Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11th 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Sep 27, 2016.

1. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!!!!!

Beautifully put.

L.

zobalob and notesfrom like this.
  2. highway

highway Forum Resident

Interesting. What two songs are being talked about?

3. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

I've had a short break from contributing here, slowly working my way through the task of getting everything NOT present on this box and The Cutting Edge into some kind of order. Ultimately, I have been through a few shows several times, and made some executive descisions on what to keep and what to get rid of. Here's what I've written to accompany the stuff I've assembled. I am very happy to share this with people, however, it's mammoth in size - around 3GB. I have no idea where is good to upload this. I can put it in my dropbox for a while, but will need to reclaim that space sooner rather than later, so all ideas welcome.

A huge thanks goes to everyone who has contributed here in working out what was missing initially, but also for providing brilliant commentary to the box that has made it even more enjoyable to work through.

Here's all the blurb I've written up:

LIVE66+

In the 1966 Live Recordings Box Set several recordings omit gaps between songs and partial sections of songs (notably Bristol, where an audience tape circulates but only a portion of ‘One Too Many Mornings’ is presented on the box set, Edinburgh does similarly with ‘Desolation Row’). The selection of material below hopes to fill in the gaps and provide alternate versions to those presented on the 1966 Live Recordings. There is a lot of overlapping material with that which has already seen release. Sydney, for example, mostly omitted the silence between songs on the official release. Rather than edit together these sections of silence, it seemed wiser to include the entire show with them in place (though I can tell you it was an interesting experience doing the former, but quickly abandoned).

In chronological order (the folders are prefaced by the relevant CD# in the box set):

• February 6, Pittsburgh - opening tuning to ‘Like a Rolling Stone’ (only a few seconds).
    • February 26, Hempstead - fragment of audience tape missing. A few seconds at the end of ‘Mr Tambourine Man’ going into ‘Tell Me, Momma’. An audience member shouts. No music was missing, and, as the rest of the gap between the song/set is unavailable, this was not included.
    • April 13, Sydney - First tiny snippet of ‘She Belongs to Me’ is missing. Silences are shortened between tracks on the new box set. Entire show and intermission included here.
    • April 20, Melbourne - Main omission: ‘Mr Tambourine Man’ fragment not included on the new set. In between song silence has been trimmed down on the new set. Entire circulating Melbourne show included here without edits.
    • April 29, Stockholm - The best version of the audience tape that I could find is included here, and is certainly a step up from the one on the box (which appears to come straight from Jewels and Binoculars).
    • May 5 Belfast – ‘I Don't Believe You’ from Biograph is included as it has a different sound, though is undoubtedly from the same source.
    • May 10 Bristol – ‘Only One Too Many Mornings’ from the electric portion is really required, but the sound on Away from the Past, the bootleg this is sourced from, is slightly clearer than the one used on the box set, so the entire thing is included for the sake of it.
    • May 14, Liverpool – ‘Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues’ single version is included here, as it is in fact the Liverpool version with the opening bars from Belfast tacked on the front.
    • May 15, Leicester - incomplete audience recording from Jewels and Binoculars included here for the sake of completion.
    • May 16, Sheffield – ‘Tell Me Momma’ included here. It is most likely the Alderson recording, in very bad quality, however it is included just in case it has any link to the CBS recording of the show - for completion's sake only.
    • May 17, Manchester -CBS recording of five tracks from the acoustic show.
    • May 20, Edinburgh - Complete audience tape.
    I have decided against including the Guitars Kissing… and Royal Albert Hall acetate-sourced bootlegs, despite their provenance differing from the box, as, in my opinion, they add little to what exists on the box set (the same could be argued for much of what I have included, I realise!).

There are, in a separate folder, the excerpts of press conferences that circulate, and one radio show. This, along with the 1966 Live Recordings, The Cutting Edge and its counterpart Crawling on the Cutting Room Floor and No Direction Home presents pretty much everything available of 1966 Dylan. For the sake of completeness I have also included the Eat the Document disc from Jewels and Binoculars.

4. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Just finishing up Birmingham from 5/12. God bless them for giving this set to us...With the exception of the few acoustic numbers being incomplete, the Birmingham show might be the best I have heard so far. Going in order BTW

jamesmaya likes this.
  5. Wayfaring Stranger

Wayfaring Stranger Forum Resident

I just read a Popspot article on Expecting Rain about Dylan visiting Nottingham Castle, between the Leicester and Sheffield shows. In the mid70's I was at college with a guy who told me that he'd once met Dylan in a park "the afternoon before his concert in Nottingham where he got booed off!" I always assumed he was talking rubbish, as I knew there'd been no Nottingham gig. I can't remember his full story now, but he'd been a schoolboy at the time I think, and there was some element of interaction between Dylan and this guy and his pals. Now all these years later, it looks like it was all true! Apart from the Nottingham concert bit of course! Although... Well... Maybe there was a... Wow!!

