Michael Schenker - Thoughts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mike Campbell, Dec 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident Thread Starter

Regarding Michael Schenker's THANK YOU series......I have them all, and really like them...a bit of a different side to Michael...I'd be interested hearing others thoughts on these releases....

2. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

I have one of the Thank You albums. I haven't listened to it in a long time. I'll have to revisit it. I saw Schenker with UFO in '79, it was incredible. I also saw him at some clubs in NYC touring his first and second solo albums. He is an incredible player, amazing to see live. Seeing him play with UFO in their prime ranks right up there as one of my top concert experiences. :cheers:

3. Mike Campbell

I have seen virtually every guitar master since 1972,,,,but have never seen him...had the chance once, and I didn't go...I should be horse whipped.

vmajewsk and sunking101 like this.
  4. gpalz

gpalz Forum Resident

Saw him play back in 1999. He basically stood still in one spot with his head down wearing a trench coat. Finished the set with no encore. Followed by boos from the audience. Very weird experience. Never bothered to see him again after that. I do love his second album. On and On, Let Sleeping Dogs Lie, But I Want More, Looking for Love just brilliant.

5. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

OK, I'll confess -- I like Schenker, loved his UFO stuff since No Heavy Petting was my first exposure in the 70s, have seen him live....but I know nothing of this "Thank You" series...do tell more

Mike Campbell likes this.
  6. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I love the MSG live album One Night at Budokan.

7. Grohlfan

Grohlfan Dan

His melodic sense in his playing makes him about my favorite axemen of all time. The Michael Schenker Story is one hell of a live performance! Great to hear a different take with the Thank You series.

danielbravo, MYQ1, Shipped_It and 3 others like this.
  8. Mike Campbell

In 1993 and 2002, Michael did a series of 3, (possibly 4) acoustic cd's, that he did specifically as an appreciative thank you to his fans....I have 1, 2 and 3...I heard there might have been a 4th. anyway, for those who have heard himdo acoustic things, the guy is magnificent....for any schenker fans, these are a must....the production is top notch, the sound quality is a 10.....My guess is they are a little tough to find now, but would be well worth the effort...All his own material if memory serves me...For those that like him, or like acoustic guit.....they are excellent. I was under the initial impression that more music, schenker fans would have already known about this series....that was why I was asking about peoples thoughts on them...surprised more aren't familiar with these releases.

9. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Schenker is my favorite living guitarist, despite not releasing what I consider to be a decent studio album in many many many years.

You HAVE to see him live though, he still delivers the goods. Also he is playing better than ever, the head down, bummed out, alcohol blizted Schenker in the trenchcoat that someone mentioned above from 1999 is thankfully gone, instead you have a very happy and energized lead guitar player whose smile just beams out across the stage, he loves what he's doing now.

Just check out his live DVD/album set from the Temple of Rock lineup in 2012, called Live In Europe (I prefer that one over the more recent one from this year called On a Mission Live In Madrid). His Temple of Rock band has the old bass player & drummer from the Scorpions and the 2012 set has multiple Scorpions songs in the setlist that just kick azz. I have the Deluxe edition of that which also has some really cool rehearsal stuff on it.

As far as the Thank You CDs go, there are actually 5 of them - Thank You (1993), Thank You 2 (1998), Thank You with Orchestra (1999), Thank You 3 (2001), and Thank You 4 (2003).

I have no interest in the one with an orchestra, and was never able to get #4 (it was for sale only at gigs IIRC) but have the other 3.

They are OK I guess but not really my thing, been many years since I listened to them. I think my name is somewhere on #1 along with the other fans that pre-ordered it at the time.

I wish he would get together with a decent singer/songwriter that could take his riffs and shape them into decent melodic songs, like Phil Mogg of UFO did, or what Gary Barden did in the early MSG days (I actually like their largely unplugged Gipsy Lady album from 2009 though).

Also note that a few years ago Don Dokken was supposed to add vocals to one of the Thank You projects for a new release but that never happened afaik.

10. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

11. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I preferred him when he was with the Scorpions! :edthumbs:

12. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

UFO: Phenomenon & Obsession. IMO the 2 best UFO albums, and Michael is on them.

MSG; I have the 2LP live at Budokan + Assault Attack is the MSG peak in the 80's.

Scorpions: Lovedrive is my favorite, don't know about writing credits.

13. vmajewsk

vmajewsk Forum Resident

Love Mr. Schenker's playing, both acoustic and electric!

danielbravo and Jimmy Agates like this.
  14. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

I don't have any of his thank you cds. I've seen MS twice and UFO one the past five years. I enjoyed all the shows. It's too bad MS never enjoyed superstardom as he's such a talented guitarist.

vmajewsk and Jimmy Agates like this.
  15. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Love Schenker in UFO I have the first Thank You album autographed by the man himself and it's worth the price of admission for this pure insanity....

slipkid likes this.
  16. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

I had tickets for the next 3 shows (the last of that tour) but the morning I was to fly over from Australia I saw the news that the tour had been cancelled. You can imagine my pleasure :-(

17. Mike Campbell

One of his, and any one elses acoustic releases is the Japanese release, and some the disc has "for Japanese " fans only is the MSG "unplugged Live"..from 1992...he and Robin hit a home run....speedy picking when necessary, and soulful when necessary...My all time favorite Michael release, maybe like it as much or more than the Live and D......If you are a Schenkfer fan, and don't have the one I speak of....get it...you wont be disappointed. Promise...

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  18. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Funnily enough, my copy is signed by Pete Way and Phil Mogg but not Michael.

[​IMG]

Mad Mickey was in one of his moods that night. I brought that CD with me to get signed along with Walk On Water (the 1995 tour), he kept all of us waiting like an extra FOUR hours b4 he even showed up to play, and after the show unlike the rest of the band he did not come and hang with us fans (on the other hand all of the rest of the guys were super great and friendly!).

Phil & Pete with a friend of mine.

[​IMG]

Simon Wright & Paul Raymond:

[​IMG]

Phil & Pete (signing my CDs I think):

[​IMG]

Michael really did go through some rough times back in the '90's though. I have seen him a couple times since then & to his credit he has been very upbeat, interacting with fans, signing stuff, etc. I think his head in is in a very different place these days.

19. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

i have MSG unplugged with Robin singing.. great cd

Mike Campbell likes this.
  20. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

When I hear the name Michael Schenker, I instantly think "phrasing and tone." His note selection, sense of melody and pitch are in a class by themselves. And he always gets a great sound with minimal amounts of equipment and processing.

As someone mentioned earlier, if you were dismayed by the overweight drunken Michael from a few years ago, get the Temple Of Rock Blu Rays. The man is back on form in a big way.

vmajewsk, unclefred, MYQ1 and 3 others like this.
  21. Mike Campbell

sure is.....Michael and Robin are on Fire.

22. Mike Campbell

anyone know what kind of acoustic guitar he was using on the CD I speak of? Unplugged MSG ?

23. gudnoyez

gudnoyez Forum Resident

Next to Uli Jon Roth, Michael Schenkner is one of my favorites.

24. Mike Campbell

You have good taste my friend !!!!!

25. Martgrol

Martgrol Forum Resident

I have the first three Thank you albums. My favourite is the first one which I feel is melodically superior (and also slower) in comparison to the following ones.

Michael Schenker is one of my favourite guitarists and he may be the best player regarding incorporating melody in his lead playing that i know of. Just listen to the "Strangers in the Night" for many, many examples of this. For a deeper analysis of his playing style I can recommend the following link: Michael Schenker | Dinosaur Rock Guitar »

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.