Possible Beatles US Vinyl box set on the way?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by raq0915, Jan 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Playable doesn't mean its good, especially when it comes time to make digital copies of your vinyl collection (which is what Im doing right now)

2. raq0915

Nah because then we would be paying $35 for each album individually. Plus, they would make more money selling them separately.

3. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I only bought "A Hard Days Night" just to have a clean copy of the soundtrack ,otherwise I stayed away from the US CD's.

g.z. likes this.
  4. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Agreed, it would be stupid again to use the 2009 mixes, and I'm sure it would be the same incomplete box set on LP from the 2014 US CD set.. What's the point of not including Sgt Pepper, right up to Let It Be????? :rant:

The Beave likes this.
  5. raq0915

Because the releases were virtually the same after Revolver. Track listing was exactly the same, and TBH I can't speak about the mixing, but Im fairly positive they were the same

e.s. likes this.
  6. Bingo Bongo

Agreed, but it's still an incomplete box set. Trying to complete this set without Capitol Records is just wrong

7. raq0915

I disagree. Everything after Sgt. Pepper is Apple anyway, so really the only true capitol album missing from the set is Sgt. Pepper, and really the only difference is the label.

SixtiesGuy and john lennonist like this.
  8. Bingo Bongo

Good point. Except for MMT, which you'd have to buy from the EMI box set, and the Sgt Pepper album cover is slightly different than the EMI album cover. The white album is side loading, unlike the UK top loading, but ya, it's all splitting hairs at this point, but remains incomplete regardless.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  9. raq0915

MMT is a capitol only album, which was reissued in 2009 and 2014 on both CD and vinyl and in both mono and stereo, so I see no real point in including it if its already widely available brand new

10. Bingo Bongo

Like I said, splitting hairs, but the bottom line is you open the box, and there are albums missing....

11. raq0915

True, but then again, the US box set is really aimed towards extreme Beatles fans and maybe a few who grew up on the US albums

12. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Agreed 100%. I am out either way. I am a second generation fan that grew up with the UK canon. The US albums, covers, track sequencing and capitol masters have no emotional significance to me as such.

I have heard them on the capitol albums cd boxes and that was enough for me. UK albums forever : )

13. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Just another marketing ploy to remove you from your money. Don't take the bait! There is enough decent Beatles stuff available at the moment. The record stores are full of it, albeit not cheap though.

14. raq0915

Thats why we need this box set. I will never find a US Beatles album that plays like new without paying $50+.

15. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

there is a genuine need for the U.S. albums. But I expect it to be 100% historically correct or I wouldn't even consider buying. Correct masters, cover art, inner sleeves.....and no barcodes. They do it for lesser artists, it should be done for the Beatles.

16. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Heck many people are still getting used to the UK Rubber Soul track listing after being used to the US one for years.

17. I guess that people don't remember that Capitol DID put out the the original Beatles' Capitol albums back in 2004 which, like the actual original LP's, included the stereo & Duophonic tracks just as they appeared on the U.S. Capitol Beatles' albums, plus the entire album in mono.
    This wen't over like a lead brick and Capitol even used the incorrect version of one song, but they did correct that and if you sent the one CD in, Capitol would sent the corrected replacement. The Capitol albums Volume 1 is still available if you have to have those "Duophonic" tracks:
    The Beatles - The Beatles The Capitol Albums Vol. 1 - Amazon.com Music »

In 2006, as if they hadn't learnead from the backlash over Vol. 1, Capitol did it again and issued more of the Capitol versions of the albums with Vol. 2. Fortunately, Capitol finally saw the light and spared us from a Vol. 3 which probably would have included "Yesterday and Today". Again, if you've got to have more of the second-rate Capitol albums, they are still available:
    The Beatles - The Capitol Albums Vol. 2 (Longbox) - Amazon.com Music »

It's great that Capitol finally did it right and made a superior set of the albums with no "Duophonic" when they released "The U.S. Albums" in 2014, which included the original "Butcher" cover. Now if they just release those in vinyl.

Shaker Steve, JJ3810 and seaisletim like this.
  18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

BurtThomasWard and Mark Wilson like this.
  19. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Be careful with the Vol. 2 box - most of the sets released in the US contain two albums that are fold downs of the US stereo. That's probably one of the main reasons they have languished on Store shelves. There is a way to identify the set by product code (the info must be online somewhere) but if you buy the wrong disks, I don't think Apple/Capitol will replace them any more. The only sure way to get the original Capitol mono mixes for volume 2 is to buy the more expensive Japanese square shaped box (if it's in a longbox, even if it has an obi, it's the US set) - the square shaped boxes were made in Japan and contain the right mixes and the jackets are beautiful (Help is a gatefold, and they actually used cover slicks like the original releases).

As for the recent US box, I think it's a pretty shoddy effort - they used the original album credits that list Dave Dexter as "producer in the US", but apparently didn't use the original US tracks? They should have done one or the other - either keep the music historically accurate, or if they are going to mess with the music, they might as well correct the jacket credits.

20. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

I'd still rather listen to the US Rubber Soul, followed immediately by Yesterday And Today! :agree:

905, ohnothimagen and colgems1966 like this.
  21. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

I haven't heard about any mastering errors for the first box. What song was the wrong version used?

Now this I remember. I even was able to get the replacement discs from Capitol with the correct mixes for Beatles VI and Rubber Soul.

22. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

If they really are releasing a Vinyl US box set (which I doubt), I think it's most unlikely that they use the Capitol tapes with duophonic and other Capitol peculiarities. Apple made it clear in 2014 that the surviving Beatles and estates of John and George don't want those manipulated versions to remain in print (why they allowed it in 2004 is another question).

And I don't think it would be a set with mono and stereo mixes either. That would make it a 26-record set. If the stereo UK set had 16 records and had such a high price, who would be able to buy this one? How large would it be?

Onder likes this.
  23. slane

slane Forum Resident

Yes, my guess is that they would be the 2014 mono versions - for me, the best representations of the US albums.

24. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I wouldn't mind a re-issued Capitol Let It Be (it essentially WAS Capitol Records with the Apple logo)..it had the gatefold cover which was unique to the U.S. release and, also unique, was the red Apple. Some early copies of the album also came with a poster of the front cover.

25. raq0915

Nobody wants a vinyl version of the newer US box set that came out on CD. They didnt use the US mixes. Whether you think the UK mixes are better then the US mixes or not is besides the point, we already have the UK mixes. We need a box set that DOES use those duo phonic versions. Im not gonna dump money if it just uses the same mixes as the UK albums which everyone already owns. At that point all you are paying for is a different track listing and album covers.

Dinstun and DK Pete like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.