Suggestions on new speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Brian Barker, Jan 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are" Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some help in selecting new speakers. It's going to be a few months still but I'm starting to do some research. Mainly looking for good brand names, model suggestions are welcome as well.

I'm in the process of moving to a new house, at this time I don't have room dimensions. I own a Sony STR D 1090, an older receiver but it's a pretty decent one, I do plan on updating it at some time in the future but not until I have to. It's capable of surround sound but doesn't have a hook up for a sub woofer, but that's down the road. What I have now are Infinity SM122's, I know they aren't regarded as great ( or even good ) but I'm used to them but would like something better.I Mainly listen to rock.

I'd like to stay around the $500 range for a pair but could go up a little for the "right thing". I don't live very close to a great place to audition any, but plan to do so when I learn a bit more. From what I've seen I've heard very good things about Fluance, and I've seen Klipsch in that price range as well along with some others. I've been looking at floor standing towers but if there are bookshelf models that will supply the same sound I'm open to checking them out as well.

I know it's a broad question, but thanks for any ideas!

2. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

3. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

Elac B6 Debut (a bit more than $500/pr, but well worth checking out).

The smaller B5's would come in closer to $500, but I'd suggest stepping up to the larger model.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  4. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

The Elac Debut B5 and 6 are actually $229 and $279. The Elac F5 floorstander is $559. (The larger F6 is $750.) Music Direct does give you a 60-day satisfaction guarantee.

Search ยป

displayname likes this.
  5. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Go on Audiogon or Hifi Mart and buy the best/newest pair of Vandersteen Model 2's (2CE perhaps) that you can afford. They are the entry point to truly high end sound. $500 won't buy you much in new speakers, but it will get you a very good pair of used.

displayname likes this.
  6. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

If you check current threads there's some raves about the wharfdale Denton which run 499 on music direct
    And as already mentioned the elac b6 can be had quite cheap right now

For floor standing speakers you may have to up the budget a little

7. Brian Barker

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will have some wiggle room and can up the price a little, but figured 500 was an okay starting point. I will check out all the names mentioned, and will appreciate any further ideas.

8. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

KEF Q500 are on sale for $350/ea. normally $550/ea. an outstanding deal!

9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

my suggestion:

listen to as many as you can (which i know is not easy in this day and age)

and then:

buy the ones that sound the best to you.

it is impossible for anyone anywhere anyhow to tell you which speakers sound the best to you, only you can do that.

10. kmurp

kmurp Forum Resident

Maybe a good suggestion but would the Vandersteens be good if he doesn't sit and listen in their sweet spot?

11. Brian Barker

Thanks, I agree with you and know that all too well. Speakers are an area that I don't have a lot of knowledge on, so I was really looking for suggestions of brands to check out when I do get to make the trek to start listening. I only have a Best Buy close to me to listen to anything, while I might find something serviceable there I know there has to be better names to investigate than what they have in stock.

12. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

I know Vandersteen is all hung up on the placement and seating position, but honestly they always sounded good wherever I was sitting. Even at full retail, the reaction to first hearing Model 2's is usually shock at their low price considering their performance.

The newer Treos and Quatros are less sensitive to placement, but more $$.

13. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Does your Best Buy have a Magnolia within? If so you can audition a few nicer speakers there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.