U2 - The Joshua Tree vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bjohnsen74, Sep 6, 2016.

1. bjohnsen74

bjohnsen74 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi! I tried the search engine first, couldn't find any info.

I tried to go online to just buy a new copy of this album since I figured it would be available as a reissue, and my local store here in Norway didn't have a copy or a chance to order it. Tried Amazon and no reissue seemed to be available. Is this out of print, or am I just looking in the wrong places? Tried ebay and nothing but very expensive 20th anniversary editions from 2007 seemed to be available. I'd just assumed that this album is like Thriller, getting reissued all the time. So I was surprised to find it unavailable.

Anyone know?

2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

2007 was the last year of press for the 2x12

3. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

I bought an anniversary reissue that was released about 8 years ago and I didn´t like it. I already had an old Argentinian worn out copy and I thought that it was a good chance for an upgrade. I was wrong, and my old copy it´s still my to go one.

4. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

The original release sold 25 million copies when vinyl was still the reigning format, so there's always been a huge supply of used copies. That's my guess about the lack of a standard reissue on vinyl.

5. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I see that album in the used record bins quite often.

Minty_fresh likes this.
  6. Adamski777

Adamski777 Forum Resident

I recently picked up a Japanese original pressing for about $20 plus shipping that was near mint. As Stone Turntable mentioned it sold millions when released (believe it's definitely in the top 20 best selling albums in history) so just keep your eyes peeled for an original pressing - think I read in other threads the US release is the most desirable.

7. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Forum Resident

Just got a sealed Columbia House pressing for $14.99 from the local 2nd and Charles - and they had a bunch of other, similar, albums too. Wondering if they just tapped an old warehouse cache?

8. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I still have my original US pressing that I picked up along with the CD on release day back in Spring of '87 as well as the 2006 2 LP remaster. IMO, the 2 LP remaster blows away the original and is well worth seeking out. I'm not much of a fan of the '06-'07 vinyl remasters compared to originals but the remasters of Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby they got right.

hi_watt likes this.
  9. via_atx

via_atx Forum Resident

On Music Direct's website, the double LP reissue is still listed as "awaiting repress", which is humorous. Ridiculous that copies are going for 100+ on eBay. I have an original pressing and have always found the sound thin and lacking. I hear the reissue sounds much better. Wonder why they just don't press more?

Man at C&A likes this.
  10. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

11. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

I have an original U.K. pressing, an original U.S. pressing and within the past three years I bought a Japan pressing. I actually bought a copy of the Anniversary 2 LP issue in 2007 but had problems with it and that is what led me to pick up the U.S. and Japan copies subsequently. I had a problem also with the 2008 (?) reissue of 'Achtung Baby' which I have never been able to replace. It's surprising that these are out of print given the healthy supply of vinyl LPs in the stores these days.

12. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

I'd like to hear the reissue to see if I think it's worth the purchase. I have the original vinyl and it sounds awesome to me.

13. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Mystique.

14. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident

They have repressed these - i saw one in the York branch of the Supermarket Sainsbury's a weekend or two ago.

[​IMG]

And i saw Boy, Unforgettable Fire and War in the Manchester Arndale HMV.

Also on the website too:

Search Results »

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    hi_watt and JeffMo like this.
  15. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Neat, looks like they are using the 2007 hype sticker

16. bjohnsen74

bjohnsen74 Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I got hold of a 2007 remastered 2 vinyl set of this album finally. It sounds great, and better than the original pressing version I found. Since there are 4 sides there obviously are only a few songs on each side, like side 2 which only holds Bullet and Running.. The runout groove is huge, larger than half of the side. Isn't part of the point to press on 2 vinyl to use the whole side to achieve benefits of wider grooves? As it is, the songs are no larger than on my original 1 LP copy. Anyone know why that is?

17. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

It's a balancing act. Distortion increases the closer you get to the label and you also don't want to pack grooves too close together. I suppose the mastering engineer just went for what he felt was the best compromise.

18. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

I guess the point was to avoid igd, as said in the post above.

19. Pieter Kozak

Pieter Kozak Well-Known Member

I have both the UK Townhouse Mastered & USA Masterdisk vinyl orginals both in NM condition. I prefer the USA Masterdisk to the UK Townhouse, More punch and more bass. You can't go wrong with an original they sound superb, on my system anyway.

rollo5 and Stone Turntable like this.
  20. Tartifless

Hello,

Seems there is a repress/reissue on preorder on amazon.
    Anyone knows what it might be ?

21. tingly

tingly Forum Resident

There could be a new pressing next year with the Joshua Tree 30th anniversary stadium tour.

22. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Would you have a link for this please

23. Tartifless

24. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

25. Tartifless

Can you confirm whether it's the same as the 2008 remaster ?

Is it on double lp ?

What label is it ?