Woody Allen: Film by Film Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RayS, Aug 29, 2015.

1. I haven't watched it yet so interesting to hear this. I look forward to sampling it and finding out if the reciew is harsh or on target.

2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower Thread Starter

I had my second viewing of "Cafe Society" last night. As usual for me with Woody movies, I like it a bit more the second time around. Even watching it on my TV vs. a theater screen, I was once again amazed at just how beautiful the film looks. Just drenched in that gorgeous golden amber light.

I'm not usually in the habit of playing arm chair editor, but in this case I can't help myself. Two sequences/subplots just stick out, and I think their deletion would have really helped the film. The "hooker" scene isn't a bit funny and is just uncomfortable all around - for the audience and the actors. And the scenes concerning the conversion of big brother Ben to Catholicism just seem to be imported from a different movie (and in this case, we even know WHICH movie, don't we Hannah fans?) I would also have happily done without the gratuitous violence played for comedy in the numerous bump-off scenes.

On the positive side, I have to say that the culmination of the Bobby-Vonnie story line actually pays off very nicely. There is just a tinge of "Casablanca" vibe there, and a very nicely underplayed wistfulness (which I think I missed the first time around because I was distracted by the Ben subplot disrupting the film).

So second time around, this was a better film for me, and one I'd certainly consider a very worthwhile effort.

tonyc and Pete Puma like this.
  3. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

Isn't the tragic conversion of a Jew to Christianity very common in jewish humour? So that really had to happen to Ben's parents. Like in that famous joke where the rabbi talks to God: What a tragedy, my son converted to christianity! And God says: Calm down, the same thing happened to me! And the rabbi: What shall I do now? And God says: Do like I did, make a new testament!

The scene in the movie is a like a classic joke, when the mother says: I don't know which is worse, the death sentence or the conversion!

4. RayS

I think the topic is a rich comedic vein to mine (and Woody mined it brilliantly in "Hannah and Her Sisters"). But in "Cafe Society" it comes more or less out of nowhere, and derails the primary romantic plot for a few minutes, then disappears (as Ben disappears). I can see Woody thinking it was an appropriate place for some comic relief, and he's riffing on some of his favorite topics. But, for me, it all sticks out - like it's been imported from another movie.

Fastnbulbous likes this.
  5. George P

George P Notable Member

The argument, along these lines, in a Curb Your Enthusiasm episode, is hilarious!

6. RayS

For anyone interested, "Cafe Society" is currently in "Included With Prime" status on Amazon Prime Video.

7. George P

George P Notable Member

Meaning, free to watch if you have Prime?

8. RayS

Yes sir.

George P likes this.
  9. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks. Now I just need to figure out how to watch it on my TV, through my Blu-ray player.

10. RayS

I wouldn't be of much help. I still haven't been able to figure out how to use my Exec-u-ciser.

izgoblin, George P and mrjinks like this.
  11. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Bananas would be an excellent call to re release in January

mrjinks and Beaneydave like this.
  12. RayS

I would only re-buy "Bananas" if it came with a full commentary track by the official interpreter.

Rfreeman and mrjinks like this.
  13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Ever check out the in character commentary tracks on the Spinal Tap DVD? Really as good as the film itself.

(Proud owner of a DVD copy with in character autographs by the 3 principals)

mrjinks likes this.
  14. RayS

I have. Those three gentlemen, and Rob Reiner, are brilliantly funny guys, even off the cuff.

Rfreeman likes this.
  15. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Time capsule - rewind 47 years and enjoy...
    :-popcorn:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    Mr. E. Tramp, IronWaffle and RayS like this.
  16. RayS

That was a pleasant surprise, thanks for the link.

mrjinks likes this.
  17. mrjinks

HEY NOW,
    Let's keep the vintage clips rolling!
    Aside from an annoying watermark (occasionally present), here's a Tonight Show with Woody hosting, and Bob Hope as first guest. The ads (especially Hank's Ed's) are a riot, too...

Archtop, Fastnbulbous and RayS like this.
  18. mrjinks

Wow, James Coco really seemed to make Woody uncomfortable in that segment!

RayS likes this.
  19. RayS

Great find. Woody in the presence of Bob vaguely reminds me of Paul Simon seeing Mickey Mantle on "The Dick Cavett Show". Everything he's said about worshiping him is clearly true.

Now I'm going out to get me some aluminum foil to wrap my bumper.

Pete Puma and mrjinks like this.
  20. RayS

The next film has a name - "Wonder Wheel".

Named after a ride at Coney Island.

[​IMG]

johnaltman and mrjinks like this.
  21. mrjinks

22. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Is Crises In Six Scenes likely to get a DVD or BD releases? What normally happen with these exclusive Amazon series in regard to physical release?

23. johnaltman

johnaltman Forum Resident

24. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Could you see the results on that page? :shrug:

25. johnaltman

johnaltman Forum Resident

no, I guess they're not done yet?