Oppo UDP-205 Announced

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ti-triodes, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member Thread Starter

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  2. Prism

Prism Damn Dirty Ape!

Thanks. I'll probably pick one of these up.

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Wait until you see the back :)

4. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Excellent. I may buy this.

5. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Pics or it didn't happen. :cheers:

6. David Johnson

David Johnson Forum Resident

I'm on the list and hope to be one of the first to receive this unit!
    In other words I'm all over this and will be replacing my current 105. I have been waiting for a year now for this to come out and kept off from sending my current 105 to be Modwrighted.

My expectations on this are really high!
    I could care less about the 4K, I will use this for pretty much audio only.
    Hopefully it will have XLR connections just as my 105.

Robert van Diggele and Linger63 like this.
  7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

You're killing me man :D!

8. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

You big teaser... Spill.

9. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

jamie anderson likes this.
  10. wpjs

wpjs Forum Resident

New format- All new players have had initial bugs, so yes-
    There are some issues with the 203- but they have already addressed a few with beta firmware.
    My experience- Oppo is quick to respond with a fix and customer service is very good.

Coricama, tmtomh and JediJoker like this.
  11. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I'm still using my 95 and 83SE and I couldn't give a damn about 4K playback (as nobody in my world, including me, could care less anyways, so why even bother to be a showoff?). I want the best in "audio playback", with XLR connections. Any ideas of what kind of price point this new gizmo will sell for?

(EDIT: Read "nobody in my world" as, nobody in my REAL life outside of The Steve Hoffman Forums)

SKean, MartinR and scobb like this.
  12. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Damn, they kept this wavy faceplate I don't like.

13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

What problems have you experienced with Oppo players? How many Oppo players have you owned?

Many A/V components when first released have issues. Whether or not you buy an Oppo is certainly your choice. I've owned four Oppo players with minimal issues. When I've had an issue the service from Oppo has been outstanding.

14. High Fidelity

I had problems with the 93 that Oppo could not resolve but managed to sell it. I bought the much lauded 103 but found the BD sound especially HF & picture inferior to my Sony 1000ES /BDp-760 UK I got a refund for the 103 ,after the Sony the Oppo was unlistenable. Oppos are full of software issues released too soon and very much overpriced.As for 4K I also could not care less, so will be buying a modified multi-region Sony UHP-H1

bluemooze and jamie anderson like this.
  15. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

This is the first really negative commen that I have seen for an Oppo player. Perhaps it was just a bad match for your system?

16. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

Forgive my ignorance but what do XLR connections offer over good quality standard RCA connections?

bluemooze likes this.
  17. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

I can't wait to send to send this off to Dan for another Modwright special.

Sharp 1080 and Metralla like this.
  18. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I'm a fan of Oppo, but I am currently having an unusual problem with my 93. A few months ago, it stopped being able to play blu-rays only from Fox. Discs that used to play perfectly now will not load. All other blu-rays, as well as DVDs, CDs, SACDs, DVD-Audio discs, play perfectly. I contacted Oppo, and they say my player has a problem reading the "metadata". There must be some way the Fox discs are replicated that is causing this problem. I may just spring for the 203 eventually.

19. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Since you mentioned the UHP-H1, Jet.com has the Region-Free version for as low as $486 USD. Accepts 110 - 240 VAC.

Jet.com - Prices Drop As You Shop »

bluemooze likes this.
  20. High Fidelity

£399 in the UK

21. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

But I repeat if you were going to buy an Oppo for stereo reproduction you would go for the 105 that's the one lauded for it's music making ability NOT the 103.

You seem to spend all your time thrashing Oppo-this player isn't even out.

It's a fact that the Oppo 105 at it's price point is a very special product with it's versatility and stereo ability-it can be beaten but you are into bigger outlays then.

Oppo aren't the be all and end all-there are all alternatives but they've been successful because they are good and are enjoyed by a lot of people. You seem to have an agenda and to repeat another poster why don't you list your system so we can see where you are coming from.

StanBax, tmtomh, Linger63 and 4 others like this.
  22. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

The connectors won't do anything if the design isn't balanced end-to-end.

bluejimbop likes this.
  23. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Well this true for the most part, but if the balanced outputs are low impedance you can still take advantage of them for driving long lines even if you unbalance them. For those that don't know, if your output is low impedance it will not suffer as much from high frequency loss in the cables due to capacitance.

24. alan967tiger

alan967tiger Forum Resident

I love my 105D, which I bought new 2 years ago. I've used the XLR outputs and heard a noticeable increase in clarity and a slightly bigger soundstage.

I've not had any problems with it or the 103 which I owned a couple of years ago.

The 105D is, imo, excellent vfm, and it's not that far behind my Esoteric X03SE in sq on 2 channel SACD.

I'll likely buy the UDP 205 too:)

tmtomh likes this.
  25. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

Sorry to sound off but I've noticed that many forum members say that they could less about something when they actually mean the opposite. I just had to get that off my chest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.