will definitely see the new Kingsman; the original was enormously entertaining and a refreshing take on a tired genre. Will probably give Pirates a chance, and let my kids drag me to Star Wars and Beauty and the Beast. The trailer for Nolan's Dunkirk is interesting, so I may spring for that as well. As far as I'm concerned, Vidiot's phrase "more CG monkeys" pretty much applies to all the rest of that list. :D

21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Well, the average world wide gross of the four released so far is $943.46 million!!! there's plenty of room for this franchise to slide before they stop making these movies, I don't see that happening for a long while.

22. Oatsdad

Probably not. I was surprised to see how big the 4th one was overseas - it was seen as a disappointment here, but I guess them foreigners love them some fightin' robots! :D

Deuce66 likes this.
  23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

It's the week for 2017 trailers - here come the apes.

24. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Here comes Spidey - AGAIN.....

Vidiot and Stormrider77 like this.
  25. Mirrorblade.1

Predator vs Planet of The Apes..:D

teodoro likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.