Possible Beatles US Vinyl box set on the way?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by raq0915, Jan 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well I agree that if it happens, they definitely wouldn't make it with mono AND stereo

2. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Honestly, I don't recall any "backlash" whatsoever withe regard to the two "Capitol Albums" boxes -- except with regard to the poor design of the box itself. I think everyone who bought the two sets did so not merely knowing they contained the original Capitol mixes, but because they contained the original Capitol mixes.

Contrast that to the widespread, still-ongoing, objection to the 2014 series of "American albums" in which the Capitol mixes were largely replaced by the common UK mixes.

People can certainly disagree as to which mixes they prefer, but if the Capitol albums are to be reissued on vinyl, it would only make sense to use the Capitol mixes. Otherwise, it would just be a repackaging of tracks that are currently available on vinyl LP in both mono and stereo. What would the selling point be? The different covers?

People who want the Capitol albums are hardcore fans who already have the "official" UK albums on CD and vinyl. The only possible reason for them to buy newly released "Capitol" versions of the band's albums would be if they contained the actual, unique Capitol mixes.

The Beave, 905, Bingo Bongo and 4 others like this.
  3. raq0915

exactly!!!!

905 and Klassik like this.
  4. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

I wouldn't say that they are that tough to find. Obviously, it would help to live in a large city (where there are used record stores and flea markets to check out on a regular basis). I've managed to put together a decent set of mono original US albums on a tight budget (I didn't spend more than $20- for any of these). My 'Revolver' cover definitely needs to be upgraded and 'The Beatles Story' has a weird discoloration thing on its spine, but overall I'm quite happy with these. One-third of them are still in their original shrinkwrap! The vinyl is all in comparable shape to their respective covers as well. I grade my records on a 10-point grading scale (with 10 being flawless mint and 8 being VG++), and from 'Meet The Beatles' forward, I give these records 8, 7, 9, 8.5, 8, 6, 8.5, 8, 7, 8, 8, and 8.5 respectively. Not too shabby for so little cash (I think I paid about seven bucks for 'Pepper'!) They're out there, people, ya just gotta find them!) :agree:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  5. raq0915

The real question is not how they look but how they sound. I find albums that look nice all the time, but none that play well, hence why a reissue would be perfect

The Beave and fishcane like this.
  6. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Going by the stereo and mono vinyl boxs and the effort and detail that was put into each set you would think they would want to give it the proper treatment if it ever happens. I'm not that bothered though as the other two sets are the bench mark for me, some of the US albums are abit of a mish mash as well with the tracks that are Spread across the albums , like that Hey Jude album. I like some of the sleeves though like A Hard Days Night And Yesterday and Today.

7. daveidmarx

My number grades are about how they play. 'Something New' is practically silent between songs. :)
    [​IMG]

8. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

If you refer to the unique mixes on the American records (the different mixes George Martin sent to Capitol), nearly all of them were already present in the CD box. If you refer to the duophonics, fold-down mono and extra reverb of certain tracks, they will surely not be published again.

9. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

They are most certainly OUT there, I acquired mine much the same as you did including a couple of 2nd state Butchers. Its just that the market isn't flooded with NM or better copies like some think.

10. daveidmarx

No they are not. The unique stereo mixes on 'Yesterday And Today' are MIA, along with the unique U.S. mixes of Strawberry Fields Forever and I Am The Walrus. Also, the banding on the US MMT is different, with no gaps between songs (a la 'Sgt. Pepper'). Also, the "extra reverb" on "I Feel Fine" and "She's A Woman" (mono mix) was added by George Martin himself, and indeed those are different mixes than the UK versions. And again, there is little point in reissuing the U.S. albums if the unique mixes (including duophonic mixes and added reverb) aren't used. Otherwise, what would be the point of folks who grew up with these albums to buy them again for the sake of nostalgia?

SixOClockBoos likes this.
  11. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

That's why I said nearly all of them. The three Revolver tracks (two according to other sources) in the Stereo Y&T and two more in the stereo Second Album.
    As for MMT, they didn't release it in the 2014 set, so you can't really say they substituted any mix there.

12. daveidmarx

Sure, but I would imagine that if there was a U.S. album vinyl box, then MMT would certainly belong there, seeing as it started out as a U.S. album in the first place!

13. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

It was Apple that released the 2014 US Albums, not Capitol. This is why it's called the US Albums. It was Apple that tried to cheat people out of the true 60's duophonic/Dave Dexter recordings. It's great that Apple put out a great sounding set in 2014, but it's not what people grew up with.

