Alice In Chains

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wasatch, Dec 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Yes.
    You don't want yours. Send it to me.

2. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I'd be happy with a UK/Euro.
    Just don't want a Brazilian press.
    Also, I do t want to pay that money.

3. éder

éder Forum Resident

Sorry, i want it ! But if i ever see a copy anywhere i will let you know mate..

4. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

As a vinyl lover I would implore you, stay away from the blue BoB version. It is a hideous mess. As one vinyl lover to another, learn from my mistake :laugh:

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  5. éder

éder Forum Resident

Cantrell is a genius but I always thought Staley gave AIC their distinctive sound.. when i saw them live, Staley's voice was so powerful and emotional it made your hair stand up !!

6. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

I totally agree. There is no way to replace Layne.

7. DrewHarris

DrewHarris Forum Resident

AIC is my favorite grunge band and one of my favorite bands of all time. I did go through the albums one-by-one when I first herd about them. I, among many people, was shocked to find out the fate of Layne Staley. However, I still found enjoyment in the album with William DuVall. To me, he fits the band's dark and sludgy sound greatly, even though part of me still thinks about what Layne would've done if he hadn't succumbed to his demons. I think the main factor of me liking both versions is that I did get into them just around the time they brought in William. I didn't have very high expectations at first so the first listening experience of both versions was a joy and I think I wouldn't have a good time if they were really hyped up for me. I know there are Layne purists out there but, to me, this is an instance where the band still has gas in the tank with a new singer.

8. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

AIC is also my favorite grunge era band. I liked a few songs off the "Black Gives Way to Blue" but overall, I thought it was a huge step down from their previous work. I like The Devil Put Dinosaurs here better but it's still a far cry from their heyday. I think the current incarnation is viable but they'll never reach the level they were at with Layne. Dirt, Facelift and Jar of Flies are among my favorite albums by any group.

Bernard hansen and éder like this.
  9. éder

éder Forum Resident

My thoughts exactly... even though they are still a great band and i'm glad that other people enjoy the new AIC - for me it's not Alice in Chains anymore..

Vinyl Addict and TexasBuck like this.
  10. éder

éder Forum Resident

Just picked up the alice in chains ' under the knife - LA broadcast 1990 ' cd ... its a brilliant performance from the facelift era with Staley at his best .. has anybody here heard it..

11. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

Maybe I like the softer side of AIC..but how can you be an AIC can and not love Black Gives Way To Blue (the actual song)? I liked it so much I spent an extra $10 to get the iTunes only piano version. One of their best, and about Layne to boot.

Clanceman and Vinyl Addict like this.
  12. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

The previous thread on the album seems to be locked to I guess here is as good a place to post this....

Jerry's second album Degradation Trip is being issued for the first time on vinyl next month from Music on Vinyl - JERRY CANTRELL - DEGRADATION TRIP - Catalog - Music On Vinyl »

Haven't found any pre-orders for it just yet.

Clanceman likes this.
  13. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Thanks for the post. Please update when you find the preorder option. Very interested!

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  14. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover! Thread Starter

Yeah, let us know.

15. éder

éder Forum Resident

I was never a big fan of degradation trip.. some good songs on there no doubt..
    But I much prefer boggy depot...

richbdd01 likes this.
  16. FourWalledWorld

I prefer Boggy Depot too but am willing to give this another shot. Perhaps listening to it in the "condensed" version as opposed to the Vol. 1 and 2 (which is the one I have on CD) might make me appreciate it more.

éder likes this.
  17. éder

éder Forum Resident

No 'Solitude' on the new release of degradation trip ? ..
    and 'anger rising' is on there twice according to the link you posted ! (Lol)
    I'm guessing they misprinted it in place of 'angel eyes'

18. FourWalledWorld

It should be there. They made a mistake on the site by repeating the tracks for 'Side A' for 'Side B'.

Karsten and éder like this.
  19. Wasatch

I like the Vol. 1 and 2 version.

20. Wasatch

There is a release date on that page. 20 Jan 17. This is definitely the condensed version. Most likely will not get it.

21. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

22. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Apparently ive read the new MOV copy of Degradation trip doesnt sound all that great....

23. RMD

RMD Forum Resident

So do I. It is the version Jerry originally wanted to release but the label said no at the time. Apparently Jerry made a deal to put out the abridged version with the stipulation at some point they would release the full version, which obviously did happen. In my opinion it is the only way to listen to it, as originally intended.

Matthew Tate and Wasatch like this.
  24. Wasatch

Exactly!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Wasatch

MOV usually does a good job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.