Cleaning records

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Scottr1966, Jan 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

Sure, your method seems fine. my main thing is not to be too ocd with it and not take too long, i have a ton of records. I want them fully dried by the rcm so that's why I have the zerostat, but I don't have a huge problem with static anyway.

2. Scottr1966

Scottr1966 Member Thread Starter

Cool thanks! Yeah I can get it done pretty quickly. I added a step by first cleaning my brushes with alcohol and distilled water with a toothbrush with a little Dawn tossed in then rinse with distilled.

3. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

I think the "classic" cleaning process needs to be shared here today, and just remember, don't worry so much about the label, and be sure and play your wood glue record!! Good stuff!

4xoddic likes this.
  4. Scottr1966

Scottr1966 Member Thread Starter

LMAO

5. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

My improvised RCM from 2010. Best watched with the sound muted. :)

6. soulboogaloo

soulboogaloo Forum Resident

I've personaly indulged myself for XMas and bought a Pro-Ject VCS machine. It's a really great tool, not that expensive actually (around 400€).
    It came with an alcohol-based solution, but I also bought some L'Art du Son fluid, mixed with distilled water, results are quite great actually!

7. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

I actually have started using an old turntable(my ancient Yamaha)to clean my records. It's certainly more efficient than by hand. I use a mfsl brush,(w/pad)and a Audio Technica anti-static brush, and mfsl super record cleaner. I'm adding enzyme cleaner shortly.(en route) Ive, so far, turned quite a few noisy records into pleasant listening experiences. I've also turned some so-so vinyl purchases into great scores with this system. I never thought I'd ever dare attempt to clean a record. I used to be kind of scared of them actually. I just took some old crap records and practiced and I'm very comfortable with it now.

Licorice pizza likes this.
  8. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Congrats, Brian. I would've never thought of cleaning one either till I browsed through Vinyl Engine almost two years ago. Now I have my odd diy mix that has worked on some of the worst records imaginable. I gotta remind myself that it's just plastic. I will live another day , whether the results are bad or good. But so far it's been almost two years of great results.:)

Brian9229 likes this.
  9. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

That's awesome, glad to hear it!:righton:

10. Spsesq

Spsesq Forum Resident

My system:
    1) light clean of major dust with MOFI record velvet brush;
    2) TERGIKLEEN solution (15-20 drops makes 1 gallon) on my Okki Nokki cleaner;
    3) I use one of the soft paint pads to gently brush the solution into the grooves;
    4) Vacuum the solution 1.5 revolutions (by the time the vacuum disengages the wand it is two full revolutions)
    5) Rinse with DISTILLED water only;
    6) Vacuum the rinse in 1.5 revolutions again:
    7) Zap the album with my Milty ZeroStat gun and finally;
    8) Place back in MOFI anti static sleeve.
    9) OPTIONAL IF NECESSARY: On a new, used or otherwise untreated record, I apply LAST record preservative.

That's it.
    With this system I only need to do a light sweep of the record on the turntable with my carbon fiber anti-static brush, clean the stylus with my Onzow Stylus cleaner. I never use a brush on my stylus. Too risky on my SM Black.
    Steve

11. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

How long do you work the Tergikleen solution into the grooves?

12. I clean off the dirty cleaner fluid and vacuum. Wash with distilled water and vacuum again.

13. sami

sami Mono still rules

Daniel, how much shampoo/conditioner do you use, and what % of alcohol vs. water? I've been using distilled water with a bit of distilled white vinegar and a couple of drops of Dawn as a scrubbing solution, then rinsing in the Spin Clean, and it works very well.

14. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

I just use a Knosti Disco cleaning machine, which is very similar to the spinclean. I leave the records to dry on the stand included with the Knosti. The main problem is that it leaves the whole room stinking of alcohol and after 10 records the records aren't the only thing spinning around.

15. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Milty ZeroStat vinyl surface.
    Wipe gently with record cloth over label/surface removing dust/debris.
    Blow compressed air (short burst) over vinyl surface once the record is on the platter removing the last bit of dust/debris.

Disc Doctor brush #1 few drops of VPI fluid with 91% isopropyl alcohol added with a couple of drops of Rona Window Cleaner
    (alcohol based), 3 caps of white/clear vinegar. 75/25 distilled/alcohol mix
    Gently scrub back/forth motion (per disc doctor instructions) around 5-6 times.
    Leave Disc Doctor brush #1 on the surface and let the platter rotate close to label 3 times in both directions.

*Vacuum forward 2 times/reverse 2 ½ times*

Disc Doctor brush #2 few drops of Disc Doctor fluid.
    Gently scrub back/forth motion (per disc doctor instructions) around 5-6 times. Remove foamed fluid with DD brush.
    Leave Disc Doctor brush #2 on the surface and let the platter rotate 3 times in both directions.

Add distilled water to a last applicator and apply to vinyl surface let rotate 3 times back/forth.

