Discogs collection feature

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by hbbfam, Dec 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have seen this discussed here. Do people use the 'collection' feature in discog? Can the albums be scanned in with a smartphone, with a laptop?

2. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I was into this right before I became a dad for the first time back in 2012. Then I stopped for some strange reason (2 kids now). I remember reading about some scanning solutions but I did it manually by entering the code. Not sure why I did that. Perhaps the scanning solutions wasn't so good then but better now? I'm sure some others are into it here.

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Manually here. Also retired, so I had time. 2100 + pieces.

4. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Manually here...majority of my classical are pre bar codes.

Dave and c-eling like this.
  5. Cervelo

Cervelo Forum Resident

Yes, you can scan with your smart phone. We use it quite a bit - it's a real timesaver.

6. hbbfam

I downloaded the discog app from android play store. There are no obvious clues how to scan from phone to add to my collection. How is it done?

painted8 likes this.
  7. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

If there's an icon that looks like a bar code, press it. That's what opens the feature on the iPhone. I use that feature for all albums that have a bar code. Otherwise, it's Googling the matrix values (which usually opens the correct version of the album in Discogs.

8. hbbfam

MonkeyMan likes this.
  9. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I don't care how the release is added, I find the Discogs collection feature to be freaking awesome. I love how I can sort by "newest additions" which can take me back to music-finding excursions in the past. My previous database would not give me this option once sorted by alpha. Either way, this comes in handy when shopping as well.

I still have well over 5K pieces to add but it'll be a labor of love.

10. highway chile

highway chile I know it goes a little deeper than that.

I've gradually been adding my collection to discogs over the last 2 years or so; manually. Whenever I get something new it gets listed there immediately. I also use discogs when posting in the "What Are You Listening To Now" thread here, so that way I can verify that I everything listed, and listed correctly.
    I'll admit I've had a few issues when trying to add new versions which is a bit frustrating. I consider myself rather adept with a computer, so either that's not the most user friendly site or I'm just fooling myself.
    Whatever the case may be, I'm glad I finally decided to list my collection there after dragging my heels on it for a long time.

Lost In The Flood and SJP like this.
  11. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I think adding new versions is a bit wonky. It should be much more straightforward than it is.

12. gss

gss Forum Resident

It's really the only way to keep track of your collection in 2016. Further, I really enjoy the high, median, low recently sold price function. It's great when buying used.

I'll have to try the dedicated app again, it seemed to lack some functionality that the mobile website offered.

I also concur that the new version addition process is brutal. They'd get a lot more submissions if that were tightened up a bit.

Beachtraveler likes this.
  13. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Same here, plus too many variances just going by barcode's alone, especially 90's and under

Galley, Colin M and Synthfreek like this.
  14. asodoma

asodoma Senior Member

I just "finished" putting in about 5,700 vinyl items. Took about 1.5 years. Mainly did it while I was listening to records or watching football. It's amazing how much time they spend not playing football in 3.5 hours.
    I put in all the matrix info by hand so I could have done it a lot quicker. I came across about 20 items that I couldn't find in discogs no matter how hard I searched. I'll add those in some day.

15. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Agreed. There might be 20 different variations of a popular major label release with the same exact barcode. I usually enter hub numbers in the search field to find specific editions when I add to my collection.

c-eling likes this.
  16. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I had this app, but I stopped using it when I found the mobile site for Discogs itself is very good. But I can't find anything to do a scan either.

17. hbbfam

I have been using this app. It works great. Scans the barcode and offers a list of the versions available. On the left side of screen is the 3 horizontal lines. Touch this and half way down page is the barcode scanner.
    Discography for Discogs - Android Apps on Google Play »

18. chazz101s

chazz101s Forum Resident

just dl'd & installed on my android - dropdown in upper left **lacks** barcode scanner - on my phone, the list is: collection, wantlist, lists, marketplace, vinylhub, search, settings, help is here.

help is no help: tells you "version 1.0.8 (1084)."

search for "barcode scanner" gives you a list of recordings.

wtf?

19. chazz101s

chazz101s Forum Resident

Still seeking info on the missing (??) barcode scanner option. . . . Anybody know?

20. hbbfam

That is too weird. I originally downloaded the regular discog app but then, after googling, the app above worked seemlessly. As you can see when you look at the webpage for that app (above) on the right side is the list that comes with the app. Barcode is about half way down.

I have Verizon. When I have had issues like this, their customer service techs have helped. Sometimes you have to clear the cache, and then maybe reinstall the app. I don't know if discog has tech support.
    [​IMG]

Discography for Discogs

Discography for Discogs Music & Audio
    [​IMG] Everyone
    Offers in-app purchases
    This app is compatible with all of your devices.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

21. Myke

Seamlessly. To be without seams. Seems you are mistaken. :winkgrin:

Simon A likes this.
  22. nktonga

nktonga Forum Resident

Right, I've had this app for ages and never used it and this thread prompted me to have a look at it to see what I've been missing. I managed to find the barcode scanner. I clicked on the search button - a rudimentary magnifying glass illustration - and in the header that's on the search screen goes from left to right: 3-line menu symbol; "search Discogs" bar for typing your search; a rudimentary barcode with each of the 4 corners square-bracketed (I can't think how else to describe it, sorry); the "X" close symbol. This is the same screen you'll get if you click on search from the main menu. I can't vouch for the quality or efficacy of the scanner, but it is there.

Just to be clear this is version 1.0.8 (1084) of the Android app.

23. hbbfam

I am through about 15% of my collection. The bar scanner has worked in all but a few cases. I am pretty impressed.

24. Myke

25. Beachtraveler

Beachtraveler Active Member

I do use Discogs to log my collection (no longer buy off there as I've been burned several times). It can be a major pain if doing it correctly because at least 75% of the lps I have have had different matrix runout etchings or are in some other way slightly different than the other versions in their database. Maybe I'm not searching correctly (I am pretty new to the site), but it's very time consuming to look up different versions when most of what I have is used. A lot of them don't have bar codes, but I don't see those as necessarily being accurate on used lps. For example, I have a used copy of Steely Dan's Gaucho that has clearly been placed in a different sleeve (sleeve is stamped as a promo copy, but media doesn't match up). So unless it's a new album I purchase shrink-wrapped, I don't trust that the sleeve and album are always an original pair. I've also had a local record shop tell me that they will often hold onto sleeves in good condition in the event a good condition lp comes in but the sleeve is less than great. I was trying to find my version of Songs in the Attic and not one of the versions listed had the upside down G mine had. Likely was an etching error, based on the rest of the etchings. Or they'll be *close* to other versions but have one or two differences. It's not that necessary for ME to match up the exact version, but different versions have different values. So it might be important at some point in the future.

So is there an easier way to search out my version? FWIW, some of the older (70s/80s) lps have fun etchings (particularly those by the Eagles).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.