Black Sabbath Deluxe Editions January 22, 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hud, Dec 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It's been so long since I've played the old WB. When I'm describing muddy maybe it's my perception that there isn't proposer, transparent high end for my taste and the antiquated A to D technology doesn't help matters. You're right, those just doesn't come close to the vinyl either. I no longer play LP's so I'm constantly trying to find the best digital version(s) and I'm happy with the 2012 remasters used for the 2016 releases. All in all the 2016 TE/NSD are brighter than the original WB but not too bright, at least to my ears. And they aren't nearly as fatiguing as the 2009 version. I think you'll like the new version too.

Tim1954 likes this.
  2. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

I'm going to order it soon. It is cheap on amazon. I have an earlier remaster but I might as well complete the deluxe edition set.

The only ozzy sabbath cd's i had previously were the Complete Albums box set. When the 2016 RM's were released I bought all of them within the first few days of release with no regret. I'm fine with these cd's and will be go to for listening purposes.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    driverdrummer and The Hud like this.
  3. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

I definitely agree. My least favorite from the Ozzy-era, but a big improvement in clarity over the original WB.

My only 2016 complaints:

I wish Never Say Die 2016 had slightly more low end. But still better clarity than original WB. "Over To You" is the best sounding track and the bass sounds fuller than the other tracks. This track sounds so good that I have a newfound appreciation for it as Ozzy's melodies are great. Does the original LP lack as much low end in the other tracks? The original WB has a bit more low end.

The long dropout in "Wheels" on Vol 4 and overall smiley-faced EQ as someone else noted. Still an overall fuller sound compared to the original WB. Can anyone confirm whether the 2009 had issues with that dropout or other issues?

Music_dude and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  4. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

The original Never Say Die LP has VERY deep bass. The title track will rattle your walls!

5. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Yup, my original UK pressing is sublime. Always loved this album. Air Dance is one of my favourite tracks, ever.

6. Music_dude

Music_dude Forum Resident

Just ordered the original WB cd of NSD to replace my long lost copy from 1990. It will be interesting to hear how it compares to the 2016 disc soundwise.

Brenald79 likes this.
  7. Music_dude

I'm still waiting for the day that the powers that be decide to release flat transfers of the master tapes from the entire Sabbath catalogue. My goal is to get as close to the original sound that was produced in the studio while the albums were being recorded.

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  8. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Eternal Idol also has a deluxe edition. Not sure if you're interested in that one. A while back I got Seventh Star and Eternal Idol from Amazon for $15 total. Worth it IMO.

9. Music_dude

I'm waiting for the Seventh Star deluxe to arrive. I had the original album back on the day when it first came out, but I bought the deluxe mainly for the bonus live tracks.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  10. Vinyl Fan 1973

Yup, Eternal Idol DE is a must, just to hear Ray Gillen sing those songs.

Natvecal. likes this.
  11. Vinyl Fan 1973

Unfortunately the bonus CD for Seventh Star really falls short. The sound is horrible and the performance uninspired. It's my least fave of all the bonus discs, but they did a great job with the remaster on the main album. Seventh Star sounds really great on vinyl as well.

Beyond Salvation and Music_dude like this.
  12. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The 2016 disc is slightly better....

Music_dude likes this.
  13. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

I've got that Eternal Idol deluxe edition as well as the Tony Martin cd's. I managed to buy the TM cd's over the past few years. I heard a while ago that Iommi is considering doing some reissue of the Martin years, has there been any update?

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  14. Vinyl Fan 1973

For my money, the stuff with Tony Martin is really good. Eternal Idol, Headless Cross and Tyr are some stellar albums. I've got the original CDs for all of them, as well as the DE of EI, and would welcome new material from a future collaboration.

15. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

imo, if you are first and foremost a Tony Iommi fan then all the Sabbath albums have SOMEthing to offer - I am relatively new to thinking this way as, like many of us here I think, I basically got off the train after Born Again. But in the last few years - actually I kind of owe some thx to Godshifter for the awesome Sabbath album by album thread, I've come to have some appreciation for the post BA material.

I have the DEs of SEventh and Eternal and will pick up whatever else they release if when they do so.

16. Music_dude

On a completely different note, Tony Iommi is also involved with some solo projects. This is his choral composition! Very cool...

17. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Brilliant. Wish there was a whole album of this.

nodeerforamonth and Music_dude like this.
  18. Music_dude

Yes, indeed... Mr. Iommi's talent borders on being a musical genius. No doubt his honorary Doctorate was well deserved...

19. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Will there be a deluxe release of SBS?

20. Music_dude

How does the original WB cd of The Eternal Idol compare to the deluxe version sonically?

21. I hope so but it's my understanding that for this album there is very little left in the can in the way of extra tracks or outtakes for bonus material.

22. I much prefer the deluxe version.

Music_dude likes this.
  23. Music_dude

Thanks... I'm going to order the deluxe version of Eternal Idol today. I was never really happy with the sound of the original Warner disc, but I thought it was just me!

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  24. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

The main album is fine, but the live disc sounds horrible. It's the worst sounding live recording ever released officially by Sabbath.

25. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

There must some live or studio recordings in the vaults, but most likely the rights to any unreleased material are owned by Patrick Meehan.

ModernDayWarrior likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.