Possible Beatles US Vinyl box set on the way?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by raq0915, Jan 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident Thread Starter

So a few months back, Capitol announced a list of albums that they were "reissuing" in honor of their 75th anniversary. Some of these albums had already been reissued, and in fact, were not new pressings at all. In the case of the Beatles, instead of recreating the US versions, they just used the already existing 2009 stereo reissues (minus Sgt. Pepper as they used the mono mix) and didnt even put any indication that it was part of this "program". Bummer :/

HOWEVER there were a few interesting albums that were part of their list: Meet the Beatles and All Things Must Pass. After its been pretty much confirmed that George Harrisons discography is being reissued on vinyl, this made sense that Capitol would put it on their list. However, there are no recent vinyl reissues of the Beatles US albums. Maybe Apple Corps is working on a box set with Capitol? It seems odd that no information whatsoever has come out about this Meet the Beatles reissue, and it would make sense that maybe a box set is in the works, hence why they are keeping quiet about it. What do you guys think?

andrewskyDE likes this.
  2. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

it would be nice , but if the are issuing the trainwreck the 2014 cd box set was count me out. if you're not going to use the authentic Capitol masters then what's the point?

3. raq0915

I agree completely. Thats why I won't buy those new CDs.

emitex and ohnothimagen like this.
  4. colgems1966

me neither and frankly I don't need them. I have good original Capitol copies in mono and stereo......done right I would probably buy to save my originals wear and tear.

5. raq0915

I refuse to buy used albums online, meaning I have to track albums down in stores, and I can never find perfect copies of the US albums. I would love to have a set like this, but again, provided they do it right and use the original US mixes

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  6. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Was thinking the same thing. I guess if they are cheap enough I could just buy a few for the minty new jacket and swap them out.

Sounds silly, but I have a few US albums where the LP plays fine but the jacket has seen better days.

7. raq0915

I need a combo of nice LPs and nice jackets. If they sell the albums individually, and they go for about $25, Ill buy most of them for sure

8. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Have not seen any of the Capitol 75th anniversary issues anywhere for sale? There was supposed to be a new issue of "Ringo" as well. Maybe the lack of information has more to do with poor handling on Capitols part then any evidence of a forthcoming box set, although I am surprised that a U.S. vinyl box dosen't exist already.

raq0915 likes this.
  9. colgems1966

I see this too. Last night I saw a minty rainbow Help! mono.....the jacket was dirty, written on had split seams. I passed at $10.50

Gaslight likes this.
  10. raq0915

Yes and no. They are releasing some of the albums veryyyyy slowly. And yes, they have kept extremely quiet about it too. The last time they talked about the program was when they announced it, and also to promote the book. Heres the link to the albums that have been released: 75th Anniversary »

HOWEVER please beware!!! I can't speak for all the albums, but all of the Beatles albums they have released are not actually new reissues, they are just the 2009 stereo reissues with no new packaging or anything, which leads me to believe all of them are like this

11. colgems1966

I wish this would come to fruition. There is most definitely a market for the U.S. pressings.........the Beatles sell, there's no risk there. Why not do it historically correct? If you're trading on history/nostalgia you kinda owe the public that much.

12. colgems1966

BTW...... I'd most definitely be up for some high quality VeeJay Beatles reissues.......now that would be something. I'd buy them all even though it's the same songs over and over.

Klassik, forthlin and andrewskyDE like this.
  13. raq0915

My guess is that they thought it would be both better and easier to dump the duophonic stereo mixes for true stereo, thinking it would please fans, but it backfired.

14. colgems1966

give me the Duophonic!

15. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I have the CD box from a couple of years back; it's good for what it would be criminal if any re-issued counterparts didn't use the original Capitol versions. I'll probably buy them either way but using the '09 remasters would be a disappointment.

16. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Well it would be the Beatles item for this year unless they forget that Sgt. Pepper turns 50 until two days before it's anniversary and the only thing they do to commemorate it is do a hashtag trend on Twitter and retweet people showing off their 2009 Stereo Remaster copies of the album.

If a reissue does happen, they better stick to the U.S. mixes. There will be no point in purchasing unless you can't stand to hear "Hold Me Tight" right after "Roll Over Beethoven".

andrewskyDE and DK Pete like this.
  17. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Raq0915~
    Actually, you still can obtain completely original Beatles Mono & Stereo copies in NM condition.
    They are available on eBay nearly weekly. They are NOT cheap... but they do exist.
    There is only a few dealers that I would ever buy from when looking for them.
    I have found many, filled holes and have been very satisfied. This is not for the faint of heart...
    the prices are dead serious, and many people are willing to bid and pay.
    There are a few of the most respected sellers/authors listing continually.

18. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Maybe they could put out some random butcher covers!

19. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

For stereo there are purple and sometimes orange label reissues from the 1970s that can be pretty easily had for $20 or less in great condition. Look for "Mastered by Capitol" in the dead wax, with "Wally" or "Jay" scribbled nearby. These tend to sound really good within the parameters of what Capitol did with (to?) the Beatles catalog.

ArpMoog likes this.
  20. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

They will, because that also keeps the cd set collectable by not usurping it. There are a lot of people who like what they did on the U.S. Albums box.
    And I haven't even opened mine yet. I'm waiting for them to age a few more years!
    The beave

21. colgems1966

I do not for one minute believe Capitol gives a sh!t about collectors unless there is some way they can make money on it.

22. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Wrong wording...what I meant was doing it the right way they keep the salability of the cd box version. Plus they get more revenue from the vinyl box-one doesn't stomp on the others feet
    The beave

23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

If an US Albums box will be announced, including individual releases, I'm in. Especially for The Beatles' Second Album and Yesterday And Today.
    Though I doubt the VeeJay album Introducing The Beatles would be part of it.

Apple should reuse/restore the Capitol tapes they used for the The Capitol Albums Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 sets back in 2004.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  24. colgems1966

...........I'm sure it wouldn't be, but I would still love to see high quality VeeJay replicas. I've got a few originals but obviously I'm missing the majority especially the rare stuff like Jolly What!

andrewskyDE likes this.
  25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Don't get me wrong, I'm interested in a reissue of the VeeJay LP as well!
    But only for Introducing The Beatles, the other VeeJay releases had the same material... Actually the interview disc Hear The Beatles Tell All! could be another great thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.