jamesmaya and NumberEight like this.
  6. Early Memphis

Early Memphis Active Member

Way back, before most folks even had been able to get the set yet, I believe I saw a post or two where folks said they thought this box set version sounded better (one poster definitely said he was selling the original) and I figured some would've held the opposite view. When I got up to that point listening to the set, I played them both to find out. Two versions of the same recording are never gonna be exactly the same, even if they use the same master. It appears that the box set version is a wee bit louder and maybe smoother, but the original may have a bit more bite. But, as I said ... not sure and figured I'd see if there had been comments/ opinions I hadn't caught up to yet. No biggie, just thought I'd check. :righton:

fishcane likes this.
  7. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

I did a bit-for-bit comparison and they were exactly the same.

8. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

9. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

10. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

...or the '68 appearance.

fishcane likes this.
  11. clausclaus

clausclaus Forum Resident

Are we sure that the acetate recordings from May 26-27 we know from bootlegs (Genuine Live 1966) are not sourced from Alderson's tapes.

subtr likes this.
  12. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Six Bachelors and HominyRhodes like this.
  13. Walking Antique

Walking Antique Nothing is incomprehensible

The first photo of Dylan playing the black Tele is October 22, 1965.

Here's more than you'll ever want to know about that guitar:
    Robbie Robertson (The Band) "Rock Of Ages 1972" Telecaster project »

14. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

No, I'm not sure at all. But, as they're so commonly circulating, if someone else wants to do the work for me and make a thorough comparison (as much as I really love 1966, this has pushed me over the edge and I need a break from it) I can happily include them in the download when I manage to host it some where.

15. fangedesire

fangedesire Well-Known Member

Quite an endeavor! The acetates of the 5/17 and 5/27 acoustic sets (from Alderson's tapes) have more tuning/silences between songs that were cut on the releases, so there's a bit more to add. (Someone who has the boots can compare; there was some comment on this dozens of pages ago in this thread.)

subtr likes this.
  16. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Here's a couple of rank amateur photoshopping efforts...

[​IMG]
    "Theoretical" SINGLE-LP version
    (Unused Columbia catalog numbers, circa December 1966-May 1967: CL-2619 (mono) / CS-9419 (stereo)

********​

[​IMG]
    "Theoretical" TWO-LP version
    (Unused Columbia catalog numbers, circa December 1966-May 1967: C2L-42 /CL-2622/2623 (mono) / C2S-842 / CS-9422/9423 (stereo)

17. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

Then I guess I shall whack them in there too for anyone who wants them!

The Bard likes this.
  18. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Very nice, especially the first one.

One small point: unless you're expecting Columbia to have gotten it wrong (which, admittedly, is likely) the name of the venue should read "The Royal Albert Hall".

19. HominyRhodes

As a matter of fact, I WAS expecting Columbia to get it wrong back then! Good eye!

BTW: For anyone who enjoys 1960s Columbia album artwork, I would direct you to: Columbia Album Discography, Part 22 (CL 2600-2699/CS 9400-9499) 1967 »

Percy Song, NumberEight and DeeThomaz like this.
  20. Lucretius

Lucretius Forum Resident

That's what I'm talking about!

HominyRhodes likes this.
  21. Lucretius

Lucretius Forum Resident

I noticed a couple of live LPs in that list: the Clancy Brothers and Mahalia Jackson. The Clancy Brothers shows them on stage but taken from behind the stage with darkness surrounding them; not dissimilar to the art direction on Dylan's Greatest Hits LP (Bob's head illuminated by stage lights surrounded by darkness). Columbia in 1967 really loved bathing their covers in shadows.

But I like the Mahalia Jackson in Concert cover better and now I really wish they had mimicked this for the Real RAH LP release. Thirty different photos of Dylan taken from the actual concert with "Bob Dylan in Concert" at the top. Please, somebody do a mock up based on that cover!

https://www.discogs.com/Mahalia-Jac...In-Concert-Easter-Sunday-1967/release/3462732

22. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

notesfrom's post was responding to some comments made by fandesire about "Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands" and "Visions of Johanna."

L.

highway likes this.
  23. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

As I feared, this is getting complicated. :)

As for the Columbia album discography, it's fascinating to see classic album covers (Dylan, Byrds, Miles, etc.) in context. Thanks for the link.

24. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

I found an old Hit Parader that carried the original ad (below).

I think the LP was pulled exactly a week before release. Bob wasn't happy with the Stereo mixes and by then he also hated Grossman, who was pushing the LP.

Would the Mono pressing have used Alderson's tapes, I wonder, or be a fold-down or dedicated Mono mix from the 3-tracks?

Shame it didn't see release then. It was a very good year.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  25. HominyRhodes

:laughup:
    That is absolutely one of the coolest things I've ever seen -- you're a master, my friend. Thank you. :righton:

asdf35 likes this.