Fake Bowie and Stones box sets on EBAY

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by disraeli, Jan 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. disraeli

disraeli Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I'm looking to order both and find "great deals" on the Bay from dealers selling Stones Mono cd sets for $60-$70 and Bowie Five Year sets for $60-$70.

The sell elsewhere for $157 and $127 for Bowie.

Yes, butter beware and I should have known better. i get it but everyone loves a deal. Oh boy!

So the stuff arrives and immediately the boxes looked rewrapped. The cd covers look like they were reprinted and bent, the cds are floating in plastic wrappers, and the Bowie even has a two Hunky Dorys.

Hunky Dory! Not.

No, I never bothered to give a listen to any. What a disaster. How is this stuff allowed to be sold?

Wrote to the seller who quickly issued a refund on both. Funny how that happens huh.

Reported him to EBAY and they were very nice and said that my comments were noted and they take these reports very seriously.

Unfortunately if you search for these box sets, the games are being played again. Buyer beware.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  2. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

"Honky Dory" would've made for a much more interesting album title :righton:

Actually I came THIS close to pulling the trigger on one of those $75 Stones mono boxes. Glad I didn't.

black sheriff likes this.
  3. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Did the seller have any feedback? Unless he broke bad all of a sudden or just started selling or has no idea what he's selling (which seems unlikely), you'd think there would be some negative comments.

4. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

Doubt if Ebay will do anything, bet Studio Ghibli(fake) Box sets are still being listed..

But thanks for heads up bout Bowie n Stones..

atb

5. disraeli

Strange, no negative feedback.
    I thought the same thing. That's what caused me to pull the trigger.

Each one of these auctions are BUY IT NOW and tagged "16 sold, 2 left"....
    Take a look. Just nuts.

6. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

First of all disraeli, I'm sorry to hear that happened - but I'm glad you got your money refunded. That stuff drives me bonkers.

Although, misterjones' comment has me picturing a hilariously different Breaking Bad reboot with decidedly lower stakes and a much more boring plot.

7. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

:shrug:I bought the stones mono cd box set on eBay for $55 and it was a fake.
    I knew because it didn't say The Rolling Stones on the back of box.

I questioned seller, by saying if this is a fake please refund money back before you ship out. Within ten minutes I had a refund with apologies, but seller never admitting it was a fake box.

8. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I see insane stuff like 15ips reels of Zep and Stones and Pink Floyd which are nothing more than cds recorded to reel and they get crazy prices and I see no negative feedback or interest from Ebay to get rid of them.

9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Very easy to game feedback on eBay and get negatives removed.

10. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

I used to work at eBay, albeit in a different vertical category (motors). Fraud is a huge issue within the company - they were always trying to prevent it while instructing customers how to avoid being ripped off. As a general rule, try to purchase only from sellers that have sold at least 100 items and who have a feedback rating of no less than 99.8%. All sellers should aim for a 100% feedback rating - there isn't much margin for error. And if you are a serious seller, the first thing we recommend is that you sell a bunch of cheap items (less than a dollar) to build up your reputation and score while learning the process of listing and shipping your items. Seriously - we had sellers contact us and complain that buyers had unfairly given them bad reviews that affected their 100% score.

The other thing you might try is to contact their resolutions department (if you haven't already) and put in a refund claim, and use the dreaded "significantly not as described" reason for your request (assuming they still have this - I haven't worked there since 2010).

*This is in no means a defense of eBay - it was just a job that I was all too happy to leave when another opportunity came along. It's still my last choice for purchasing items online.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  11. misterjones

The sound quality of Walter White's boots (with a blue cover) would be amazing. He'd have the music junkies climbing the walls for their next fix.

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  12. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

We'd all be posting on the Heisenberg Music Forum.

(Not to threadcrap or make light of the OP's frustrations!)

misterjones likes this.
  13. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I beware the butter! ;)

Mbe, eddiel, Francisx and 1 other person like this.
  14. misterjones

Unless I see a clear red flag, I will take a chance on eBay. I bought an out-of-print, 19-LP Mosaic set in mint condition for $100 from someone with no feedback who was just starting out. A great buy, and I suspect I won because no one else was willing to take a chance on a newbie. I have a fair number of complaints about eBay, but between eBay and Paypal I feel as though I'm fully covered on misrepresented items.

15. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Ebay sells counterfeit CD's...no way!

16. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

So are they selling fake CD's or "Butter" on Ebay....please be more precise!

17. disraeli

Just checked.
    So many box sets still listed for a third of the going price.

If the guy from EBAY who commented could reply...once I alerted their fraud division, wouldn't these listings have been cancelled?

18. misterjones

When I have alerted eBay to potential sharp practices by sellers, they seem reluctant to address the problem. I think some sellers know that an immediate refund when a buyer complains satisfies eBay and avoids negative feedback. I suspect a manufacturer would have to get involved for there to be any immediate action against counterfeit goods.

19. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Always leave negative feedback for these scumbags selling counterfeits. They refund your money if you complain and always have some variant on the "I didn't know" excuse. Don't believe it fur a second.

Do everyone a favor and leave negative feedback so others may not get fleeced.

eddiel likes this.
  20. eBay is well aware of the pirates selling counterfeit merchandise. They'd lose a lot of revenue if they started seriously cracking down on bootleg movies and music.

ispace likes this.
  21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Used to alert eBay to counterfeit stuff, but they never did anything about it. I hardly go there anymore.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  22. Fastguido

Fastguido New Member

23. misterjones

Sure is a strange looking bar code!

24. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

The seller is from Hong Kong so.................................

25. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.