Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Flowers In The Dirt*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Murdock, Sep 18, 2015.

1. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Socks usually, for me. :)

2. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Agreed, Macca II is one of the best values as far as I am concerned. It is one of the two book editions I bought, because of the 3rd disc of audio.
    The other one I bought is Venus and Mars, because that is a special record to me. If they do come out, I could see myself buying Red Rose Speedway, Press to Play and Flaming Pie book editions because of the possible bonus audio.

3. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

The story behind the feet would be interesting to hear. That said, this is a huge improvement, and I think really complements the FITD cover. Where else have complementary albums had red and blue covers I wonder? ;)

Mr. Explorer, theMess and Hep Alien like this.
  4. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Don't forget the "happy clouds"! :)

5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

How about red, blue, and yellow: King Crimson?:

[​IMG]

6. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

Flaming Pie, when/if it gets archived, will be the one I'll most excited about, I want to own it on vinyl without having to send a fortune!

Jason W and Mr. Explorer like this.
  7. freddiebell

freddiebell Forum Resident

I don't think any Beatles ... er, Rutles ... er, both, fan has felt the same way about feet since this moment:

8. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

You're not spending a fortune until you get to Chaos and Creation In The Backyard. That one will be tough for when I run out official solo Beatles LP's to buy and I come across the albums released in the dark period of vinyl (1993-2010).

9. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

It really isn't actually. There was a lengthy section about it in the "Making Of" doco that accompanied the album's release (Movin' On). Simply, McCartney just wanted to show people levitating/flying, that is, being off the ground...

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  10. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

Not as repetitive as the original "Ski-ing"! :)

11. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

You're right, that really isn't interesting at all. :shake:

Mr. Explorer, theMess and Paul H like this.
  12. Kwai Chang

Kwai Chang Forum Resident

I thought 'off the ground' was Stella-code for being high...
    (so maybe the clouds are smoke)

theMess and Hep Alien like this.
  13. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

Still waiting for the $149 price to come down on Amazon. I'm going to hang in there with my pre-order until early March and if the price hasn't dropped SIGNIFICANTLY by then, I'll cancel and just go with the 2-CD version for now. Amazon doesn't seem to be offering as good a deals on these sorts of music box sets like it used to.

Mr. Explorer and Lewisboogie like this.
  14. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder Thread Starter

Had no idea the Flaming Pie and Chaos and Creation vinyl was rare, or expensive. Is it certain pressings, or just any copy? I got my LPs when they were originally replaced, and only played them once each, for the needledrop.

EDIT: Actually, I probably played Flaming Pie twice -- once to put on cassette in 1997, and again for the needledrop years later...

15. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

The worst bang for the buck has to be 'Venus And Mars' which still sounded muddy or cloudy. If an album ever screamed for a remixing it was this one, not 'Tug Of War'!

16. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

That whole era: Off The Ground>>Paul Is Live>>Flaming Pie>>Run Devil Run>>Driving Rain>>Chaos>>Memory are all pricey acquisitions these days. The classical/experimental stuff ain't cheap, either. Keep 'em in good shape!

EDIT: most of those weren't pressed in the US at all. Flaming Pie & Memory Almost Full did get US pressings, some time after the initial album releases, but not the rest (and that includes Wingspan, Unplugged, Oratorio, Standing Stone, Working Classical, Twin Freaks and the first couple Fireman releases!)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  17. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Agreed Venus And Mars needed it most, but Tug Of War was remixed for technical reasons (that shouldn't, I believe, apply to any other McCartney album) rather than anything to do with the sound quality of the original version.

18. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

When you hear the early version of Rock Show on the bonus disc, you can hear what it's like when mixed without all that compression that the album version has. It sounds great, especially the bass. Shame, I would have liked the whole album like that early version.

19. etcetera

etcetera Forum Resident

Very very interesting german radio interview of Paul from the 20th December 1987 . Paul is talking very freely of the choba b cccp idea ( a scoop ) , the anthology works with George & Ringo and the possibility to do new music for, the Phil Ramone sessions , the work with Elvis Costello , Cloud nine ( he loves side 1 of the lp ) etc

Really nice interview , never heard before ( in my case )

Enjoy

20. scotty j.

scotty j. Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing this great interview. Nice to hear Paul so relaxed and engaged. It also provides some fresh insight into that time period as it was happening.

21. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Nice interview. I think the key to a good Macca interview is, like these guys, 1) know your subject 2) be interested 3) don't be in awe of him. Cheers for posting.

22. supermd

supermd Senior Member

The new remaster sounds meaty, just like the original LP. LOVE IT.

jacden, theMess, Frank and 1 other person like this.
  23. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Whew, he turned down a Whitney Houston duet!
    :sweating:

Yorick, theMess, Frank and 3 others like this.
  24. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Thanks for posting this. As mentioned, it's much more interesting than many of Paul's interviews.

It made me laugh when Paul is talking about when he stopped writing with "John", and then he says "John Lennon", like we might have been thinking he was talking about John Davidson or some other John.:D

Thanks for clarifying it Paul. :laugh:

25. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Meaty? More like muddy or murky. I was so disapointed at the sound especially when I heard how clear and pristine the alternate takes sounded on Paul's download site.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.