Taboo - New show on BBC with Tom Hardy

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wild Frank, Jan 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident Thread Starter

Did anyone catch the first episode of Taboo? Its a new show on the BBC staring Tom Hardy. It was created by Hardy along with his dad and Steven Knight (who also created Peaky Blinders). Looks like 8 hour episodes and the first one certainly hooked me.

Taboo (2017 TV series) - Wikipedia »

2. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

It premier's on FX here in the States later this week. Looking forward to it.

3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I'll be watching this, too....
    Have no idea what it's about... so, fingers crossed.

4. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

Really enjoyed the first episode. Tom Hardy is just perfect for the role.

5. Wild Frank

I
    I went into it without knowing the subject matter. I thought is was extremely good and set up the story-arc well. Hardy was superb as normal.

6. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Love Hardy. He's a genius at playing that type of role.

It was a bit hardcore for BBC1 on a Saturday night I thought, but great fun.

7. vince

Speaking of....
    Do you think that we here in the US might see a little 'censoring', or does it just 'cross the line'?
    FX has let a few things slide in the past. They slap a big TV-MA in front of show in which things get a little too risqué.

8. Wild Frank

The first episode wasn't too bad in that regard but I feel there is certainly scope for 'crossing the line' later in the season. It is very dark and grim though.

9. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Its more the tone and language than any images so you may be alright. Although there was a brothel scene. I can't remember hearing language that bad on a mainstream prime time TV show, um, ever really.

10. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I'm somewhat surprised that Hardy would take on television at this point. But, having said that,
    `Taboo' debuts here in Canada tomorrow evening.

11. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Its the golden age of television though. Lots of established film actors are doing TV now, look at True Detective or House of Cards. I think the 'barrier' between the two has been removed mostly.

It's a chance for a great actor like Hardy to develop a character over say 12 hours rather than 2, and obviously Hardy partly created the series so it's his own thing.

12. Rufus McDufus

He's well known for his role in recent Peaky Blinders series, and again really excelled and made the show for me.

13. Wild Frank

He was spellbinding in Peaky Blinders and there does feel like some visual and stylistic links between that show in Taboo. Is there another season of Peaky Blinders on the horizon?

14. Rufus McDufus

Renewed for two seasons of 6 episodes each, 4th season to air probably in late 2017.

Wild Frank likes this.
  15. Wild Frank

Thanks for the update. Will be interesting to see if Hardy returns in that (If I recall he survived the previous season).

16. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

A less-than-flattering review in USA Today. My enthusiasm has been tempered somewhat.....

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

IMDb gave it 9.4.

18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, I've read quite a few of those, generally along the lines of it being less than the some of its parts...

19. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

I thought it was outstanding. Hardy was born for these roles. Love 'Old' London. I agree with a comment a bit further up that it was a bit too dark and near the mark for BBC prime time on a Saturday night but not a problem for me!!!

CBC and Jim B. like this.
  20. vince

Not bad... I'm sure it's 'building'...
    AND, FX kept all the 'cursing' and nudity in it!
    Good for them!

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  21. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I watched the show last night and really enjoyed it. Hardy is just such a riveting character.
    The 90-minutes just flew by. Much better than, say, `The Bastard Executioner' which was
    just abysmal. However, wish they had gone to HBO, et al. Those commercial breaks were
    irritating to say the least.

CBC, Kyhl, vince and 1 other person like this.
  22. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

He certainly holds your attention on screen. Have you seen him in 'Locke' - 80 odd minutes of just him sat in a car. I expected it to be a bit of a stretch but it's riveting.

CBC and BLUESJAZZMAN like this.
  23. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Hardy looks like he could be hangin' with Bill the Butcher!

24. I DVR'ed it and watched it today. Rather enjoyed it and like where I think it's headed. Good imagery and Tom Hardy is really growing on me in roles like this.

...... don't think my wife would care for it though. This one will be a solo watch at our house unless she expresses an interest.

25. Agree 100%. Seemed the breaks got more frequent and longer as the show went on. Glad I watch almost everything from the DVR and can skip through.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.