The Mavericks new album "Brand New Day" set for release on 03/31/2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

2. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Title track sounds good.

Look forward to hearing the whole album.

melstapler likes this.
  3. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Nice session on Bob Harris Contry on BBC Radio 2 last night. Should be on iPlayer.

melstapler and The Killer like this.
  4. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I'll definitely check that out, thanks!

melstapler likes this.
  5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

My favorite band right now. Surprised they have a new album right on the heels of their live one. I hope the sound quality is better than Mono (though a great album) and the recent live album. The new track sounds interesting!

melstapler and spanky1 like this.
  6. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I completely agree, particularly concerning the sound quality of the MONO cd. How is the sound on ALL NIGHT LIVE?

7. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I am by no means an audiophile but I was not impressed with All Night Live. To my ears, it sounded like a mediocre audience recording.

Jrr likes this.
  8. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

How would you compare it to MONO, which was deservedly panned for it's poor audio quality.

9. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

This one better sound good, MONO was atrocious. I no longer own it, couldn't listen to it even in the car.

melstapler and Jrr like this.
  10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Not very good, unfortunately. I have the vinyl version, and I don't think the fault lies anywhere other than it simply wasn't recorded very well. It sounds like the mics were a bit too far away. It isn't bad, it just isn't that good for a band that sounds as good as they do live. However, the song list is good and they seemed really into it; it's still a good listen. I am a bit concerned that since they started their own label, that they don't really know the technical end of how to record very well. Up until Mono, I thought their albums sounded fantastic. They are a band that deserves to sound as good as possible imo.

melstapler and longdist01 like this.
  11. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I felt the same way and simply couldn't stand listening to it. So, I didn't, for a long time. The vinyl version was a bit late coming, but I liked the songs so much I went ahead and picked it up (and it wasn't very expensive). It's no sonic miracle, that's for sure, but it is listenable at least onn vinyl and others here came to the same conclusion. I couldn't stand to hear the digital version and couldn't agree with you more. I just don't get it. Who signed off on that? Interesting that on Amazon, there are a ton of reviews that rip the sound quality as well. Not used to seeing that on a consumer site as most people can't even tell, but they sure did on Mono. I wonder if anyone from the band is aware how people feel about it.

melstapler and Jackson like this.
  12. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I hate agreeing with you, but that is a pretty good way of putting it.

13. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

I found that very telling as well. Many Amazon buyers are listening to poor sources on poor equipment, and they still complained. That alone speaks volumes regarding it's sound quality.

I, too, worry about their sound quality. During the ninities, those MCA Mavericks cd's sounded wonderful. The last 2 cds are a dangerous trend.

melstapler, longdist01 and Jrr like this.
  14. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I saw them New Years Eve at Knuckleheads Saloon, and they didn't mention an upcoming release.

Problems have to be due to the mix for the release, the equipment they're been using to record is industry standard - a Digidesign Venue and ProTools. I was listening to the stereo feed from the board, and their live engineer was doing a perfectly fine job.

melstapler likes this.
  15. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Great news.

I love Mono, including the way it sounds.

16. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I hope the trend does not continue, i'll always respect them as musicians, but i have no respect ''or patience'' for tone deafness.

spanky1 and Jrr like this.
  17. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I was hoping you would provide some input on this issue! Thank you for doing so. I don't know if you have the album, but I have it on vinyl and as someone else said, it does sound as if the mics were way to far away from the source, which one would assume whoever set up the recording, that person did not have a lot of experience. The sound guy (I used to own a recording studio so I do know a bit about this stuff) sitting at the board really had his hands tied of the mics were not properly placed (assuming it wasn't the same guy). It isn't the worst live recording I've ever heard by a long shot (I bought a Marley live recording a couple years ago and it's probably worse) but I will say I think it sounds like a borderline bootleg, not something that was professionally recorded with a multitude of mics. I love this band, as I know you do, and they did not have sound issues with any of their albums until Mono was issued, and now with the live album it's two in a row. So, as others have said, it's a convern as they sound so amazing. It's so disappointing to know how a band should sound, and then having to live with a subpar recording. It isn't that difficult to at least provide a competent sound mix in a studio setting (granted it can be challenging in a live setting...you have the limitations of the venue and their policies, equipment foul ups in a live setting...all the things you have encountered as well as I have...I too have filmed live events). So, I give them a pass on that but Mono, quite frankly, should not have been released mastered as it was. If I didn't love The Mavericks, I wouldn't care. Here's to the hope the new album will be a return the the previous library of awesome sound, with amazing material. Thanks again for contributing...guys like me really appreciate it and I know you are close to the band.

