The Doors' Robby Krieger Talks 50th Anniversary Plans, Re-Releases & Newly Unearthed Recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Sep 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Because the Matrix tapes are just a selection of the recording. A recording fans already bought under false advertising claims. Then they made a big deal out of acquiring the real masters and how they were going to be mastered by Steve and then everything went silent for years. Now, here's how they are being released. At worst, very incomplete. At best, piece by piece over a number of releases. That's not a way to present a live concert. We're not saying they should've released the mono + Matrix as a 2CD. They should've left the Matrix stuff off and released it as a standalone complete Matrix release, which I believe would be 4 discs. The debut deluxe should've been the stereo + mono + whatever studio extras they have.

Just making the cover smaller and adding a black border isn't alternate. It's just smaller. I hate the whole shrinking down and adding a black border, which seems pretty popular these days. It's pointless and only serves to lessen the artwork.

Six Bachelors, bluesbro and Shawn like this.
  2. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Good Points. I'm guessing the powers that be think that remastered multi sets featuring the original albums with bonus stuff will sell better than a stand-alone 3/4 CD set of live recordings, even with regards to legendary stuff like the Matrix Tapes. Of course it was totally disingenuous to sell the Matrix Tapes knowing that they were inferior-sounding. No excuse there.

As far as studio leftovers from the debut album... is there anything left? Most of the early, previously unreleased material has seen release on prior sets, so they may have felt including a bonus album of Matrix masters would sell better than a bonus CD of previously released outtakes. Again, I'm not an authority, so I'm not sure what's left in the vaults from this era. Ron

3. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Instead of a disc of Matrix recordings, they could have included the Fog tape. Just sayin'....

Matthew Tate, Six Bachelors and Buda like this.
  4. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

There should be 2 unique studio takes of The End on this box that both contain unheard material. Seems very odd to have the multitrack of the song that was spliced together but not the excised pieces.

5. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

That makes way too much sense.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

Talking about generosity in case both titles...

7. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

According to this (The Doors Studio Dates & Info »), at minimum there should be multiple alternate takes of some of the songs.

8. SoundAdvice

Fog had to be out before 12/31/16 to keep copyright and it's not the 50th anniversary until 1/4/17. Though a small vinyl or download only release was possible.

Fullbug likes this.
  9. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

We know of the following additional material that either has been released in other locations or most likely exists - Moonlight Drive outtakes, the actual Indian Summer outtake, The End outtakes and single version of Light My Fire. There are surely additional versions in the vault, either from original multi-tracks or mixdowns.

This box would have made so much more sense if the London Fog tape was on here, it didn't include the vinyl, it didn't include the shameful Matrix disc and there was a disc of the above tracks plus whatever else they had.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Or they're figuring they can add in a disc of the material to a few deluxes but not include all the tracks. Then release a standalone 4CD set later. The VU did something similar by putting 2 CDs of Matrix tapes into a larger set and then a year later, they released a complete 4CD set. Of course, they didn't have the history of pulling what The Doors did with their first release of the material. So this would've been a real good time for The Doors to just make good with these tapes, instead of more funniness.

I really don't know. As others have said, they should have the two takes of The End. Including those would've made it a must buy for me. Also, I can't believe they don't have other alternate takes or mixes from these sessions.

Without their history with the Matrix recordings, the situation would've been very different. Frustrating, but not offensive. As-is, they are doubling down on the dirty move they already pulled.

11. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

There's no reason that they couldn't have pushed the 50th Anniversary debut set up a couple of months to fall within that 2016 window. Then they could have done this:

Disc 1 - stereo slbum
    Disc 2 - mono album
    Disc 3 - London Fog

Relatively light, admittedly, but with a list price of about 20 bucks and the Doors organization could have seen a better return on the purchase of the Fog tapes than what there probably seeing with the current Fog set.

12. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Source: The Doors Get 3CD/1LP 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition Of 1967 Debut »

THE DOORS: 50TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION

CD1: (Original Stereo Mix)

01 – Break On Through (To The Other Side)
    02 – Soul Kitchen
    03 – The Crystal Ship
    04 – Twentieth Century Fox
    05 – Alabama Song (Whisky Bar)
    06 – Light My Fire
    07 – Back Door Man
    08 – I Looked At You
    09 – End Of The Night
    10 – Take It As It Comes
    11 – The End

CD2: (Original Mono Mix)

02 – Soul Kitchen
    03 – The Crystal Ship
    06 – Light My Fire
    07 – Back Door Man
    08 – I Looked At You
    09 – End Of The Night
    10 – Take It As It Comes
    11 – The End

CD3: Live At The Matrix, March 7, 1967

02 – Soul Kitchen
    03 – The Crystal Ship
    06 – Light My Fire
    07 – Back Door Man
    08 – The End

LP: (Original Mono Mix)
    Side 1
    02 – Soul Kitchen
    03 – The Crystal Ship
    06 – Light My Fire

Side 2
    07 – Back Door Man
    08 – I Looked At You
    09 – End Of The Night
    10 – Take It As It Comes
    11 – The End

Platterpus and Vinyl Socks like this.
  13. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I probably would've bought that. No chance I'm buying The Fog bloated set or the Deluxe Debut set.

14. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Interesting....may have to get this. I have the stereo LP but not mono

15. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I don't mind alternate artwork being included as part of the package, but I think the original cover should always be used.

I own two versions of The Dark Side of The Moon - the 2003 SACD and 2011 Immersion box. What frustrates me is that neither use the original cover, so despite owning two copies of the same album I still don't own a copy with the original artwork.

Although I own the 2009 stereo and mono remasters, I hope any future Pepper reissue maintains the original artwork.

Anyway, back to The Doors.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  16. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

This, please.

Double this.

17. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

18. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

19. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Listening to the exquisite AP Analog 45 rpm pressing of the S/T debut right now.
    Earlier, it was the Rhino Mono reissue.
    The DCC Gold CD, and the album in 5.1 via the Perception DVD-A still to come.

I looked into this upcoming re-re-re-release last night, and decided I would enjoy my 4 copies today.

Soundslave likes this.
  20. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Why didn't I think of that!! Like the Beatles USB apple.

A Doors USB drive loaded with 96/24 files onto a flash drive shaped like a lighter, that'll work :D

21. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  22. SoundAdvice

First time they played together publicly since Storytellers 15 years ago?

23. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

They played together at a Ray tribute concert.

Soundslave likes this.
  24. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

[​IMG]

ToneLa and Hamhead like this.
  25. SoundAdvice

If they the 2013 Ray gig, storytellers and RRHOF were all "private" gigs then this week may be have been the first "public" time they played together since.....1972?

There must have been a cameo at some solo show somewhere in the past 45 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.