Add distilled water to Cyclone brush, apply to vinyl surface let rotate 3 times back/forth.

Last Record Preservative added, let rotate 4-6 times to buff off any residue.

Remove cleaned LP :wave:

sean

16. Spsesq

Spsesq Forum Resident

Hi
    I use the paint pad to gently let the Tergikleen get into the grooves. I do that for 3-4 revolutions one way and 3-4 revolutions the other way. Vacuum (1.5 revolutions) it up and then, as required by Tergikleen instruction rinse the record with distilled water for 3-4 revolutions (with a goat hair brush from Okki Nokki), vacuum (1.5 revolutions) and then finish with the Zap gun, and put it away or in the necessary case apply the LAST preservative.
    Steve

jon9091 and quicksilverbudie like this.
  17. Licorice pizza

I used that exact formula prior to the shampoo, Mark, minus the vinegar. I had good results. Then I read about shampoo/conditioner on Vinyl Engine. So, basically, I just decided to use another type of soap in the mix.

I experimented on some duplicates I had, Silk Degrees and Night Moves I believe. As soon as I dropped the needle, it sounded different, like the wax came out of my ears (of course, mastering and your stylus have a lot to do with it). I just sat there and began literally hearing new things that I hadn't heard before. And I also noticed that the surface noise was less than before.

So my version of this cleaner is half a sprayer of tap water (or distilled if you prefer) about a quarter cup of 91% isopropyl alcohol and the rest with as much shampoo/conditioner as possible, I use Pantene but any formula will work. I also have an extra sprayer handy with plain water and alcohol, about 50/50. This is my rinse. I never put albums under running water. So basically, I cover the label with a round coaster. Then I pre-clean the album with a microfiber cloth and the alcohol/water sprayer. Then I put the record on a towel, put the coaster on the label and spray the shampoo mix generously all over. I fold several microfiber cloths, squarelike, one to clean, one to wipe off rinse and two to buff gently. I do several circular motions with the mix, then the rinse and finally the buffing.

Personally, if my album is NM or brand new, I give it a very light cleaning. But if it looks like it's been through the Civil War, lotsa hand pressure and maybe two cleanings. That's the key to getting all that gunk out of the grooves. But, all in all, YOU gotta experiment and find what works best for you. This is just how I do it. And to use that cliche...YMMV. If it has deep gashes and lotsa hairline scratches all over, I personally wouldn't even bother with it. This hobby has given me an eagle eye when shopping for records. I can literally tell from first sight which scuffs and scratches are harmless and which ones make an album useless. But I'm sure you already have this talent as well. :)

sami likes this.
  18. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I used to make my own, about 1/2 and 1/2 cheap vodka and distilled water with Non-Ultra Joy added. It had to be Non-Ultra, as that is the less concentrated stuff. But I've pretty much settled on the VPI concentrate. If that doesn't get it, I'll do a glue peel.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  19. sami

sami Mono still rules

It can be any shampoo/conditioner, or do you use a specific brand? And your spray container has like 1/4 of the shampoo?? Wow!

Thanks for this - I get good results doing it my way, but I absolutely have to give that a try, as I trust your judgment.

20. Licorice pizza

I use Pantene 2-in-1, about $4 at Target. But, yeah, Mark, any brand will work. I remember the OP on vinyl engine saying "soap is your friend use it liberally". So I do.

Btw, I also use my mix to clean the album jackets, just a tiny spray lightly since it tends to rub off certain colors.

sami likes this.
  21. sami

sami Mono still rules

Giving it a go this weekend - I'll report back!

22. Licorice pizza

Cool, Mark! Remember though, the rinse is very important. I always get a tiny bit of build up on my stylus after first play. But nothing a quick dip in my Zerodust and my AudioTechnica brush can't handle. :)

ps. Forgot to add that you're gonna notice that after cleaning, most static disappears.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    sami likes this.
  23. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

I started doing this recently, and I'm really happy with the results so far. I'm using 2 in 1 shampoo/conditioner under running warm tap water. I'm scrubbing lightly with one of the pads from my Spin Clean, rinsing thoroughly under the running tap, and drying gently with microfiber towels. It's been particularly effective with some old, noisy vinyl, making some records that I could hardly stand to listen to quite enjoyable. I'm checking and cleaning my stylus frequently, but not seeing any unusual buildup.

24. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

I've actually been wondering if what I'm hearing after cleaning is due more a lack of dust and dirt or a lack of static. Hard to know without a microscope, I guess.

25. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Finally taking the plunge and trying the infamous wood glue treatment. Found a nice looking pink label AT/GP ABB at Fillmore East yesterday. I did a regular cleaning and scrubbing bubbles soak but it still has unacceptable levels of surface noise. It had serious mold issues on all four sides. I'm hoping the wood glue method fixes this. It's a great sounding LP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.