Old Polydor CD "Strange Brew-The Very Best Of Cream" mastered by Dennis Drake. Best sound, cheap!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 25, 2016.

1. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Strange Brew....doesn't include Strange Brew ? Course it does.

2. culabula

culabula Unread author.

A copy of the West German Polydor just came in my door. Bassed (sic) on what I read here I have every reason to believe it is the correct mastering. However, according to my PS3 it clocks in at 43'47.

3. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

The policy at Discogs is (or at least used to be) to reproduce the song titles as they appear on the packaging, even if they're completely incorrect, and put any necessary explanation into the notes.

Gardo and George P like this.
  4. George P

George P Notable Member

A wise policy.

Gardo likes this.
  5. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

It would be great if UMD (who now owns Polydor) would put this back in print as a bargain CD in its Icon line like they did with Bob Segers Greatest Hits, but with the same exact Drake mastering of course.
    Or even better, just a strait reissue/repressing of the original cd release.
    This puppy would sell, believe me!

driverdrummer likes this.
  6. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I swear I had never seen nor heard of this CD before, and then sure enough 1 day after reading this thread I see it in the “new arrivals” used CD bin. I didn’t really need a best of Cream CD, but I gave it a whirl and it is a real nice sounding CD indeed.

GerryO and Jason Pumphrey like this.
  7. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

It will become a favorite in your cd collection!

8. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I love the variations in price you get on some used CDs at Amazon. The Cream CD is going for anywhere from $1 to almost $200. I find the description of the one going for $198.04 - in "acceptable" condition, no less - highly entertaining:

Eligible for *FREE* super saver shipping. Amazon customer service
    with delivery tracking. The CD or DVD plays perfectly but is otherwise
    the worse for wear. The jewel case may be damaged. The cover art, liner
    notes or inclusions may be marked, or one or all of these items may be missing.

I can understand $199 or even $198.99. But $198.04? What the marketing theory? Is there something at play here that an MBA gets that I don't?

Personally, I was going to pass, but I couldn't resist the free shipping and Amazon customer service. Gee, I sure hope that at least the CD is included!

Dave likes this.
  9. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I will say I've built quite the collection of CDs by using the Amazon partner links. I've found incredible original Japan, UK, US CDs anywhere from $0.97 to $10 a CD. I've saved a lot of money from ordering CDs from overseas in used condition, and in most cases they turn up in amazing shape.

pdenny and GerryO like this.
  10. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Love the photo, but geez, Steve, you keep making fun of my Altecs! :)

Tracked down a MADE IN USA 43:54 Very Best of Cream and listening to it now. Certainly can hear a big difference between "Born Under A Bad Sign" and "Politician." The latter sounds much fuller. The CD in general was well worth the 7 bucks shipped. Thanks for the tip!

11. Whistle

Whistle Forum Resident

Peak levels please for the 06 matrix ?

12. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Hi,

If may have been answered indirectly

Steve's disc is a US PDO with 01 matrix. Sonic Zone has 2 US PDO's with an 04 matrix which means they came later. The two that Sonic Zone has matching levels with the WG for US [with 01 and 03 matrix]

Of course the only way to prove conclusively is to have the evidence from the same matrix-ed disc as Steve's. So far the only discs with different values have been for the Canada or Australia markets.

SonicZone likes this.
  13. Whistle

Whistle Forum Resident

Thanks ricks.

14. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I've come to love the artwork, with that "colourised"(?) front photo. Very appropriate for a band from the psychedelic era; the only thing better might've been a Martin Sharp illustration.

15. Great sounding CD!

"Badge" seems to have some extra 'Dennis Drake reverb' on this CD, as well as on his mastering of "Goodbye" on CD. It's most noticeable in the intro. It sounds similar to the effect that was applied to the West German Atomic CD of Rod Stewart's "Every Picture Tells a Story." The intro also has much less hiss here than in the following examples:

Compare the intro here to the drier-sounding intro on the CDs "Backtrackin'", "The Cream Of Eric Clapton", "The Cream Of Clapton", "Complete Clapton", or the "Those Were The Days" box set.

The version on the "Crossroads" box set is a different transfer than any of the above, with a much different [inferior IMO] sounding EQ.

Side note: "Badge" on "The Cream Of Clapton" and "Those Were The Days" box set has the crackling in the bridge (around 1:09) 'cleaned up', while the other sources listed above do not.

SonicZone, colormesinatra and ricks like this.
  16. Dennis Drake

Dennis Drake New Member

Thanks for the kind words Steve! You are correct-I used no limiting or compression in order to preserve the full dynamic range of those masters. My chain at the time was probably an ATR-100 fed with custom Cello tape electronics and a touch of Pultec or Lang EQ where needed. The importance of finding the original master cannot be overstated. The integrity of the transients and the lower hiss level really make a difference in the sound. Happy New Year !

17. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Hey, great to see and hear from you on this forum. I have (and love) a lot of stuff you've mastered.
    And welcome to this place.

Gardo, Dave, George P and 1 other person like this.
  18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Happy New Year, Dennis!

Gardo, Imagine70 and bhazen like this.
  19. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Thank you, Mr. Drake, for your fantastic work. I was just listening to the Elton John/Bernie Taupin compilation that you mastered for Polygram in 1990 - another favorite of mine. Happy New Year!

Gardo and jjm905 like this.
  20. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I gotta get a copy of this again. I loved it and played it constantly.. Sold it when I started collecting their albums but I love the sound and the tracklisting/flow.

Thanks Dennis!

21. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

So great to see you on this forum Mr Drake - I'm a big fan of your work. Happy New Year! :)

Gardo likes this.
  22. I have this compilation too and I love it! Thanks for using the longer version of "Sixty Years On" on it!

jamesmaya likes this.
  23. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Anyone For Tennis will forever have a LSD fueled memory of " elephants dancing on the graves of squealing mice".

24. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Welcome Dennis Drake and Happy New Year . One of my favorites is your remastering of Roy Buchanan's Livestock. How I wish we could get a deluxe edition of that classic recording!!

Gardo likes this.
  25. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

After 8 days, I've finally got my copy.
    Struck by hearing the very first thing I ever learned here...I had to turn it up ! :laugh:
    Loving the sound of Jack's " lead bass," too.

@Dennis Drake - Welcome Sir ! Thank you for all your work on The Allman Brothers Band especially !!!!!

Gardo and Sneaky Pete like this.