David Bowie A New Career In A New Town 1977 1982 Boxset 3

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zach Johnson, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've discussed this recently in some other threads (as I'm sure others have), but seeing as 'Five Years' was released in September of 2015, and 'Where Can I Be Now' was released in September of this year, it seems the next big Bowie box set would be released in September of 2017.

One would imagine that it would include the Berlin Trilogy, but will it be focused on just those 3 albums? Or will it include Scary Monsters as well? Could it go even further, considering that the first two box sets both contain 12 CDs/13 LPs.

I'd personally like to keep it to just the Berlin Trilogy, and perhaps Scary Monsters (since it's closer stylistically than it is to its successors), but it seems they wouldn't be able to get to that 12CD/13LP mark...Although I'd imagine that's not too important, unless the powers that be have OCD.

What would be included if this were the case? There are the two mixes of 'Stage', as well as 'Re:Call 3'. Is there any other live material from this time period that could be included? And how about a name for the set? 'Sound and Vision', 'Art Decade', and 'Fantastic Voyage' could all work.

Any thoughts?

Francis A Carr and ccbarr like this.
  2. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

it wouldn't be difficult to piece together a 12 or 13 LP set from this period, especially if they use it as an opportunity to "wrap up" the RCA period (i.e. Re:Call 3 to include material up to the Baal EP, meaning the likes of Cat People and Under Pressure are included).

Low (1LP/1CD)
    "Heroes" (1LP/1CD)
    Stage (original mix/order) (2LP/2CD)
    Stage (2005 mix/order) (3LP/2CD)
    Lodger (1LP/1CD)
    Scary Monsters (1LP/1CD)
    Re:Call 3 (2LP/1CD)

that's 11LPs or 9CDs without including a remix album - Low is known to have been remixed for 5.1, so a new stereo mix of that is a definite possibility, and Visconti has mentioned a desire to remix Lodger on a number of occasions. so there's a further 1 or 2LPs and CDs. rights issues may prevent Peter And The Wolf from being included, but i'd like to see it on one side of an LP with the promo edit on the other. chances are rather slim.

3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

People like the idea of a Berlin Trilogy so putting Scary Monsters in the box would destroy that illusion.

4. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

They will find some way to pad it out like an "unreleased rare mix" of Low or a new live album. Maybe include a recording of him playing the full album live in 2003 or whenever?

5. MadamAdam

MadamAdam Forum Resident

The box title has two words and comes from a song from an album that begins with the letter L

ndoheny likes this.
  6. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

so they're going to release a 3LP set to pander to the whims of the misguided? that'll work.

7. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sorry, *'Who Can I Be Now', not 'Where'...The wee hours of the morning here in Ontario. ;)

Scope J, rbichamp and Sean like this.
  8. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Is it Dig It from Let It Be?

bunglejerry, Trbnado, crispi and 4 others like this.
  9. MadamAdam

MadamAdam Forum Resident

Oh, get back.

vonwegen likes this.
  10. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Weeping Wall?

Tim

11. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Always Cashing?

Tim

NunoBento, crispi, fallbreaks and 8 others like this.
  12. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

Fantastic Voyage has a nice ring to it. I suppose it could be Move On but that seems a bit of a mundane title to me.

vonwegen and MadamAdam like this.
  13. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Art Decade probably. Sound + Vision's already been used.

I hope it includes Scary Monsters as it doesn't fit in with the rest of the 80's crud at all.

14. Should go through to up to and including Baal.Is there some equivalent to The Gouster they could put together from this period?

15. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

but 77-82 is only half a decade... the other box titles have been more literal, perhaps.

16. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Just my guess ;)

17. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Didn't Low have a different title in early cassettes? They could stretch that into a bonus album.

andrewskyDE and Kwai Chang like this.
  18. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

New Music: Night And Day. but the content was identical to the final version.
    it's probably asking too much but if they really want to include something previously unissued then the lost soundtrack to The Man Who Fell To Earth would guarantee plenty of extra sales.

19. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

Indeed but Scary Monsters doesn't fit too much with his other 80's albums sonically.

20. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

There was a promo album in the USA called Bowie Now. Judging by the contents of the last box it's in there with a chance.

bobdylansbarber and NUNZI like this.
  21. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

Bowie Now only features tracks from Low and "Heroes", nothing not found on the albums. they're going to have to come up with something previously undocumented and i don't think they will, just a new remix or two.

22. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

A closer look at the credits on the sleeves of "Low" and "Lodger" would destroy that illusion too:whistle::whistle::whistle:

23. leoconsole

leoconsole Forum Resident

I think it'll be:

Low (1xLP)
    Heroes (1xLP)
    Stage - Original mix (2xLP)
    Stage - Remix (2xLP)
    Lodger (1xLP)
    Scary Monsters (1xLP)
    Re:Call 3 (1xLP)
    Baal (1xEP)
    They ususally try to add some kind of previously unreleased/alt mix type thing so I wonder if a remixed Lodger might be included too?

Re:call 3 possible running order:
    1. "Heroes"/"Helden" (English/German version)
    2. "Heroes"/"Héros" (English/French version)
    3. Breaking Glass (Extended Edit)
    4. Peace On Earth/Little Drummer Boy
    5. Revolutionary Song
    6. D.J. (Single Edit)
    7. Panic In Detroit (re-recording)
    8. Alabama Song
    9. Space Oddity (re-recording)
    10. Fashion (Single Version)
    11. Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps) (Single Version)
    12. Crystal Japan

I would guess stuff like Cat People & Under Pressure might fit in better stylistically with an 80s box.

Hawkman, ccbarr and andrewskyDE like this.
  24. MadamAdam

MadamAdam Forum Resident

The Gouster was a virtually finished album. There are no equivalent albums in the can from the period in question.

Neonbeam likes this.
  25. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

indeed, plus there have already been a couple of trilogy box sets...

[​IMG] [​IMG]