Possible Beatles US Vinyl box set on the way?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by raq0915, Jan 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

I bought a good chunk of my mono Capitol rainbows on the same day from the same dollar bin, all from the same collection of a 60s teenager who put delightful Peanuts "Property Of" stickers on the back and had a younger sibling that got at them with a blue marker--Revolver has a nice colorful cover now. But those records still play immaculately well, even though I know they got more than a few spins on a teenager's substandard record player in a bedroom in Michigan.

I almost don't even want to upgrade--I like the imagined backstory too much.

athensdrums and Bingo Bongo like this.
  2. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I found my mono Yesterday And Today in the $3 bin at one of the used record stores I perused while on my honeymoon in Victoria, BC. From what I could see, the only reason the guy would have put that LP in the bargain bin for only $3 (instead of on the shelf for $30) was because the bottom of the cover was coming apart a bit- again, nothing a bit of sellotape won't fix. But I remember picking up the album, checking out the condition of the vinyl -VG+ at least, damn near spotless for its age- and discreetly studying the cover itself for any signs that it was a paste on over a "Butcher" cover (alas, it wasn't). And I was thinking, "Jesus, this guy has no idea what he has here...":laugh:, I mean the damn record was still worth more than three bucks even in spite of the cover IMO. But I kept my mouth shut and just added it to the pile I'd already picked out, while my new bride was standing there observing all this and no doubt thinking, "What the hell is he doing? Why is he holding that record cover up to the light and tilting it around? Why doesn't he just pay for these damn records so we can go get some lunch, I'm hungry!":laugh:

3. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Actually there is a very rare UK EMI Two-Box Export Pressing of "Magical Mystery Tour" which I'm pretty sure was mastered from the original UK master tapes and goes for big bucks.

# PCTC 255 / Stereo

I have a SEALED copy with that catalog number, but I don't know if it's the export copy or some other pressing. :shrug:

4. john lennonist

Actually I assume some people would / do want the U.S. tracklist, in a U.S. cover with the superior-sounding UK masters (as were released on the 2014 U.S. replica sleeve CDs).

Tons of people prefer the U.S. "Rubber Soul" tracklist (and slightly different cover)... and many prefer the U.S. "Revolver" tracklist (and slightly different cover).

Not everyone wants duophonic, etc.

Mark Wilson and JJ3810 like this.
  5. Dr-Winston

Dr-Winston Forum Resident

I have a two box copy of PCTC 255 UK pressing of Magical Mystery Tour. The inner sleeve is dated November 1984 and I bought it in WH Smiths in Nottingham for £5.99 in 1984 (I stick the receipts inside the sleeve). I believe it plays the UK Stereo of the EP tracks on Side 1 and the US mixes for the LP on side two, complete with fake stereo although I don't have it to hand to check. Not sure it's that rare though?

6. john lennonist

IINM, there's a regular UK #PCTC 255 pressing of "Magical Mystery Tour" (with the mixes you describe above) and a completely different mastering, from the Original UK masters, which was an "Export-Only" pressing.

(There were a few "Export-Only" Beatles albums from the UK that go for big bucks).

The problem (for me, anyway) is that apparently both the "regular" UK and the Export-Only "Magical Mystery Tour" both bore the same catalog number (PCTC 255) and since my copy is sealed, I have no way to find out which one I have without opening it.

And I don't want to open it because, if I have the export, I'd be happy to part with it for the money it goes for ($150+ for opened copies the last time I looked... and I'm sure a sealed copy would be worth even more).

7. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

You will not go wrong with either "Purple Label" mastered by Capitol in the dead wax or the 83 rainbow Capitol label. I have all of them and they sound terrific. Getting harder to find but worth the time and fun of
    hunting them all down.

8. Dr-Winston

Dr-Winston Forum Resident

But if you don't open it how do you know it's the export copy? :hide:

Shaker Steve likes this.
  9. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Parlophone PCTC 255 was an "import" title, a foreign title to be made and sold in the UK. It used the US album master for both sides, including the US version of Walrus on side one, with a four beat intro. There was a yellow vinyl version that can be a bit pricey.

