YES "Fly From Here" with re-recorded vocals in 2017?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Musician95616, Dec 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

AMEN

SirMarc and Dr. Mudd like this.
  2. JamesLord

JamesLord Forum Resident

This. Jill's condition meant that Trevor couldn't be away on tour, so it made sense to have Benoit sing the album as he was going to do the tour.
    Personally I would love a deluxe version with Trevor singing the studio version and then a live recording of the Suite from the tour with Benoit plus a live Drama plus rarities :)

3. JamesLord

JamesLord Forum Resident

Possibly, but You Tube's search function as apparently not, as I can't find it. Do you have a link?

4. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

It seems to have been taken down as I can't find it either. Shame as it was better quality than a demo!

5. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

I would be a lot more interested in a deluxe edition Drama with a second disc that included the Fly From Here suite and maybe one or two other tracks with re-recorded vocals.

6. gsmile

gsmile Forum Resident

Not sure if anyone has linked this video in this thread yet, but let's not forget that Trevor made a surprise appearance with Yes live at the Royal Albert Hall a couple of months ago. You can tell that he's really relishing revisiting his time with the band, especially now that die hard fans are more accepting of his tenure. "Drama" is routinely named as an all-time favorite by fans now. I've heard tapes of the Drama Tour and to my ears he sounds better on this clip than he did live back then! Jumping up on stage with the band obviously put him in a Yes frame of mind and probably led to him tinkering with "Fly From Here".

Personally, I would love to hear "Fly From Here" re-recorded with Trevor's lead vocals. I'm a big fan of the album as is, and I think that Benoit David did quite an admirable job considering the odds were stacked against him. My main issue was that the album was so clearly a "Drama" sequel that I found myself wishing that Trevor had just cut the lead vocals. However, I understand the decision to cut the record with their new touring vocalist at the time, as they had to work overtime to establish the band as a creative entity after the departure of Jon Anderson. I'd be shocked if this actually got a release considering the album is but a drop in the bucket of their discography, but stranger remix projects have come out (looking at you "Double Fantasy Stripped"!) so who knows? If the powers that be are reading this, I would buy a "Fly From Here" deluxe in a heartbeat! Collect some live versions from the Drama Tour, collect the Buggles demos of the Fly From Here material, and we're all set!

davers, jupiter8, johnny q and 5 others like this.
  7. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

I listened to my Fly From Here on vinyl again this morning. (It came in a box with poster and T shirt. Really, what's the point?)

I had forgotten how grating the screech of Howe's fingers on the acoustic guitar strings is. Goes right through me! :yikes: If they do re-record it, I hope they fix that!

Pennywise and sound chaser like this.
  8. GLYNSTYLER

GLYNSTYLER Forum Resident

I don't think the poor guy is in a position to be pissed - only hurt. I think "Fly From Here" is an OK album, but Benoit David's vocals were the least of its' shortcomings.

Shak Cohen, Dr. Mudd and uzn007 like this.
  9. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

Agreed completely

Dr. Mudd likes this.
  10. There seems to be a little confusion as to what exactly we're getting... Are the vocals being newly recorded by Trevor, or are they simply using his scratch takes left over from the original sessions? I suspect the truth will fall somewhere between the two possibilities, with some parts having to be remade due to the initial leads never being intended for wider public consumption. The one thing I do hope for is even a short tour where Trevor reunites with the other surviving members of the Drama era line-up, especially now Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman are off doing their own thing (quite well, I should add). I've spent the last few weeks listening to very little except Drama, 90125, the expanded reissue of Adventures In Modern Recording and various outtakes from this overall period, including some of the music created under the Cinema name, plus Rabin's "90124" demos. However, it's the Drama material that's really being played the most, and I'd love to see Trevor get another chance at fronting Yes without the pressure of his previous run. Into The Lens/I Am A Camera really should be a staple by now, in my opinion! Maybe they'll finally lower the keys of certain tracks so he doesn't strain himself as much, plus it's likely crowds would be more welcoming to him now. In hindsight, Drama is an absolutely killer album, so to get a even more of a spiritual successor in the form of a reworked Fly From Here and a third Buggles studio effort gives me at least two reasons to look forward to 2017. Also, let's not forget the teaser videos posted on the official Art Of Noise YouTube channel a few months back hinting at someone - likely to be a returning J.J. Jeczalik - trying to acquire several Fairlights. Could we be looking at a great year for Yes-related releases?

11. Oh, and since my last message, I've learned that 2017 may also bring a studio album from Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman - how amazing could that be?! Also, I'm crossing my fingers in the hope Steven Wilson can tackle Drama, preferably with as many outtakes from those sessions as possible, or at least some of these might fit in with the remixed Fly From Here if the powers that be decide to expand this...

jupiter8 and Scottb like this.
  12. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Would be nice to see, but it seems pretty unlikely, however much they talk about it. They'll probably doa good deal more touring in '17, and studio work hasn't gone at that fast a pace-- For whatever work they've already put in, they don't seem to have more than pieces of one or two tracks. So an album would involve committing to a timeframe of continuous work. Not sure they have the discipline-- would love to see it happen, though.

13. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I've always liked Drama, but does this say more about its merits, or the last 25 years of Yes releases?

14. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Downes has said that the multi's for Drama are gone and he is very strongly opposed to a new remix.

ShardEnder likes this.
  15. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

What's wrong with Drama the way it is? It sounds great to me and was already done with one of the most talented men in the business at the controls. (This year's vinyl re-release is excellent by the way).

16. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

I have it on good authority that that acoustic guitar finger noise is because it is NOT Steve Howe, but Trevor Horn playing that part (I believe he's even credited on the album playing guitar). When Steve first heard the mix he was furious as TH had promised to not use that take.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  17. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

Nothing's wrong with it, but it's an excellent candidate for a 5.1 mix.

bizmopeen likes this.
  18. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

Only way I'd buy this would be if Downes parts were replaced by Wakeman...won't happen!
    And I won't have to buy this, it's a win-win situation.

Scottb likes this.
  19. I recall a comment suggesting that someone in the Yes camp might have been opposed to further Steven Wilson remixes, but I had no idea it was Geoff blocking Drama specifically - presumably he doesn't have a problem with Trevor's vocals being added to Fly From Here, but it sounds a little too convenient that he opposes anything being done with their previous effort together while also suggesting the multitracks are missing (which I highly doubt, by the way*), making it impossible one way or the other. If we can't get this particular album for whatever reason, a surround treatment of 90125 with extended 12" mixes, exclusive b-sides and any more songs from the initial Cinema era recordings would be very welcome compensation...

*Now that I think about it, could this be why the remaster had to be padded out with material from the earlier aborted Paris sessions perhaps better suited to Tormato rather than giving us further 1980 studio outtakes that have been circulating for years?

20. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Downes definitely said that Drama does not need a new stereo mix. He did say he likes Steven Wilson's surround mixes and would like a surround mix of 'Drama' but that the multi's are gone. I don't think we'll see anymore YES stuff from Steven. Steve Howe was on board with the remixes but Downes was very much against a new stereo mix of 'Drama'.

ShardEnder likes this.
  21. davers

davers Forum Resident

I concur that won't happen...for good reason!

Nothing against Wakemen (I dug seeing him live with Yes in the 70s), but I can't imagine for a minute that he'd improve Downes' work on this album.

Fly From Here is very much a Drama / Buggles approach - meaning more modern and moody synth work. Definitely not Wakeman's style.

zen, ARK and NorthNY Mark like this.
  22. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

He should reform the Buggles, but no cash in that! I think his playing and choice of sounds is lame.

23. Well, this is shaping up to be quite the year for YesFans, as we've the aforementioned Trevor Horn version of Fly From Here on the horizon, plus ARW saying they've been recording all of their live shows in order to eventually edit together an album of the best performances. On top of these, it's known that Trevor's been doing "something" with Buggles, though whether this is new material or simply remaking tracks from their second album (if this had theoretically been completed with the full involvement of Geoff Downes) remains to be seen, as I've read conflicting information regarding its contents. Also, there's the possibility of a studio album from ARW in the future, and most recently someone with previous connections to Yes has come forward with digital "masters" from the little-documented period they were going under the Cinema name, or Ice as it now seems they were briefly called prior to even that, with both having to be changed for legal reasons. While its unlikely such a release would ever see the light of day officialy, I'm still hoping these recordings surface, as the owner has teased via Facebook, if only to hear just how much of 90125 was completed by the band in addition to Trevor Rabin's demos, many compiled as 90124 a few years back. Here's a little teaser of what's out there:

[​IMG]

HanowarHAIL and Hep Alien like this.
  24. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

By all indications quite a lot was changed, as the songs were reworked around Anderson's words and melodies. You can hear that in the demo of Owner," which is a very different song.

25. If my understanding of the Cinema project is correct, the four-piece group spent a large portion of 1982 rehearsing the new material eventually used on 90125 (which is where at least the first of those two discs originates). Then, with Trevor Horn producing, they completed a finished album that Chris Squire played to Jon Anderson, who spent just a few weeks contributing some last minute vocals and lyrical alterations. From what I've read on the subject, Jon didn't actually make that much of a difference to what Cinema had already finished, so the chance to hear more of their original work is one I'm really hoping works out. Maybe the reason we've not heard more from these sessions is because they'd reveal his actual input was quite limited, being a politically-motivated way of getting the existing results out under the name with a far larger, established fanbase? I remember a quote from Jon where he said the other members asked him not to "make waves" upon his return, so it's possible this was the case...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.