Possible Beatles US Vinyl box set on the way?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by raq0915, Jan 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

(For Y&T) two different song mixes on the stereo mix (the one that showed up in the 1970's) and three different song mixes on the mono.

2. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Yes, but the ones of the mono album were in the 2014 CD. I just mentioned the few unique mixes missing.

Gaslight likes this.
  3. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I personally would take decent original '60's pressings over some of those early to mid 70's pressings (the ones with the green or orange labels)- from posts I've read here, at least, those are generally the "worst" pressings of the Capitol Beatles LPs. I believe Steve himself once stated that some of those pressings even had little bits of paper embedded in the grooves...they were recycled vinyl!:yikes: And not in a good way...
    Same here. All my old mono Capitol Beatles LPs are at least VG condition. All of them play without skips or jumps; there's the odd pop here and there but I was quite surprised at the condition they were in, and, like yerself I certainly didn't pay over $20 for any of 'em (I think my original Canadian Apple Abbey Road was the most expensive, and that was $20). I've told the story before: possibly the greatest score of my entire vinyl collection was finding a "lot" on eBay with original mono Something New, Beatles '65, Rubber Soul and Sgt Pepper- for $10. Some of the covers were in kind of iffy condition (nothing a bit of sellotape couldn't fix, mind ya) but the records themselves were in damn good shape for their age. I set out to find as many original mono Capitol Beatles albums as I could- it took a while but I found most of them, they're the pride of my record collection. The only Beatles' LPs I have that aren't originals are the U.S. Revolver ('78 Capitol), Second Album (Apple, see below) and the UK Hard Day's Night and Help! (both '87 Capitol remasters, both are "Wally" cuts)
    See above. If yer not looking for absolute "mint condition" LPs it is quite easy to find very good copies for cheap. They're definitely out there- a source like Discogs is indispensable for that kid of thing. I would rather take my chances using Discogs or eBay when it comes to buying old Beatles records; at least in my neck of the woods all the second hand record stores, flea markets etc vastly overprice their Beatles albums, no matter what pressing they are. 'Round these parts, yeah, you can pay thirty or fourty bucks even for those bad early 70's pressings. It's pretty ridiculous, actually.
    The purple label Capitol reissues from around 1978 or so are mighty fine as well. My U.S. Revolver sounds excellent. Nice bass:righton:As I said above, other than original pressings the '78 Purples or the '83 Rainbows are the only pressings I would consider. Not even the early '70's Apple label reissues...I've got Second Album on Apple (an Xmas present from my wife a couple of years back) and that Apple label just looks wrong on those early albums to me:laugh: I got the '87's for the movie LP's mainly for sentimental reasons (the '87's were the first ones I heard), even if my Help! LP doesn't play side one in mono like my old '87 version did. I think the mono side one was "exclusive" only to the Canadian pressing of the '87 (the one I have is a U.S. pressing). What tipped me off about the mono with my old one (bought in 1988 or so) was, "Hey! This is the same version of 'Help!' that's on Rarities!"
    Yeppers...and after that I might be so inclined to throw on the U.S. Revolver as well:shh:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    daveidmarx likes this.
  4. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Haha... I am the proud owner of a complete set of ALL the Beatles U.S. albums on Apple in NM (including the ones that just "look wrong" with the Apple label ;) ). I also have all the orange label ones. But those are for sentimental reasons as that's how I first bought them as a kid in the 70's. Very interesting to read about the '87 Canadian version of Help! substituting the mono mix for side one. I knew about the CD screw-up (where both Help! and Rubber Soul were initially released with the original '65 stereo mixes and not those horrible modern remixes by George Martin), but your post was the first I have heard about the vinyl screw-up as well. Interesting. I'm sure you know about the U.S. screw-ups of Beatles VI and Yesterday And Today, where midway through the '83 rainbow label pressing (and for the entire run of the '88 purple label pressing), the mono mixes were used for those albums. I'd had the Beatles VI mis-press for years and only recently acquired a mint Yesterday And Today mis-press. Both records sound absolutely stunning, being Wally cuts and all. Hearing Yesterday And Today sound this good in mono almost makes up for the lack of a "Capitol Records Vol. 3" box set.... Almost! ;)

The Beave likes this.
  5. ohnothimagen

When it comes to the '87 Canadian Help! LP being mono on side one, in the interest of full disclosure, in those days I didn't know my mono/stereo from a hole in the ground (I was just a kid)- I just knew the title track was the mono mix thanks to the Rarities album. I believe another member here had the same LP and was able to confirm side one was mono. Side two was definitely the '87 remix, Plastic Ono Band reverb on "Dizzy Miss Lizzie" and all. It is also worth mentioning that those '87 Help! and Rubber Soul CD's that used the original 1965 mixes by mistake were also Canadian versions.