The Beatles Collection » Magical Mystery Tour, Parlophone PCTC 255. »
    The Beatles Collection » Magical Mystery Tour, Parlophone PCTC 255 (yellow vinyl). »

The German MMT LP used the US mix of Walrus, except with a six beat intro. Side two is the same as the CD.

There was a 1973 cassette title in the UK that used the same mixes as later found on the CD, with the UK six beat intro for Walrus.

slane likes this.
  10. slane

slane Forum Resident

Original Capitol mixes? Common UK mixes? (And I keep seeing references to the '2009 mixes' - what on earth would they be??)

In most cases the mixes were the same for both countries. Only a few of the US mixes (all done in London, Capitol never remixed anything from multitrack) differed from the UK mixes, and the US Albums box contains most of them (FACT: it contains all 13 of the truly unique US mono mixes - only mono fold-downs have been replaced).

Granted, the stereo versions are a little different (and more complicated), but I fail to understand the hate for the 2014 mono versions. You should really give them a try.

Oh, and 'the "official" UK albums on CD' are sometimes not exactly as they originally were released in the UK either. That's what happens in remastering :)

11. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

The thing I find funny is that people always associate the US albums with Duophonic, and yet only a handful of songs on the original Capitol stereo albums had the duophonic process applied to them, with the Second Album maybe being the exception.
    And in some cases the added reverb actually makes certain songs sound better in my opinion.

12. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I actually like the capitol mixes

13. culabula

culabula Unread author.

The 2014 mono is superb. What hate ?

ibanez_ax likes this.
  14. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

This is a curious matter, indeed. Many US fans claim for the duophonics because those are the "original" sounds and replacing them with real stereo results in "fake US albums". However, that is exactly the same thing that Capitol did in the 70s and 80s with the Yesterday & Today reissues. Why don't these people call those reissues "fake" or rant about them? Not only that, they also complain about those stereo mixes not being in the 2014 box, so they have embraced those upgrades.

And yes, the upgrades have also ocurred in the UK catalog. The three fake stereo tracks present in the original albums (Love Me Do, PS I Love You, It's Only A northern Song and we could even include She Loves You, fake stereo in A Collection of Beatle Oldies) have been replaced with mono. I don't think anyone misses them.

I can understand criticism about the few missing unique mixes, and about the use of the 1987 remixed Help! and RS tracks (although that is also an issue in the UK catalog since 1987), but the disappearance of the various manipulations (duophonics, extra reverb in certain tracks, etc) seems just natural. And even if one wants that, he has the Capitol boxes and the old LPs.

ibanez_ax, Onder and slane like this.
  15. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

No Dexter, no party

SixOClockBoos and colgems1966 like this.
  16. MedozK

MedozK Forum Resident

Another question from a newbie, How authentic (unique mixes, duophonics, extra reverb in certain tracks, etc) are the 1983 Capitol reissues?

17. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

As far as I can tell Capitol never substituted a different mix on later reissues.
    The Capitol albums continued to use the same US mixes up until the 1988 purple labels.

18. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Yes, they did. The three duophonic tracks in Y&T were replaced by real stereo ones.

Gaslight likes this.
  19. slane

slane Forum Resident

And as far as I can tell, people have always been on the hunt for the all true-stereo MMT as well (only released outside the US until the CD). Is that fake? ;)

And not forgetting that the mono Yellow Submarine tracks - originally released as fold down mono in the UK - have now been supplanted on the Mono Box by the true mono mixes. Which is exactly the same as what's been done on the mono US albums (the only alteration made).

I haven't heard anyone complain about the mono YS tracks (only the opposite, in fact), or the absence of the four fake-stereo tracks on the 2009 remasters.

20. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

that's because in America the "authentic" copy would be stereo anyway, so it makes no difference.

21. gpg6212

gpg6212 Well-Known Member

Beatlephilia knows no bounds

Jayseph and e.s. like this.
  22. slane

slane Forum Resident

Why? I'm fairly certain that the early US albums sold far more mono copies.

23. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I'm still confused. Unless you're new to both The Beatles and vinyl, doesn't most everybody have some version of these? Or multiple versions? Who is the target audience for this imagined box set?

24. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Didnt realize anyone hated the 2014 Monos... What was there not to like?

ibanez_ax likes this.
  25. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident Thread Starter

A lot of people in the VC own these, but its still very hard to find nice clean versions of these for cheap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.