The Beatles "Help!" and "Rubber Soul" original 1965 stereo mixes?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AlanDistro, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schnulli

schnulli Forum Resident

They became aware later in 1965 that playback of stereo records on MONO record players changes the balance of the mix. Center noises (usually vocals) are 3 dB louder than in stereo playback. To avoid any problems with this, they decided to leave the center empty (We can work it out & Day Tripper were given the same treatment). And yes, as most stereo equipment was housed in some wooden furniture and the left & right speakers were hardly more than 1 m apart, it did not matter.
    This was just for the 10-20% of stereo records they sold....

BeatlesBop likes this.
  2. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

:laughup:

3. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Those are Martin's explanations, but I don't find them very convincing:

-Mono was the predominant format, there were more copies manufactured, and stereo records were more expensive so, why would someone buy a stereo record to listen to it folded down in a mono player?

-If they really thought this was the way to mix, why did they only do it in Rubber Soul? (apart from the first two albums, which were twin track recordings). Those conditions Martin explained remained the same in 1966.

4. schnulli

schnulli Forum Resident

I don't know. They did this also for We Can Work it Out and Day Tripper. Sometimes, people buy stereo records and play them on several phonographs, some stereo, some mono ?
    I also find GMs explanations not very convincing - at least they are correct technically. He said (if i recall correctly) that they want to make sure the stereo sounds exactly like the mono, even if it is played on a mono machine, which it would not if something is mixed into the center of the stereo image. Mono was such a priority these days, that stereo>mono compatibility was considered more important than a good stereo image ?
    They went back to regular stereo mixes soon - so they might have thought that the decision to mix hard L/R was not a good one in the first place.
    All speculations....

BeatlesBop likes this.
  5. A well respected man

Those two were recorded and mixed during the same sessions for Rubber Soul.

I don't know, I wasn't around during the sixties. But I don't think anybody would make mixing decissions based on that possibility, and not looking for a good balance.

Yes, they are techincally correct (for example the Capitol mono Help! is a fold down of the stereo version, and the vocals are too prominent). But still, I don't think those are the real reasons for that mix.

6. slane

slane Forum Resident

Not on the original 1965 mix of We Can Work It Out (on Y&T), which has harmonium in the centre (I believe that's the only instance of centre information on a Rubber Soul-era mix).

It could have been mixed with mono compatibility in mind - not just for the people buying the records, but perhaps a reaction to what Capitol did on their 'Help'' LP.

7. A well respected man

That I find more likely. The American market was very important and surely Martin was appalled at the mono Capitol Help! That would also explain why he didn't continue the same technique, since Capitol used the dedicated mono mixes for RS.

BeatlesBop likes this.
  8. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

If RS was mixed with mono compability in mind then that ethos was very shortlived and absndoned already the next time they entered the studio.

9. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

How different is The Word on Capitol Bov Vol II than the 65 UK stereo or the 87 remix?
    I have the false start on Looking through you but only as an added feature to the US albums RS which is still the 87 remix/2009 remaster I believe

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

A Neumann mic is a Neumann mic. Rushing an album in a week or taking a month to do it won't change the sound quality. Usually the faster the album is recorded and mixed the better it sounds. Just use any jazz album for example.

BTW, no song from HELP! has any vocals in only one channel. Same mixing style as BEATLES FOR SALE. Go check, I'll wait.

john morris, SKATTERBRANE and Keith V like this.
  11. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Yea, I corrected that in a subsequent post, it was Rubber Soul that reverted to that mixing choice/style. Why bring a jazz recording into this? Certainly some albums can sound good when recorded and mixed fast; others sound better because of the care and deliberateness involved. While a mic is a mic, HOW they are set up is what matters most. Now why would the results be different just a few months later? I think the quickness of the sessions may have something to do with the murky(ier) sound. Maybe ol' Norm just didn't take the time to get a fab sound because of the limited time involved. Notice that the sizzle on Ringo's cymbals is rather muted compared to songs from Beatles For Sale. Maybe the tape used wasn't up to the usual EMI standards? Maybe they installed new drapes on the wall at good ol' Number Two. ANy number of possible reasons. Hell, you're the music expert here, what do YOU think is the cause(es)? Ron

12. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Different four-track? Looks like they moved from remote Telefunkens to Studer J37s in the control room starting with the song "Help!".

More bounces? Did the Studer being in the control room allow/encourage more of this?

13. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

Capitol did not do the double-tracking. It was a completely different mix sent to the US by EMI.

Derek

DK Pete likes this.
  14. CDJones

CDJones Explorer of the fine aural experience.

It's been my belief that the stereo versions of those records were mixed specifically for those small stereo suitcase phonographs that were becoming so popular with children at the time. The left-right mix being the only way to provide separation with the tiny speakers being so close together.

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  15. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

And I agree with you 100%. I never thought the remixes , with the digital reverb were any improvement.

16. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Good point, but the title track was recorded two months after the other film songs, plus Yes It Is, Tell Me What You See, That Means A Lot and If You've Got Trouble. True, Help does sound better than the previous batch of tunes. Ron

17. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

The latest DVD remix shows how well the Help album was recorded. The 65 mixes were just dull for some reason.

18. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

..interesting...and thanks for the info.

19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

There were some internal bounces, but the title track was the only one with a reduction mix.

The recording process changed, moving from mostly live with overdubs to getting a backing track and adding things onto it. I think that plays a big part in the overall sound.

goodiesguy, SixtiesGuy, slane and 2 others like this.
  20. Onder

Onder Senior Member

Actually, Help! DVD 5.1 mix reveals that You're Going To Lose That Girl must have been reduced too!
    One set of Paul and George backing vocals is on its own seperate track without John's lead vocal which is double tracked too. That makes 5 tracks in total.

Ondra

nikh33, Yosi and slane like this.
  21. teag

teag Forum Resident

Maybe Sir George Martin just blew this one.

22. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

I love that song, but I wish they would have reduced those dang bongos in the right channel. :thumbsdow

nikh33 and BeatlesBop like this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

To make it silly, there is the same type of thing that happened with Herb Alpert. (Told you it was silly). The TJB album WHAT NOW MY LOVE, recorded at Gold Star by Larry Levine on four track has a nice, hi-fi, open sound, fully balanced. The very next album, called S. R. O., recorded in the same place by the same guy with the same musicians sounds just like the HELP! songs, like something is out of alignment or the tape heads are worn out, especially on the left channel (where the drums and bass are). Overload distortion abounds.

I have no idea why the drop in fidelity and in fact, I once asked engineer Larry Levine the question and he had no idea why.

So, it can happen, I guess. Bugs me though.

24. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

No, yer right, Steve- the Help! LP is mixed in the same manner as Beatles For Sale and A Hard Day's Night- centered vocals, rhythm instruments on the left, lead instruments and overdubs generally on the right. The non-centered vocals aside, even the original '65 stereo mix of Rubber Soul isn't as extreme "vocals on the right, instruments on the left" as the first two twin-track albums. There are instruments across the stereo spectrum on the '65 Rubber Soul, it's just that the vocals aren't centered. IMO that is all George Martin should have done in 1986 (similar to what he did for those Rubber Soul tracks used on the Rock And Roll Music and Love Songs LPs)- center the vocals, leave that unnatural-as-hell reverb out. Also IMO the Help! album didn't need to be touched at all in 1986. That over the top reverb on "Dizzy Miss Lizzie" makes it sound like it belongs on John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band...George Martin channeling his inner Phil Spector or something:laugh:

Daily Nightly and SKATTERBRANE like this.
  25. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.