EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Love Me Do" strikes me as totally, completely, wholly... okay.

It's a song I think would be forgotten today if it'd been from some other band.

Enjoyable but not 1/10th as good as "Please Please Me" - that was the first song that really showed what the Fabs could do...

2. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I think so too...it does sound pretty new and different for 1962, so I can see why it got some attention in Britain on its release. But if they had continued in that vein (as most groups of that era did if they got a hit), they never would have made it big.

3. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Didn't know that tune, but hearing it float about my apartment from the 'puter just now, I could almost hear Elvis' FIRST IN LINE.

JonnyKidd and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  4. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I like the first version all right (can't tell what version the vid was 'cause I can't play it), well, I guess I like both all right, but just all right. It's one of the first tunes Lennon and McCartney ever wrote together and it sounds it. But, it's a part of the 'canon' so it can't be left out...

JonnyKidd likes this.
  5. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

This is not a bad song. It's not "A Day In The Life" but for a first song, it's pretty catchy. I agree that much better stuff was on the way, but this coupled with "PS I Love You" was a fine 45.

JonnyKidd likes this.
  6. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

"Love Me Do" is rather simple but it has a great arrangement.

JonnyKidd likes this.
  7. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Next we have "Chapel Of Love" by the Dixie Cups, #1 from June 6 - June 26, 1964.

8. alphanguy

Although they are considered somewhat of a one hit wonder, they went to number 12 with "People Say", and # 20 with "Iko Iko". This is a gorup that I think their biggest hit is not as good as their other single releases. I see the appeal of Chapel of Love, though... and it IS a good song, well produced. I just like their other songs better. I mean, how cool is it to turn the Alphabet song into a pop record?

9. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

The first hit (and as such, the first No. 1 hit) on Red Bird Records, the label founded by Jerry Lieber, Mike Stoller and George Goldner. It was also the first No. 1 hit on the Hot 100 for writers Jeff Barry and Ellie Greenwich (their previous best was No. 2 for "Be Me Baby"). I love it.

10. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

Most great rock & roll songs are "rather simple." You say that as if it's a liability

bluejeanbaby, JoeRockhead and sgb like this.
  11. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

It's as easy as 1-2-3 :)

Personally I wouldn't listen to that one (ABC), but I like Iko Iko, - have it on a movie soundtrack cd - The Rainman.[/QUOTE]

JonnyKidd likes this.
  12. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

"Chapel of Love" is one of those songs I loved as a kid, but that haven't aged all that well in my view. I do still love Bette Midler's version, though. I love the Dixie Cups' "Iko Iko", too (which they reportedly believed was a traditional New Orleans song; it was really written in the early fifties and I think the composer is still alive?).

JonnyKidd likes this.
  13. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

I always liked the DC's teen-pop "Iko Iko", but Dr. John's funky take is great.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  14. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

The Dixie Cups were the only American group to hold down the #1 spot in the first half of '64. A throwback to the girl pop of the earlier 60s, it was an instant classic that still gets referenced due to it's universal subject matter. The kids loved it and the parents weren't put off by all that noisy rock & roll. In fact, a quick glance at the upper reaches of the chart of this period shows older, more traditional pop songs like Love Me With All Your Heart, Hello Dolly and People were still quite popular and would jockey with the new kids for months to come.

15. sgb

sgb Senior Member

The one station we had here in Baton Rouge that went from Oldies to "Classic Rock from the 70s to the 90s" has suddenly become a Clear Channel news-talk station as of January 1. I suppose this was done so that the station could earn some commercial revenues; it was formerly music only with nothing but station IDs.

16. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

I thought this was pre-British Invasion. Nice song, timeless theme.

JcS

SuprChickn77 likes this.
  17. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I have been fortunate enough to see a rather large collection of New Orleans based music acts at one or another of the former New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Society Festivals, and the Dixie Cups were among them (along with Fats, Frankie Ford et al). Love the song, as much as I love the music of Louisiana.

18. pickwick33

Is your screenname (SGB) a reference to the Eddie Bo song of the same name?

19. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

"Love Me Do" is kind of a dirge and a slight one at that, but really memorable. Sort of an unusual earworm. Can't imagine it going to #1 in the absence of Beatlemania, but then stranger songs had hit the top in just the previous year, so who knows...

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, me too - "Chapel of Love" sounds more 1962 to me than 1964.

Pleasant tune but not one that's aged all that well...

JonnyKidd and sunspot42 like this.
  21. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

I think it was a very forward sounding track back in the day -- the unusual harmonies, the mouth organ and the mechanical rythm that sounds like a drum machine.

It's not a great composition but it is a good record. I always found "Love Me Do" and "Please Please Me" singles as sounding as if they had been recorded 4-5 years later than (most of) the rest of the "Please Please Me" stuff.

22. pickwick33

The post-doowop era wasn't over yet in 1964. There were still a few holdouts. I don't think that sound started disappearing until '65.

23. pickwick33

I think that's why the Beatles hit as hard as they did - bare-bones rock & roll was returning to the charts. After two or three years of teen-idol pop, something like "Love Me Do" must have been a welcome return to basics.

bluejeanbaby and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  24. alphanguy

Yes, quite a few did hold out, and even into the next year, when you had things like this:

sgb likes this.
  25. John54

John54 Senior Member

I like Chapel of Love. It has a lot of nostalgia value for me now.

SITKOL'76 and sgb like this.