Who knows, maybe the Capitol boxes came out in the wrong era (2004), and 2014 would have been the right time......

The Beave and Klassik like this.
  14. If you HAVE the U.S. CD sets "The Capitol Albums" Vol. 1 & 2, then you DO HAVE the atrocious "Duophonic" versions of the songs that were modified that way. Whatever, original or genuine re-issues of the Capitol albums, the buying public is owed the best version. George Martin nor The Beatles ever intended for their recordings to be modified into "Duophonic". Of course all the U.S. Capitol albums were, outside of "Magical Mystery Tour" and "Hey Jude/The Beatles Again" albums, shortened versions of the original U.K. albums or made-up albums of those songs that were either never on an album or the left-overs from the songs removed from the U.K. versions to make the Capitol versions.
    If you have to have the original Capitol albums on vinyl, with their "Duophonic" tracks, then buy the original Capitol LP's. I already have those. I'm done buying more Beatles albums, unless of course they are made up of unreleased material and it's good.
    With EMI and Capitol under UMG, which is wholly owned by French corporation Vivendi, who knows how greedy they are and if they will ever re-issue the Capitol sub-standard albums or correct past mistakes. With the time, money and effort put into remastering the stereo mixes, I think that is what we will get from now on.

15. I already have all the original Capitol LP's. I also have some of the original U.K. LP's. I have all the re-issued for the U.S. Beatles U.K. version LP's. I also have all the first time on CD U.K. versions sold in the U.S., plus the unauthorized "Abbey Road" CD from Japan. I've got everything else that came after.
    I have always been a "die-hard" Beatles fan, but I am done buying any more re-issues. I am especially not going to throw my money away on a record that doesn't have the best versions on it( and the best versions do NOT include the atrocities of "Duophonic").

Blue Cactus, Shaker Steve and JJ3810 like this.
  16. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Look for the '83 rainbow labels. They sound great. All mastered by Wally and in my experience quite easy to find in good nick at reasonable prices.

DK Pete likes this.
  17. Klassik

Klassik Guerilla BeatLOLogist

This is strictly a vicious humour, I mean rumour but I heard on the grapevine that The Beatles US Albums vinyl box set will be released once all those who want the original mixes are dead, at which point the publicity for the box will claim 'authentic reproductions of original albums from the original masters'. This will be legally the case as the original original masters will have oxidised.
    See? Simple.

18. Klassik

What about a specially designed triple gatefold box?
    I mean they did triple gatefold Anthology so why not just have a gatefold box (designed by Apple's Jonathan Ives) with the original mono mixes, the original ahem..'stereo' mixes and then a third really annoying set of the 2009 original remasters?

19. Klassik

I think you've nailed it.

But then again, fans being the fervent whingers they often are, they would have made it not the right era by claiming that Capitol had cash-grabbed fans by just dumping those old Dexter mixes to CD when what was needed was a proper remastering of those horeendous 1987 CDs

Oh wait.
    That's EXACTLY what did happen!

20. Bingo Bongo

Exactly. They only released about 100 million copies of each Capitol album.....

Heck, I was able to collect the "original" UK mono collection. Most of the LPs where cheap, with the exception of the White album (due to wanting a decent lowish number), Sgt. Pepper & the red Love Me Do single.... Unfortunately, shipping was not cheap!!

daveidmarx likes this.
  21. daveidmarx

And who put YOU in charge of what "the buying public" should get? I am part of that "buying public", and if I am plunking down hard-earned money on something that claims to be "The U.S. Albums", it had damn well better include the U.S. mixes, and not the same dead-sounding UK mixes that are on every other reissue. Say what you will about the versions used on the U.S. albums, they have a hell of a lot more life to them overall than the UK albums. :agree:

musicfan37, EddieMann and goat65cars like this.
  22. Klassik

I think Apple could have avoided a lot of backlash if they's just sent all buyers of The US Albums an (optionally) affixable sticker which reads 'Sleeves'

23. Bingo Bongo

AAA stereo LPs will be next with proper album covers, just like the 2014 mono set. Bet on it....:targettiphat:

andrewskyDE and Klassik like this.
  24. Klassik

Betting here, boss cos You is right.

25. Bingo Bongo

Imagine if they released the 2014 UK mono box or the 2012 UK stereo set in North America (without Sgt. Pepper and up), because they were virtually the same???

Klassik likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.