Designated Survivor (ABC)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HGN2001, Sep 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Think about it...how much better would this show be if the Designated Survivor turned out to be some ex-Navy Seal bad-ass (ala Jack Bauer) who decides to get to the bottom of stuff his way?

2. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I think there may be some mixed signals in the above posts.

3. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Can we lay off the real life politics here? Thanks a bunch!:righton:

marblesmike and hodgo like this.
  4. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

But it will be interesting to see what scriptwriters do in the next season.

Encuentro likes this.
  5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

"Who took the bullet?" Shades of "Who shot J.R.?"

6. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

My guess is the wife.

7. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

With any luck, the show runner took the bullet.

8. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

You know your show is doing well when "Match Game" with Alec Baldwin is about to occupy your time slot.

9. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Probably "thin air" took the bullet. The shooter probably missed when he got distracted or hit when the FBI agent shot at him.

John B Good likes this.
  10. John B Good

Conspiracy of Unparalleled proportions? Yeah!

"She was hit by another car when on her way to deliver the evidence? Gosh, the same thing happened to me in 24 like dozens of times." :)

Make the Empire great again. Wow!

11. John B Good

Did he ever look like Angel from Buffy!

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Good god, what a stupid cliffhanger. And we have to wait 3 months for a new episode? I think half the audience just tuned out.

Just to ask one of many "ridiculous plot" questions: why didn't the renegade FBI agent, Maggie Q, pick up the phone and call somebody just once on the way to the VP inauguration? She really thought she would just show up, get through the crowd, and shoot up the place? Stupid, stupid, stupid.

neo123 likes this.
  13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

MARCH.....MARCH....WTF!

this is ridiculous.

quite possibly the stupidest thing ever.

hey, but at least the kids seem to be totally out of the picture: they never even mention the little girl anymore and the idiot bastard son story is over, and he also is hopefully gone. for good.

14. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

I thought the main issue was that she could not trust anyone. Would it be just a matter of making a phone call? Plus, she realized that she was not safe and a target, and any attempt to make contact could expose her.

Encuentro likes this.
  15. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Yes, you're right. She told the computer tech guy that he was the only person she could trust a few episodes back.

16. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

It's enough time for us to forget how much this show sucks. And Homeland series 6 will be wrapping up.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

If she called the White House and said, "put me through to the President -- I have a matter of national security!", I think she'd eventually get through to the President's assistant or at least the chief of staff. It was a plot device to put her in danger and prolong the mystery. Very lame and silly. What happened to the last show that revolved around "trust no one"...

[​IMG]

John B Good and neo123 like this.
  18. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

It lasted nine seasons, two films and a mini-series with the possibility of more to come. It did pretty well for itself.

19. John B Good

I get the X Files vibe too, just missing the xtra-terrestrials.

And Survivor uses every plot-absurdity that made me often expostulate vehemently through many seasons of 24. :)

Deesky likes this.
  20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

You get a like for using the phrase "expostulate vehemently" and making me look up the meaning of the word expostulate! :)

John B Good likes this.
  21. John B Good

Sometimes all it meant was WTF! :)

Deesky likes this.
  22. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

The premise of 24 requires some suspension of disbelief. That being said, the first two seasons were very good. Everything after that was a mixed bag. I believe it was season 3 in which Jack flew back and forth to Mexico a couple of times and accomplished whatever it was he needed to accomplish down there all within the span of a few real-time episodes.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Through a fluke, I watched one of the 24 seasons on Blu-ray, and the producers had some interesting commentary tracks. In one, they admitted that in the real world, if the CIA or the NSA needed to move a spy satellite, it would take about 3 days. In the show, they had to have it moved within a couple of hours, so they just let that go. I frequently went nuts with this technical stuff, particularly when the 24 "ITU" people could dial up the security cameras inside a 7-11, go to a street camera, then go to an office building hallway and inside an elevator... only in the real world, none of this stuff is hooked up to a central location.

Designated Survivor
    definitely has its share of improbable plot problems. Heck, I'd question how they managed to somehow elect 100 Senators and 400+ Representatives only about 5-6 weeks after the Capitol building blew up.

Oh, I didn't say that X-Files wasn't successful. It just got very, very crappy, had shows that made no sense, and ultimately had no ending to wrap up several dozen story threads.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    Encuentro likes this.
  24. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

We binge-watched the first 10 episodes this past weekend, and overall I'm enjoying it. Some have compared it to a soap opera but I think it's closer to one of those old Saturday morning serials. "Oh no, the FBI agent was just in a horrific car accident ... but wait, here she is walking around!" and so on. I do agree that there are a few too many subplots, and it would seem that even the writing staff knew the son parentage plot wasn't working because they seemed in a hurry to get that one resolved.

I'll say one thing for this show, I have not been bored yet, which is unusual when it comes to me and political dramas. My wife loves the genre, so she is definitely in for the long haul. She is so antsy for it to start up again I'm just glad we didn't watch them when they originally aired. A couple of weeks to wait is a lot better than three months.

John B Good likes this.
  25. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

So, with its return, tonight's episode packed more absurdity into it than the entire first half season. LOL.

And what is it with the VP's wife? It seems she is the puppet master pulling all the strings or at least has the VP on a leash.

And don't get me started with the FBI lady and, for that matter, the entire FBI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.