Oppo's Facebook page announces UHD 4K player: UDP-203*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by IAMBLEST, Jun 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

There isn't an asynchronous USB input on the UDP-203. I would guess the 205 will have one as the 105/105D does.

2. mongo

mongo Senior Member

I guess I don't understand why HDMI & USB connections would have any relevance to each other :confused:

3. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

My mistake.............For some reason I assumed you already had an OPPO 105D!!!..........Don't know where I got that from..:confused: :laugh:

Anyway.......WRT the USB type B Asynchronous DAC input on the rear panel...........

"USB Asynchronous DAC –
    By bypassing the low fidelity, poor quality DAC of traditional computer soundcards, the BDP-105D turns any computer into a high performing multi-media source by converting digital audio to analog through the ESS Sabre32 Reference DAC. The BDP-105D supports DSD audio in standard rate (DSD64) or double rate (DSD128 or DSD 2x) via its new USB DAC input.

OPPO says:

The USB DAC fully supports the USB Audio 2.0 standard and can operate in asynchronous clock mode. It can take 16 and 24-bit stereo audio with sample rates of 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz and 192kHz.

When connected to a computer, the BDP-105 becomes a "sound card" or audio output device for the computer. Users can use their familiar audio library and playback software to stream music to their home theater or sound system.

The asynchronous clock mode ensures that the highly accurate and stable clock inside the BDP-105 drives audio data to the digital-to-analog converter so the time domain accuracy is not affected by the jitter performance of the computer's master clock or bus clock. The ESS Sabre32 Reference DAC and the excellent analog audio section are utilized to convert the digital audio data to analog audio signal with the highest accuracy and lowest distortion.

Essentially, the BDP-105 becomes a high end DAC for the PC.

See above.......just another audio connection option for a PC soundcard.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  4. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Maybe I'm ignorant but I've never considered or heard of using HDMI as a high quality or Hi-Res connection in computer audio.
    I'm open to being corrected as always but it probably doesn't matter in any event.

5. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Many people use hdmi to send multichannel audio pcm to various sources including Oppo players and processors/recievers. Full resolution and multichannel.

6. Hymie the Robot

Monoprice has an excellent return policy, so nothing to lose. They aren't expensive and neither are cat 6 cables. They use two ethernet cables to send the data of one hdmi cable. On paper it looks like it would work. I use them on a fifty foot run for standard hi def, no 4k yet for me.

7. Hymie the Robot

USB is limited to 2 channel only on the Oppo which sucks...

8. Hymie the Robot

They are PC audio outputs. But in this case, one person asks about lengthy hdmi cables to send audio from his pc to the new Oppo. Another poster responds with a long post about USB dacs which this new player doesn't even support. Go figure...

9. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Just a simple error by me regarding what equipment I thought that poster had.........no need to make yourself look clever and me look foolish. :rolleyes:

I won't bother going into the details...........lets just move on.........:agree: :wave:

and this from a Member who's Avatar I "liked" just yesterday!!!..... :laugh:

10. Hymie the Robot

Sorry. You didn't look foolish obviously with your informative post, just a bit off topic. No big deal. I am still looking for some hands on discussion of the hdmi inputs from a pc, multichannel pcm, on this new player. Wish they would release a dac with multichannel outs and multichannel usb support.

Linger63 and Robert van Diggele like this.
  11. Hymie the Robot

I just did a search for "stuttering" on this thread and only came up with your two posts. Where are the 24+ people/posts you are referring to with the problems on standard 1080p playback?

12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

AVS forum has more active threads with the many users reporting the issue. Do you have a 203?

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

What kind of hands on specifics are you interested in?

14. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

The UDP-203 uses an AK4458VN digital to analog converter, manufactured by Asahi Kasei Microdevices.

AK4458VN | Product | AKM - Asahi Kasei Microdevices »
    http://www.akm.com/akm/en/file/datasheet/AK4458VN.pdf

The only thing referencing jitter is this statement in the datasheet: "High Tolerance to Clock Jitter". Pretty much a meaningless statement. But since it is a 768kHz/32-bit DAC, would it be safe to assume that jitter would be negligible streaming 44.1 kHz PCM over HDMI from my laptop to the Oppo?

15. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Sam, does everybody have the same firmware? I played the Underworld UHD-BD this morning without a hiccup. That's 3 discs in a row without a freeze.

16. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

Any compelling reason to replace my Oppo 93 with a 203? I use it primarily for music playback from audio CDs and multi-channel DVD-A, SACD, SACD-R and Blu-Ray via the analog outs. My receiver (used for audio only) predates HDMI and the accompanying plasma TV displays up to 1080p.
    Does the 203 poll Gracenote or a similar database for disc info? Thanks.

17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Everyone should be on the same firmware, except testers.

Yes, the 203 pulls from Gracenote. I think the analog sound quality of the 203 is a step up from the 93/103.

SteelyTom and ti-triodes like this.
  18. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

4 months ago, had installed for me is the OPPO Blu Ray disc player BDP-103......Beautiful unit......can't speak highly enough about it...had never heard of OPPO until my sound engineer told me about it...fantastic advice...use it every day.

19. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Holy belated Christmas present Batman!

The wife just gave me a 203. Now I know what that smirk on her face on Xmas was all about. This girl is a keeper. :pineapple:

20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Awesome! She is definitely a keeper :). Enjoy and let us know what you think of the 203.

ti-triodes and Mike Campbell like this.
  21. Hymie the Robot

Basic dac stuff...how it compares to cheap receiver around this price point. Comparisons to previous models including the 105d. Stuff not involving disc playback.

22. Hymie the Robot

People love to complain here, surprised all the issues are being reported over there. I will take your word for it. My internet is too slow to hang on AVS...

23. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

My 203 arrived Saturday; it came with a firmware disc in the box. I loaded up the disc, did the update, and was off to the races. I tried playing a movie and got the backing track, but no dialogue - that was an unpleasant surprise. I was a little nervous until I started reading the manual (which turned out being a full sized book - a pleasant discovery in the age of online documentation). I only listen in stereo, so I had to go through setup and change from 7.1 to 2 channel for dvd/blu-ray playback. So far no glitches playing dvds/dvd-rs/blu-rays/sacds/cds/cd-rs. Audio playback so far sounds like an improvement over the Denon universal player the Oppo replaced - it's more natural sounding to my ears.

SamS and DonnyMe like this.
  24. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Which Denon universal were you using?

25. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

DBP-1611UD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.