Worst Chicago song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

"Song For You."

2. Whichever one won David Foster his 15th (or 16th, I forget) grammy...

3. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

This is ghastly.

4. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

The video or the song? Or both? :laugh:

That was the first time I ever saw the video ('89 or whatever was after my MTV days). Good thing Cetera left so they didn't have to do sht like this anymore. Oh, wait... :D

limoges, MikaelaArsenault and zebop like this.
  5. Colour My World - I had to play it at a few weddings back in the day, pure dreck, IMO.

DrAftershave likes this.
  6. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

The sad thing about threads like this is both of these posts weigh equally even though only one has actually listened to them enough to give an opinion.

Crimson jon likes this.
  7. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Always disliked "Stay the Night".

MikaelaArsenault and zebop like this.
  8. Well..for me Chicago only exists from CTA to XI, so bearing that in mind..the clear winner is "You get it up"

9. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Ha, both are atrocious. Bill and Chicago collectively and together we're capable of so much more than this. That's why people got so disappointed in them, the video was trash too.

10. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

I knew I would regret reading this thread. I had completely forgotten the existence of this P.O.S. recording...until now. :sigh:

PyroMessiah likes this.
  11. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

At least the hit ballads had some charm. This one's just a terrible song, and though it screams mid-80s, it came out in 1991:

12. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

In a mine full of turds, this one shines brightly (if not brightest):

"Gently I'll Wake You"

Come to me, baby mine
    And I'll make love to you
    Just when the sun begins to shine
    On the morning dew
    I've been gone, far away
    The days they seemed like years
    Right by your side I'm gonna stay
    Kiss away your tears
    Gently I'll wake you
    I won't hardly shake you
    Gently I'll wake you
    I won't hardly shake you
    And I'll make sweet love to you
    Hold me tight, don't let go
    We'll dream the whole day through
    I missed you more than you could know
    I love only you
    Come to me, baby mine
    And I'll make love to you
    Just when the sun begins to shine
    On the morning dew
    Gently I'll wake you
    I won't hardly shake you
    Gently I'll wake you
    I won't hardly shake you
    And I'll make sweet love to you

Crimson jon, videoman and EdgardV like this.
  13. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

[​IMG]

14. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

To me, Chicago the band ceased to exist when the original guitarist (and one of the original three vocalists) Terry Kath died in January 1978 and when they no longer produced, managed and mentored by James Willim Guercio.

I was never a fan of the early 80's version of the band with David Foster as the new producer and it was also the time when the remaining original members of the band put the blame on Peter Cetera's songs on why "Chicago" become a ballad band. When Cetera left, I loathed them more when the remaining original members missed the opportunity to press the reset button and go back to their roots but instead continued to release more ballads and even worse, those ballads came from outside writers (Dianne Warren for example).

To answer the original question, the worst "Chicago" songs are the generic-sounding Dianne Warren songs they recorded for their album 19 ("Look Away", "I Don't Want To Live Without Your Love", "You're Not Alone", etc.) and the ballads written by Cetera replacement Jason Scheff ("We Can Last Forever", "What Kind of Man Would I'd Be", etc.).

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Crimson jon, Dougd, Hamhead and 3 others like this.
  15. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I have a friend who will really go off on a rant when you mention that song. It's really funny how he feels the decline of western civilization can be traced to one song

DavidD and PyroMessiah like this.
  16. AudiophilePhil

+1

17. impalaboy

impalaboy Forum Resident

Which, according to the survey, makes "25 or 6 to 4" tied for their worst song. Interesting... :confused:

18. kcjayhawk

kcjayhawk Forum Resident

Anything on Twenty One or 30. Those were just horrible (IMO). Thought their last single "Now" was the best thing they have done since 17.

19. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Don't blame me.. Blame SCIENCE!! :eek:

20. Then they would sound like 80's Tubes albums!

21. I think that carrying on for so long helped prevent them from getting into the RNRHOF earlier as they recorded a number of bad albums later in their career (after Hot Streets althiugh there were always a couple of gems on most of their albums).

22. MJConroy

MJConroy Senior Member

That gets my vote. I have a friend who says one of his buddies in high school actually wrote the song and sold the rights to Chicago. Who knows if that's true, but it is simple enough of a tune, so maybe. In any case, I would not want to claim authorship of it either!

23. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I love Terry Kath but Free Form Guitar is a challenge to get through. Talk about indulgence. I've only listened to it once and never needed to again.

It's still better than the remake of 25 or 6 to 4.

24. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Pretty much the third greatest hits album! I know some folks, like a friend of mine here, who think that those songs are the best output that Chicago released. He is from South America so maybe those were more famous there than their 70's recordings. I grew up with a Middle Eastern influence, and the songs in the third greatest hits were also their most renowned songs there.

25. AudiophilePhil

True!!

zebop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.