If I didn't already have an old mono Yesterday And Today (that I only paid something like $3 for) you better believe I'd be seeking out one of those '83 or '88 mono pressings.

When it comes to the early Capitol albums on the Apple label from what I understand they sound decent (certainly I have no issue with the sound of my copy of Second Album) but they just look strange on the Apple label. I sorta equate The Beatles on the Apple label with The Beatles having facial hair, know what I mean?:laugh: I want to say it was the lime green Capitol pressings from the late 60's/early 70's that Steve said were bad and really crappy quality vinyl.

6. daveidmarx

I have an almost complete set of the lime-green (I'm only missing Revolver), all in fantastic shape and while they don't sound nearly as good as the '83 rainbows, they sound better overall than the orange, which really do sound pretty bad. As for the '88 pressing of Y&T (or Beatles VI for that matter), I'm still on the hunt. My experience has been that those '88 pressings are quite difficult to come by, which is why I was extremely happy to find that the '83 rainbow I had taken a chance on for $10- at a record show turned out to be in mono. If it is any indicator, I've noticed that midway through the rainbow pressing that Capitol switched from posterboard covers back to cardboard, though a decidedly different looking cardboard than the 60's originals. Both mono mis-pressings of VI and Y&T have the cardboard covers, while my posterboard rainbows of the same albums are in stereo.

7. ohnothimagen

The '88 mono Y & T:
    https://www.discogs.com/The-Beatles-Yesterday-And-Today/release/3584313
    '88 stereo Y & T:
    https://www.discogs.com/The-Beatles-Yesterday-And-Today/release/8366642
    '88 VI:
    https://www.discogs.com/Beatles-Beatles-VI/release/4506303

Man...those are pricey, aren't they?

8. daveidmarx

Just because that's what they are selling, that doesn't mean that's what they are worth! ;) But I can totally see those C1 pressings of the U.S. albums selling in the $30- range. That seems about right, due to their relative scarcity (they'd have to be mint, of course). $100- is way over the top, though! :rolleyes:

Very interesting that they list a stereo C1 Y&T. Up to now I had believed that they entire run of the C1 pressings were in mono. Learn something new every day, huh? ;)

9. ohnothimagen

Absolutely. See my post further up the page about the price gouging that can happen when it comes to just about any Beatles vinyl.

daveidmarx likes this.
  10. Nobody put ME in charge, it's just common sense. It all comes down to the all-mighty buck. If YOU'VE ever been responsible for a business, YOU will realize that a SMART businessman doesn't throw money at something that won't make more money. Seeing that the 2014 U.S. albums CD set is still around after a couple of years as well as the 2004 and 2006 Capitol albums CD sets plus 2009 stereo remasters, CD and vinyl, common sense shows that they weren't as big of sellers as they had hoped for.
    If they do decide to re-issue the Capitol albums on vinyl, you can be sure that the best mixes of the tracks will be used. Whether YOU or I will buy them doesn't matter. What matters is if UMG feels it can sell enough copies that they can make a profit in the range they need to. The days of "loss-leaders" are over.

Shaker Steve likes this.
  11. daveidmarx

The stereo and mono box sets are still around too. It doesn't mean that they didn't sell. The 2014 box set was widely criticized for not including the authentic mixes that were advertised right in the set's title ("The U.S. Albums"). Using any other mixes would be at odds with what the set is purporting to represent. The main things that were criticized about the 2004 + 2006 sets regarded the packaging (jackets easily slipped out of the box + poor reproduction of the LP covers). The sound quality of the first set was also criticized a bit, but that was improved quite a bit for the second box. The obvious solution would be to retain the correct mixes (which no one criticized, as that was what people who bought the set were EXPECTING in the first place), upgrade the sound quality (AAA for a vinyl release), and re-vamp the packaging. Then EVERYONE who wants the U.S. albums will be happy. The happy customers will translate into more sales a lot more than pissed off customers would.

12. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

if they want to simply do the 2014 set on vinyl it may save them money but they won't get any of mine. I'll just keep listening to my old Capitols.

daveidmarx and ohnothimagen like this.
  13. There are many of us who are tired of re-buying the same stuff over and over again. If they re-issue a Capitol albums set on vinyl, and it is authentically reproduced, then it will include the "Duophonic" versions that many complained about in the Capitol albums CD sets.
    That brings us to the re-issue vinyl itself. Since Capitol nor EMI nor UMG has their own pressing plants, where will they be pressed? Will they use Capitol's standby California pressing plant which they've used for decades, Rainbo Records? Remember, the U.S. version of the stereo LP box was pressed there and many complained. Will they use the 2nd-rate Optima pressing plant in Germany, which I have personally experienced their lack of quality control? Maybe RTI or Pallas? All the original U.S. version Beatles albums were pressed by Capitol in their own plants in the U.S. or Canada. So, there ends a fully "authentic" re-issue.

14. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Maybe it's just me, but is there that really that great a need for this? A box set is going to be in the $400 range for everything, plus a book explaining the difference between the U.K. albums and their U.S. counterparts. The purple '78 pressings and the rainbow '83s are not at all difficult to get in mint condition for an average of $25 each, so if you really want the whole set of U.S. albums including the completely superfluous The Beatles Story, you could likely have them all for $300 -- and probably less if you're patient.

Thesmellofvinyl likes this.
  15. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

I would love to have a US Vinyl Set...I have a complete set of the "Purple Capitol Label Albums" and a complete set of the "Capitol Rainbow Reissues". Both of these re-issues sound fantastic. These are readily available on Ebay and Discogs as well. It might take a while to get the complete sets but well worth it and trying to find them is half of the fun. Highly recommend !

ohnothimagen and Thesmellofvinyl like this.
  16. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I want them with the Apple label!

17. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Also available now and not that expensive or hard to find.

18. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Those Capitol reissues were fantastic. I found the "very hard to find" Canadian Stereo "BEATLEMANIA! With The Beatles" and it was pristine. I almost regret selling it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. MedozK

MedozK Forum Resident

Please excuse my ignorance, but I have been trying to find the original US pressings for a while and I have been looking for the Mono versions, because I had read such bad things about the stereo versions. Are these Purple labels and Capitol Rainbow reissues Stereo or Mono? Sorry again for the question, just wondering. Thanks

20. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

The 1978 purple labels and 1983 colorband labels are all stereo reissues, although a few of the 80's reissues were mistakenly pressed with the mono mixes.
    People also sometimes forget about the 1988 purple labels, which sound just as good as the 80's colorbands.

21. MedozK

MedozK Forum Resident

Thanks so much for the reply. If I were to start hunting these down, which would you recommend, purple or colorbands?

22. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

In my experience the 1983 and 1988 reissues are usually better than the 1978's, since they were on higher quality vinyl and pressed by Specialty most of the time.

23. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

The 83 rainbows sound amazing.

e.s. likes this.
  24. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

You keep harping on this, but here's the thing I've discovered with Capitol Beatles LPs: They almost universally play better than a visual grading would indicate. They're heavy, well-pressed, and play satisfyingly loud. After reading an entire thread of you nitpicking about what you will and won't buy, I'm left relatively confused as to what exactly you're looking for in the end. Buying used LPs almost invariably involves some form of wear, and Capitol pressings are some of the most forgiving in this regard.

daveidmarx and ohnothimagen like this.
  25. ohnothimagen

Indeed. Like I said, for records that were fifty plus years old, I was quite surprised at the condition and overall playability of those Capitol Rainbows. I would be inclined to say that my old mono Capitol Beatles LP's are in better shape than my old mono original Parlophone A Collection Of Beatles Oldies, even that one was graded as "VG" on Discogs as well. No skips or jumps on that one, either, but it's pretty crackly. Same for my old Decca mono Stones albums. Maybe them old Capitol LP's were built to last.

john lennonist likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.