Chris DeVoe and spanky1 like this.
  18. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yes, a few have offered support for the sound. But the overwhelming majority, even on Amazon where sound quality isn't typically on anyone's radar, is negative. The digital version is absolutely terrible...I would go as far as to say it is the worst sounding digital recording I have ever heard and I own over 3000 CD's. It was so bad I couldn't even listen to it enough to decide if the album was even any good (turns out it is my favorite overall Mavericks album). When I got the vinyl, it was an improvement, but only to the point where I could actually hear the songs in a proper fashion. So, I kinda scratch my head when I hear someone is happy with it, but I'm glad. I guess they mixed/mastered it with those types of listeners in mind, whatever that was. I know they were going for a vintage sound. I assume it was either Raul or the producer (According to an article I read but it didn't point out which member came up with the idea) who was listening to mono tracks and then decided that it would be really cool to instill that sound within their new album at the time. However, it sounds to me like whoever did it had no real experience recording and mixing in mono (I would also bet most of it was already recorded and it wasn't recorded with mono in mind) and it really does show. Mono can sound amazing....I have no issue with that. But in the 60's, engineers recorded with that thought in mind. Clearly, imo, that wasn't the case and they really should have released it in the best sound quality possible. I would be totally up for buying a properly remastered version. Anyway....not a diss on the op in any way...I'm glad some enjoy it as is.

spanky1 likes this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

I didn't get the the venue until 5 PM, and they were already set up and checked, so I didn't pay attention to how they miced the band. It was pretty typical rock setup from what I did see - close mics on everything, more concern for feedback than air. I was at the back of the venue, by the house board, switching the cameras. From the raw materials, they would have as good a chance to produce a great live recording as any similar concert. All I can assume is that Raul, while a brilliant songwriter and singer, just is not a very good producer.

20. Chris DeVoe

Since they are own their own now, they are more directly dependent on their fans. They probably don't own their last two albums, so there is no chance of a remix of Mono, but they seem pretty responsive to their fans.

Jrr and melstapler like this.
  21. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Eloquent case for the prosecution re the SQ of Mono.

I know I’m a lonely dissenter in the Internet pile-on versus this record, which defines some of my ornery refusal to go where the hi-fi consensus is telling me I gotta be. In my dreams this becomes one of those albums the future will redeem and rescue from the absolutely awful reception it got in terms of its aggressive anachronistic Wurlitzer-jukebox monaural idiosyncrasy.

But again, so glad they’ve got a new one coming out with this early high-five in RS Country.

Jrr likes this.
  22. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

This is perhaps the most disappointing part. For many of us that enjoy quality sound reproduction, we can listen to early 60's Elvis, Orbison, etc, and know how great things CAN sound. If the Mavericks MONO cd sounded 1/10 as great as ELVIS IS BACK, I'd be tickled to death.

As I've mentioned earlier, for the casual fan, they will(and do), incorrectly, assume that the poor sound quality is because it's recorded for mono rather than stereo.

Jrr likes this.
  23. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Interesting to hear of the New studio album, the earlier albums had such amazing Production quality and polish! Wasn't that important to the core band members then?

Thanks for sharing comments on the recent Live release, will have to pick up that too!

I hope to hear it soon.

24. Chris DeVoe

I did talk to Raul for a bit, to ask him if any of the tracks on the live album had been recorded at Knuckleheads. He didn't know, but said they planned multiple additional volumes.

longdist01, Jrr and melstapler like this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

By the way, The Mavericks will be back at Knuckleheads Saloon in May. They have done some amazing shows at this venue, including one that was a hair under three hours, with several band members parents in the audience, and guest spots by Raul's sons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.