What's your go to: Vinyl, Reel to Reel, CD, Download or Streaming your music?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bingo Bongo, Jan 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Rekkids = 98.575232%
    R2R = 0.8932%
    Digital Files = 0.354379%
    Compact Discs = 0.177189%

I did the math.....

Kyhl and pathguy like this.
  2. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Same here.

3. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Vinyl is the preference, closely followed by CDs.

4. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I have kind of a nice record collection, so that makes it my "go to". I have however, been fooling around a bit with the old reel to reel lately.

5. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms Thread Starter

And here I thought I was the only one that was that crazy organized..... :D

[​IMG]

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

It's about 50/50 vinyl /cd.
    But, not a serous listen, cd.

7. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

I listen mostly to CDs ripped to a music server. I don't know why that is not a category. It is a completely different (better) experience than actually playing CDs, for the convenience and access to the collection, never mind which sounds better.

onlyconnect and Mike-48 like this.
  8. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

Always vinyl first!

motorcitydave likes this.
  9. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Home - 1/2 streaming from my server; 1/4 each CD & Vinyl
    Car - mix between connected iPod, CD, streaming
    Work - iPod

Other places - the voices in my head.

10. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Computer audio, by which I mean playback of ripped discs or downloaded files through (1) a USB DAC, or (2) a DLNA-based (network) system. All lossless.

11. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

I voted CD, which includes a heavy dose of SACD.

12. bxbluesman

bxbluesman Forum Resident

Lately, I've been listing mostly:
    1) Hi-Res downloads from HDtracks using Foobar2000
    2) My CD collection plus downloads via iTunes. I've purchased a lot of MFiTs lately.
    3) Spotify Premium.

I just bought a Music Hall MMF 5.3SE Turntable. It's still in the box. Once that's hooked up and I decide on which speakers to order, I'll be listening to mostly vinyl for awhile.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  13. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I want to ask someone who doesn't have the sidebar or column browser visible in iTunes how they function. How do you function in iTunes without having the sidebar or column browser visible?

14. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

I have two homes, or really one home and a crash pad. The crash pad is all mp3s on a hard drive played through my blu-ray player (which doesn't recognize any other file format, and the room acoustics are so bad there'd be little point).

Main home is CDs. I do vinyl but I can't say it's my go-to just because my vinyl collection is dwarfed by my CDs.

Streaming and legal downloading are not options where I live.

15. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Right, but a music server doesn't necessarily involve downloading, though it surely can. Mine has over 1000 high def albums, most downloaded, but many extracted from discs as well, and of course the vast majority is ripped CDs.

Kyhl, MultiMan, Grant and 1 other person like this.
  16. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I don't really have a particular go-to format, I split a lot of my time between CD and vinyl. But I most definitely have a preference for physical media. I do stream music, and very rarely rip or download music, but it's far and away my least preferred mode of accessing music, behind even radio.

It's basically something I do for convenience's sake and for casual listening only -- I'll stream something when I want to sample new music that I might buy on physical media, or load stuff up on a DAP when I know I'm going to be going on a long plane ride or to have something to distract myself with at the gym -- or when the music is only available in some non-physical form, but the amount of hours I spend playing back music from a digital file on my big stereo and really listening to it intently on the big hifi rig in a hear I can count on two hand, and I fine I never really fully digest or in a way take seriously, the music when its not in physical form. In fact, years ago I was much more of a digital download person (in the days before streaming), and gave it up for exactly that reason. I found I just didn't care about, wasn't as interested in and wasn't as engaged with the music that I had access to only that way. Just not part of my lifestyle.

17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

This poll doesn't work for me because I can't pick more than one format. Some titles have not been reissued in all of the formats.

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  18. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

vinyl, but having aparalyzed left hand makes it kind of a bitch...so i've been listening to cd so far ever since i got sprung.

19. wavertonwood

wavertonwood Forum Resident

CD's ripping to ALAC is my preferred choice. I like the convenience of digital music but also love browsing around the CD racks of music shops.

On this note, I would like that thank the Vinyl buyers old and new. I believe your Vinyl Resurgence movement has been a vanguard in keeping music stores open. Here in Sydney we still have a few decent stores trading well and Vinyl buyers and listeners are the reason. I salute one and all!

20. MultiMan

MultiMan Forum Resident

Why does that matter?

21. russk

russk Forum Resident

Vinyl is my favorite but with family, work, school, and life it is a pleasure I endulge on the weekends, holidays, or during the summer or when an album I want comes out like "Blue and Lonesome". I think this last week was the first time in a while I listened to more Hires and FLACs than Vinyl. I'm currently looking at getting the new Oppo 203 or the new Sony ES universal player that's coming out so I can enjoy some SACDs and play my CDs through my Rega DACr. But Vinyl will always be my favorite.

22. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Vinyl when I can, but play a lot of everything else other then 8 track, reel and downloading.

23. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

Vinyl LPs. Still listen to CDs a fair bit though, I've never really got into the other digital formats, streaming etc.

24. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Vinyl....of course.

25. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms Thread Starter

All my CDs have been downloaded to iTunes, so this is what I consider downloads. I don't own any CDs anymore. I have paid for a few downloaded songs from iTunes too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.