Oppo's Facebook page announces UHD 4K player: UDP-203*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by IAMBLEST, Jun 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Did you have to run a Firmware update?

Nice gear BTW

2. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Set mine up in 5 minutes. At first the door wouldn't open but I waited and discovered that the unit was doing a firmware update. After the update completed everything works just fine (so far).

3. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I've played two more discs on mine and had no freezes. I played the Sully UHD-BD and Criterion's Ride With The Devil BD. I'll probably play another flick tonight.

Bill Mac likes this.
  4. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

A disc comes with the player and I ran it upon turn-on. The player is set to notify me of updates automagically but hasn't yet offered a newer firmware.

Thanks for your kind words.

Linger63 likes this.
  5. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

How do I stop the sound cutting out on my player (I'm using the RCA analogue out from my player) when, after using the menu on a DVD-A/BD-A disc, I switch my monitor back to my computer? It really irks me and seeing as my monitor doesn't have an analogue input (for that matter this new Oppo doesn't even have an analogue out) I'm stuck with an audio dropout when playing any disc that requires using the menu.

6. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Glad you're happy with HDMI. Unfortunately the overwhelming majority of complaints with the 203 are HDMI related.

Of course, now that 4K video needs a cable that is HDMI 2.0A/ HDCD 2.2 compliant, why should they tell anybody? Let them figure it out for themselves. :rolleyes:

7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Doubt what?

8. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Stuttering on standard blurays. You seriously couldn't figure out what I meant by first reading the quoted post then my response?

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Given that dozens of people have reported stuttering on standard Blu-rays with the current firmware, I'm wondering why exactly you'd be doubting such a bug?

10. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

Would you define 30 feet as a long run for HDMI? I'm worried that running a 30 ft cable from my laptop to the oppo will cause issues

11. Hymie the Robot

I thaught I had been keeping up on THIS thread and I saw one report of one stutter on a 4k movie. Hopefully they get it sorted quickly.

12. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Yeah, 30 is long. Avoid that run if you can. I wouldn't go any longer than 6 myself. Why laptop to Oppo if you don't mind me asking?

Ed

13. Hymie the Robot

Monoprice has cheap hdmi adapters that use cat 6 ethernet cables (2) that extend to 100 feet...

scobb and Shawn like this.
  14. Hymie the Robot

Laptop with hdmi makes a great low power htpc/music player. jRiver, Foobar2000, Musicbee, Kodi, ect.

15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

The problem is that 4K signals can be up to 18Gbps in bandwidth, and many cables, adapters or extenders won't support that throughput in actual use, especially at distances of 10+ feet.

16. mongo

mongo Senior Member

You can buy "certified" HDMI cables from Monoprice that guarantee 4k@60Hz up to 50ft.

17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

20ft is max length Monoprice has for the certified by HDMI.org.

18. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

I want to bypass the soundcard in my laptop and use the Oppo as a DAC instead, and then connect the Oppo stereo analog outs to my receiver. Then also use HDMI out from the Oppo to my TV for a video signal.

19. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Call BJC to discuss and then place an order if you feel ok about it. I use a long run of their 23.5 gauge from my projector in back of room to AV processor in the front of the room. Mine carries HD multi channel audio only though (no video is sent for my set-up). Never had a problem. Wanted to avoid the "active" cables!

20. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I watched all 4 hours and 40 minutes of the Gods And Generals Extended BD last night without a freeze.

21. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Wouldn't you be better off utilising the OPPO's asynchronous USB "DAC direct" input (if possible) instead of using HDMI?

22. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

Getting a bit OT, but all this talk about the more demanding bandwidth needs and associated shorter runs needed for 4k video just scared me off a couple more years with respect to adopting UHD. This can't be good for front projection setups that generally require a lengthy HDMI run. I remember starting out with a 60+ ft run of component cables before DVI, then moving my video sources to my side wall a few years later to cut the distance in half when DVI came around. I was thereafter able to use HDMI at that same distance, but a newer proj was more finicky with respect to which BD player would work with it; the cable length did play a signficant role in this.

That said, I'll still try to keep up with these Oppo UDP player threads o_O.

Doug

23. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

HDMI is certainly a concern, but early 4K projectors also aren't equipped to handle HDR. I'd recommend a 1080P reference JVC (RS line) to those looking for improved image quality rather than going for more pixels just to have more pixels. Currently, owners are converting HDR to SDR, but enjoy the other UHD benefits. You could put every acronym there is on a 65" OLED display and I'd still take my front projector by a long, long, long shot!

24. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

I wasn't aware that there is an asynchronous USB input on the UDP-203. Why would that be better than HDMI?

25. mongo

mongo Senior Member

I'm taking Monoprice at their word plus friends that have the Cabernet Cables and have used them with 4K content, players & projectors.
    I've viewed the above systems with the Cabernet cables.
    No issues.
    From the Monoprice site:
    "Cabernet Ultra CL2 Active High Speed HDMI® Cable
    Rated for 18Gbps for lengths up to 50 feet, these cables are certified to accurately transmit all of the features supported in the latest HDMI specification".

I've got 2 45 footers so I'm hoping this holds true or my money back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.