Wailers Catch a Fire Jamaican Versions Vinyl release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nmesen, Jan 5, 2017.

1. nmesen

nmesen Forum Resident Thread Starter

Dang, I missed the mention of the Wailers - Catch a Fire Jamaican version vinyl release on another thread. I had been hoping this would get released someday but didn't think it would. Hoping it will come back in stock soon.

Any reviews on the sound quality/packaging? Wondering if its worth the current high price from resellers.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  2. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Just want to advise that per a recent post over in the Crucial Reggae thread, the mixes were actually done in 2001 by Errol Brown. I don't have it, so can't vouch for quality of sound or packaging, but just giving an FYI in case you were assuming these were unreleased mixes from the original recording sessions. That may or may not affect how much you're willing to pay.

3. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I think the pressing quality is discussed on the other thread, I don't have it, I'll wait for a European release, but would mention that the last "Japanese" Universal vinyl LPs I purchased were all pressed in Europe and not the Japanese vinyl of old, I assume this is also pressed in Europe.

Naughty Chord likes this.
  4. nmesen

Thanks for the info. I do know the history as I have the legacy 2cd (and love it).
    If a European release is coming I will just wait for that.

5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I've no knowledge of a European or US version, but would say that the odds are now in favour of it, I just wish they'd done an LP version when the deluxe CD came out.

6. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Just to avoid confusion, this is a vinyl release of the 1st CD of the Catch A Fire Deluxe Edition (for which those mixes were done), so they are those same mixes of the "Unreleased Original Jamaican Versions".

uzn007, SinnerSaint and dee like this.
  7. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

The packaging is nice, although it's just a near replica of the Zippo, with all the impracticality that brings... there's nothing else, except a wraparound OBI with lyrics... No notes of any kind, not one word... Record is just in an anti-static inner, crudely folded round LP to fit in... (it would have probably made some sense not to bother replicating the opening Zippo, and just print the design on a regular sleeve... I would been happy with that.)

The labels are pink-rim Island and look great.

These are not sealed, just in a plastic bag, so if you buy one, get the seller to remove the vinyl during shipping..there's reports on Discogs of damage in transit..The sleeve is quite over-sized which leaves a lot of room for the vinyl to move around.... mine came with just a little scuff on sleeve, so I was quite lucky (bought from HMV Japan)

Nothing to indicate where it's pressed, but l'm happy that record was clean, flat, flawless and perfectly centered ( I will have to leave others to comment on sound quality in detail)

dee and mateus like this.
  8. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Jamaican or Japanese????

9. johnnybrum

10. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

That is how the original Zippo sleeve is too. It is therefore very hard to find an original where the edges aren't bent or damaged because they have protruded when it's been stored together with other records.

johnnybrum and ralphk like this.
  11. mateus

mateus Forum Resident

I bought my copy. I'm waiting the snail postal service delivery...

To me, looks great it' pink rim labels and original sleeve design. I hope this will sound at least average because the original CD release is too loud, bad dynamic range.

Are not the mixes from 1972? Then, why the order, time length and overdubs was not included on. I think this is like it was intended to be in 1972, although mixed in 2001.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  12. nmesen

Can I ask where you found it?

13. mateus

mateus Forum Resident

Yes. I bought (more expensive) in Discogs. From $75 on!

14. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

I was lucky to snag a copy too. not had a chance to listen yet, but as mentioned by jonnybrum, the packaging is quite nice. will report back.

had to pay an extra £23 to get it through customs and Parcelforce though. damn!

15. mateus

mateus Forum Resident

What your country? I think I will pay fee to the customs as well.

16. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

UK man.

mateus likes this.
  17. johnnybrum

Same here... :realmad:

NicoRock likes this.
  18. RuffNinja

RuffNinja Forum Resident

Where did you order it from?

19. mateus

mateus Forum Resident

Discogs.

20. RuffNinja

RuffNinja Forum Resident

Lol sry, didn't see the above reply. How is the quality? Audio wise?

21. RuffNinja

RuffNinja Forum Resident

So, I just got this LP from a seller on Discogs, and the label says "Made in the E.U.". That's kinda weird for a Japanese release isn't it? I'm guessing it might get a wider release in Europe soon?

22. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

To the best of my knowledge there are no longer any Japanese pressing plants, for the last two or three years all the Japanese releases I've bought have been either pressed in Europe or the US.

dee likes this.
  23. mateus

mateus Forum Resident

I just listen to this one and the quality is super nice and the pressing is very quiet and clear. I liked it very much like I didn't expect.

It's made in europe...

24. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Really wish I had known about this. Missed out!

25. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Damn! I had no idea! I've refused to buy Catch A Fire on vinyl for all these years because of how superior this Jamaican mix is. Looks like I'm going to have to pony up...