Best Record store - used/new Phoenix AZ area

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by rebellovw, Dec 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm looking for the current best places to go for buying used and new albums. I used to go to Revolver which is pretty good (certainly no amoeba ) - but I understand has changed in the last few years and seemed that way when I last went it.

I see a 2011 multiple page thread on this - but I'm looking for current as of 2016.

I mostly buy blues, jazz and some rock - but mostly stuff like Miles, Coltrane, Bill Evans etc - I like a very large selection so I can just grab artists that I've never heard of.

I'll be driving from Prescott.

Thanks!

Chris

2. AzShawn

AzShawn New Member

Pretty easy question to answer. RecordHigh

rebellovw likes this.
  3. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

I recommend The 'In' Groove. The selection is great for both new and used vinyl, and the store is exceptionally well organized.

If you are going to Record High, make sure you call ahead to see that they are actually open that day.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    Dan Steele, rebellovw and Grant like this.
  4. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

So if I'm just looking for audiophile pressing, mofi, Analogue Productions, Audio Fidelity, etc. the Record High is probably my best bet?

5. Bad Samaritan

Bad Samaritan Forum Resident

I second all of this, even the part about calling ahead to Record High. Of the 5 times I've stopped by there during published business hours, they've only been open twice.

6. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

I took a peek at their website--and here are their hours:

Monday-closed
    Tuesday through Friday-11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
    Saturday-10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
    Sunday-11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

I can understand them being closed on Monday, there are lots of small businesses that stay open on Sunday and are closed on Monday. Next time I'm in Phoenix, I WOULD like to stop in that store, I have heard good opinions about them. Obviously best to call them first!

7. Bad Samaritan

Bad Samaritan Forum Resident

Go to In Groove first. Bigger store, more selection, well-organized.
    Honestly, I don't know that there's any bargains to be had at either of these stores though, vinyl prices are getting out of hand.

rebellovw and LordThanos1969 like this.
  8. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

I agree with Bad Samaritan that In Groove should be your first stop.

rebellovw likes this.
  9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I was in Revolver just three weeks ago and found a few somewhat rare (to me) albums, but still wasn't enough to make me buy them. Having limited funds will tend to have that effect. I found a couple of 45s, but, these days, I just don't have a lot of patience to look through the 45s with the way most stores have them situated on the floor under cabinets, and mixed with newer indie punk.

I go to Zia and find the same thing all the time.
    I go to PDQ in Tucson when I get a chance.

I'll check out the two recommended store soon!

rebellovw and LordThanos1969 like this.
  10. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Probably too late for your trip, but I can't second or third the rec on In Groove more strongly. Fantastic store, organized, clean, used LPs in very good condition and packed carefully. He has tons of jazz and classic rock, with new releases too. Thought prices were reasonable there.

LordThanos1969 and Twinsfan007 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.