EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Ooops.

Forgot about Bobby Vinton. :hide:

2. sgb

sgb Senior Member

You said it.

3. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

:biglaugh:

4. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

As we roll into 1964, we have "There! I've Said It Again" by Bobby Vinton, #1 from January 4 - January 31, 1964.

5. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Another of his covers of an older song.

6. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Zzzzzz.

Sorry.

The charts were due for a change. And they were about to get it.

bluejeanbaby and AppleBonker like this.
  7. John54

John54 Senior Member

My comments on Blue Velvet apply to There I've Said It Again. It's alright, but was never close to a favourite.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  8. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I like the lush sound of "There...I Said It Again", but man- it sounds like it was made in another time and on a different planet compared to what is next.......

I wonder if this thread will have more participation with the next #1.
    Perhaps if the OP closes this thread out and begins another starting with the next #1?

On 2nd thought, I like the fairly swift progression we have made here so far.......

9. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Whatever we think of "There! I've Said it Again", I for one can't help but like the sheer diversity of sounds you obviously had on AM radio in those days. Wow!

sgb likes this.
  10. sgb

sgb Senior Member

10-4, 10-4.

11. sgb

sgb Senior Member

And, THREE # 1 hits in a row from these guys; who woulda thought?

12. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I thought about that for a few minutes then remembered that there was a tune being played on the radio almost endlessly that contained some French. I wondered if there was a connection...

"Michelle, ma belle, sont des mots qui vont très bien ensemble, très bien ensemble."

Certainly there were others — especially from these guys.

sunspot42 and John B Good like this.
  13. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Vaughn Monroe's version of "There I Said It Again" is one of my favorite recordings of all time. I love Vaughn Monroe. Really interesting character who seems to have been largely forgotten. Amazing voice. Always nice to hear his "Let it Snow..." this time of year.

I like Vinton's version too. But it doesn't come close to Monroe's.

14. sgb

sgb Senior Member

The only Monroe songs I have in my collection are "Let It Snow" and "Black Denim Trousers and Motorcycle Boots," the latter seeming so out of place for the singer.

ampmods likes this.
  15. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I have a 2 disc set that has some great stuff on it. Cool versions of "(Ghost) Riders in the Sky," "The Very Thought of You," "Tangerine," "Cool Water" and "Racing With The Moon." Lovely stuff and worth checking out. That voice is truly something else.

pablo fanques likes this.
  16. John22

John22 Forum Resident

Nice picture about "There! I've Said It Again":

[​IMG]

sgb likes this.
  17. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I love the diversity, too.. I think Beatlemania was detrimental to american music... I jut never understood their appeal. As songwriters, I think they were amazing, but performers.. not so much. I only truly LOVE one Beatles song, and the reason I do is because it sounds like a Bee Gees song. I think many of the other british invasion acts were great, though.... especially Petula Clark.

Dougd, JoeRockhead and sgb like this.
  18. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

So long 1963, you were a highly enjoyable closer to the style of music America revered prior to the invasion. We got the crooners, the girl groups, R & B, a couple of non-English smashes and surf rock's first chart topper. I admit I'm all about what is to come but still, you were a great year for a sound that would soon be considered Old Folk's music. A fate everybody ends up meeting.

19. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

When I did my 1964 comp, I started it out with a few songs from that "bygone era" to set the stage for the sonic onslaught. To give you an idea of the impact I wanted:

VOLUME 1
    ========

01 - There! I've Said It Again - Bobby Vinton
    02 - Quicksand - Martha and The Vandellas
    03 - The Nitty Gritty - Shirley Ellis
    04 - Louie Louie - The Kingsmen
    05 - Popsicles And Icicles - The Murmaids
    06 - You Don't Own Me - Leslie Gore
    07 - Since I Fell For You - Lenny Welch
    08 - I Want to Hold Your Hand - The Beatles
    09 - Surfin Bird - Surfaris
    10 - She Loves You - The Beatles
    11 - Out of Limits - The Marketts
    12 - Anyone Who Had a Heart - Dionne Warwick
    13 - When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes - The Supremes
    14 - Java - Al Hirt
    15 - What Kind Of Fool (Do You Think I Am) - Tams
    16 - Dawn (Go Away) - The Four Seasons
    17 - Talking About My Baby - The Impressions
    18 - Ain't That Good News - Sam Cooke
    19 - Please Please Me - The Beatles
    20 - California Sun - The Rivieras
    21 - I Only Want To Be With You - Dusty Springfield
    22 - Fun Fun Fun - The Beach Boys
    23 - Suspicion - Terry Stafford
    24 - Navy Blue - Diana Renay
    25 - The Way You Do The Things You Do - The Temptations
    26 - Hello Dolly! - Louis Armstrong

Oh, I know most of you don't care, but I thought it might be a good way to get a feeling for what is to come. I also don't mean to jump ahead.

20. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

One of the more memorable things I remember from my chart-nerd days is that "Popsicles and Icicles" (which sounds like it could have been five years older than it really was) actually shared the top five with "I Want to Hold Your Hand" for a week. A rather telling look at just how quickly things changed, that.

SomeCallMeTim, Manapua, sgb and 2 others like this.
  21. Grant

I think it's great that so many diverse musical styles were on the upper reaches of the charts in those days. but, that was also the time where Billboard eliminated the R&B chart because of it. I think when they realized that a lot of R&B was getting thrown by the wayside, they restored it, just before Motown and Stax hit their golden years.

sgb and John B Good like this.
  22. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Interesting. Popsicles and Icicles is one of my personal favorites, and as I was listening to the new cd of their best, I thought I should make a compilation featuring them with The Ponytails, Teddy Bears, etc.

sgb, Grant and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  23. John54

John54 Senior Member

I don't think anyone ever considered 1963 "old folks music", and certainly not in 1964. For me, as a nine-year-old then, it was experienced as a seamless continuation. Having moved from the U. K. in the summer of 1963 I had already been exposed to a couple of Beatles hits, so that may have had an influence. But even though the Beatles had the whole top five one week, and though other British Invasion bands were tagging along, there was still a lot of good American pop stuff on the charts in pretty much the same style as before. Even the British Invasion bands' songs weren't all rave-ups like She Loves You. Look at World Without Love or I'm Into Something Good. Of course, I really like the Beatles but the forum generally gives them massively more credit than they deserve!

24. John54

John54 Senior Member

That is a great comp!

Grant likes this.
  25. Grant

Thanks! I grew up with, and like every song on that, and more. That's only volume one!